Let's talk about the concerts we saw!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My first concert was Ozzy back in '81 when I was a sophomore in high school. After that I saw Black Sabbath, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Saxon, among other metal bands.

When in college, I got to attend a Robin Trower concert for free, it was good but *loud*.

I got to see RL Burnside in a small dive in Wichita, KS in the late 80s.

My brother and I went to see Pink Floyd in St. Louis, later I was able to catch them again in Kansas City.

I also saw Steve Morse and Eric Johnson at the end of the '80s

I saw BB King and Stanley Jordan at a jazz festival.

I went to see 10,000 Maniacs in Kansas City in the early '90s and got to meet Natalie Merchant. She was very nice and signed my CD.

Throughout the '90s I saw David Lindley 6 or 7 times, he always puts on a great show. I saw Lyle Lovett a few times as well as the Califronia Guitar Trio.

I saw King Crimson w/Adrian Belew once.

I've had the good luck to be able to see Neil Haverstick a few times. He plays microtonal guitar music.

steve

The best I've seen I think was Bruce Springsteen in the late 70s. The most fun would be Jimmy Buffet. I've lost count of how many JB shows I've been to. If you can't have a good time at a JB concert odds are you're dead.

Not sure if this qualifies but right up there would be Miss Saigon, performed in Mpls a couple years ago. Granted, it's an off-Broadway play but it's all music.

good topic

Last month I saw The Strokes at Montreux jazz festival (not jazz any more in my opinion). It was really good. More then I expected. The athmosfere was crazy since the halls in Montreux do not accept a lot of people, so we were squashed but in a kinda nice way :)

Last three good ones that I remember were Eric Truffaz on Walk of the Giant Turtle tour. Like Miles is alive, if you like the trumpet, the modern sorounding this guy you have to check out. Then Red Hot Chilli Peppers 2003 Zurich Hallenstadion), maybe because I was waiting for long to see them live (acctually both my wife and I are huge fans) but it was something I will remeber for a long time and the Hendrix song at the end, delicious. I was jumping like I was 18 again trough the whole concert (bought the t-shirt too :)) The last one was the choice of a freind. I have never listened to the Eels before that day (I think was january this year Fri-Son Fribourg). All acoustic band, one guy that knows how to play everuthing that moves :) and poetry that is Dilan like style. I had a great time but I saw that regular fans were not that happy, I guess they are much harder on the CD-s. And what I liked the most is you now when the lights go on and all people rush to get out first. Well I am one of the guys that waits that everybody crushes their bones and teeth to go out and drinks beer in the corner. Then I go out slowly. Just a half hour after the finished and almoust everybody was left the Eels went out dresed in pygamas and played a couple of songs more. Thats great stuff!

I was again this spring invited to join one frined who had a ticket more for Yann Tiersen, the guy that wrote wonderfull music for the move Amelie Poulain, at Fri-Son Fribourg. I was so badly dissapointed. It was a mixure of rock, his music, metal, psycodelic stuff that this was the firs time in my life I went out before the concert. I mean no concept at all and you can find a lot of bands that do music in their own genre much beter than hi was trying to do. Until he sorts what he wants to be, a rock star or a composer for movies and an author of great music inspired by roots from western France, in my opinion stay away.

There were much much more but I think it is enough from me. Oh yes sine we are on diy audio just to add one concert and that is Nick Cave at Lausanne theater. It was a good one but I was soo put down by the guy at the mixing table how crancked the bass all the way up in this nice acoustic environment that was wery hard to be concentrated on the music that was very very good.

Pred

PS
Yes all places are in Switzerland

SY said:
A sphygmomanometer, no doubt.

maybe it's just a "mamo-meter".

Well, the best concert I ever went to was the Beach Boys at Jones Beach.

I was at a Cleveland Orchestra concert in the 1960's where George Szell stopped the entire affair since so many people were coughing.

