Let me lite fire - Nelson Pass F1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Fig.8 Listening Position Bass with High Pass Filters, The J-