In college, the "Concert Bureau" was the most profitable student-run regime -- the guys who ran it all had MG's (and this was in the 1960's) Every major rock group came through the place, and the acoustics in the gym were incredible --

This was a small gig, about 1300 people in the audience (sold out).
Sound was nothing to rave about for a spoiled audiophile, but it didn't spoil the fun. No chest-pounding bass though :(
Picture of the stage:
Image1.jpg

Talking about chest-pounding bass: i remember a Prince-concert once, held in a large skating-stadium, where bass was not chest-pounding, but gut-wrenching.
The kind that also moves your spine, not just your chest.
Performance was great, this guy really knows how to please a crowd.It was in the early nineties, he played a lot of 'sign 'o' the times ' songs, which is my favourite prince-album.

With kind regards,

Klaas

I'd love to catch PJ in concert. I've been a fan ever since 4-Track Demos / Rid of Me.

Other concerts in recent years:

Sleater-Kinney (about 6 times total)
The Thermals (w/ Sleater-Kinney)
Shannon Wright (w/ Sleater-Kinney)
Mary Timony (w/ Sleater-Kinney)
Cat Power (w/ Sleater-Kinney)
They Might Be Giants
Lyle Lovett (about 5 times since the early '90s)
The Joe Jackson Band (on the Volume 4 reunion tour)
Shane MacGowan & the Popes
Madeleine Peyroux
and, of course, lots and lots of classical (symphonic or chamber music)

Going back further in history:

Greatful Dead
Bob Dylan
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Heart
The Eurythmics
Soundgarden
The Moody Blues
The Crazy 8's
Pete Seeger & Arlo Guthrie
PDQ Bach
etc..

I'm sure I'm forgetting some...that's what two kids under 5 will do to you - worse than marijuana when it comes to short-term memory loss!

There was a tour group put together called "A trip down Abbey Road"... about 2003

Mark Farnham from Grand Funk.

Alan Parsons

Jack Bruce

Christopher Cross

Todd Rundgren

et al (I forgot)

They also had 2 keyboard and percussion pro's that were white hot.

Each did some of their own favorites. Lots of other stuff as well. They finished up with the backside of Abbey road... seemless.

A very small round venue with a rotating stage. Not the "biggest" concert by any means but certainly one that I won't forget. The performance of Abbey side 2 was just awesome... might of had something to do with Parsons being there?

:)

Captain Beefheart at the Commodore Ballroom.

Einsturzende Neubaten at Expo 86
I got there too late to get a seat, but halfway into the first song there were PLENTY of seats available. And not because people were dancing.

Test Department at Expo 86

David Lindley at the PNE Aquastage.
Particularly memorable because of the guy who slipped past security, climbed up one of the high-dive towers next to the stage (hence, Aquastage), jumped, survived, scrambled out of the tank and escaped the clutches of the security critters again.

Psychick Warriours of Gaia
memorable for being the most expensive concert ever, as I'd loaned money to the promoter to help him with what was supposed to be a festival but which deteriorated into one Sunday night in a nightclub. Still, they did autograph a CD for me.

That Subhumans concert where Wimpy was singing with a toilet seat around his neck

Bands with two drummers:
Los Microwaves (various halls)
The Braineaters (Smilin' Buddah"

Orbital live at the Langley Drive-in

Young Marble Giants at the Western Front

Husker Du at the Victoria OAP Hall

Wendy O Williams and the Plasmatics

that unidentified band (might have been called Madstone?) that played at Burning Man 1995 off a trailer with a mix of middle-east and techno sort of sound.

Couple of bands I saw early in their careers:
54:40 at the Smilin' Buddah Cabaret
Grapes of Wrath at that dockworkers bar in East Van.

MOEV at a bar I'd never been to before that appeared to be the home turf of goth girls who liked girls.

Skinny Puppy at the Emily Carr College auditorium

And the first real rock show I saw:
Prism and Stonebolt at the Victoria Memorial Arena

Concert I most regret not going to: Slow at Expo 86
Certain uh antics resulted in the cancellation remainder of that concert series featuring local bands.

I'm very jealous about Husker Dû as well. However, I was fortunate enough to see Bob Mould in London in '98 (and I can {sort of} do the umlaut ;) ).

Probably one of my best weekends was the Reading festival in '95. Headlining was my all time fave Smashing Pumpkins, as well as Paul Weller, Neil Young, Foo Fighters (they'd just released their first single at the time, so they were very interesting), Beck etc.
I was also introduced properly to Green Day that weekend. I was familiar (but not bothered) with their stuff before hand, but became converted after seeing them live. They really knew how to entertain the crowd, and did this peculiar rendition of eye of the tiger.

Other than that festival, I saw Radiohead in a tiny venue in Bristol in '93 when they were just starting out. That was really cool.

Another top evening (well three actually, I saw them a few time as they were so good) was the Ozric Tentacles. Very bizarre, but incredible to watch. Really good.
Seen Orbital a few times, they were also quite cool.
I saw the levellers once, and they were ace!

There were a few gigs I am ashamed to miss. I've missed the chance to see Grant Lee Buffalo - and I will never forgive myself for that, Tori Amos, Sonic Youth (supported by Pavement! D'oh!), James and Senser. And I've never seen REM, and probably won't now (kids don't just ruin your memory, they'll ruin your social life). However, I'm quite pleased with the bands I have seen.

However, I've made my wife promise I can go out this Peel night and see some bands ;) so all is not lost.

I've seen loads of other bands, but I can't remember to hand.

Concerts...

Latest one was Van Halen in Portland OR. last year with the return of Sammy....I learned of the exquisite(sp?) skill of Eddies' guitar....the acoustics of Oregons premier venue, the 'Rose Garden' was terrible....the reflections of sound bouncing around hurt the finely tuned ears.
By far the best was Grateful Dead at the racetrack in Portland in the late seventies with the aformentioned wall of sound....these massive arrays would have a mic on each drum driving its' own driver and as a drum 'set' played you could follow the sound of each drum beat as it moved across each giant array, side to side & up and down.....extremely impressive.
__________________________________Rick..........

my last one I saw "Steve lukhater Mean Fiddler london,nice venue few hundred people capacity with the balcony.And must say the performance and sound quality was superb I saw few other artists in that place and it was always very good despite beverage prices but hey!what wouldn't we do for a good gig
regards:

Woodstock

Just kiddin'.

Been to plenty of Black Sabbath concerts though. Circa '70-'78.
Also Joe Cocker in Mannheim Germany in '72.
Drank beer with Ian Anderson and band members of Jethro Tull in Insbruuk Austria in '72 as well. They were playing Thick as a Brick, Aqualung, Locomotive Breath etc... in the streets as they passed the hats for brewskis. Ian could balance on one leg and play that flute no matter how sh!t_faced he got. We had a lot of brews that night. Pretty cool memory for me.

You saw Steve Morse and Eric Johnson at the end of the '80s ???
These two of my favorite guitar players. Add Jeff Beck and you've got a trifecta!

Would have love to have seen Robin Trower!
Sounds like we have similar tastes in music.

Are you a Dixie Dreg's fan like me???

All of mine are a loooong time ago. Stones in Hyde Park July 1969, Family were there as well and were miles better, incredible band that everyone has forgotten about, fantastic sound up in the hi-fi league. On the SAME day I saw The Who in the Royal Albert Hall, fantastic, unbelievably fantastic but echoey sound, the flying saucers had just been installed but weren't good enough for LOUD music. This was just before they went over to Woodstock. Saw The Who again at the University of Kent at Canterbury 1970 around the time 'Live at Leeds' was recorded, again fantastic, chaotic, dynamic and so together at the same time, really stretching what live rock was all about IMHO.

Led Zeppelin at Canterbury 1970 or 71, not as good as The Who but still so very good and just everyone seemed to like them at that time. Strawbs were good in 72 I think again in Canterbury.

I saw quite a few bands in the 70's but blowed if I can remember most of them, they weren't that memorable then.

AC/DC and The Who in '79 at Wembley, sound was awful but great atmosphere, both bands were obviously good but it was just the wrong place, Stranglers were there but were really boring, Neils Lofgren was OK but kept bouncing on a trampoline for some reason.

I feel like I've been to lots more concerts, but it's just the live albums and a good hi-fi system at work!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.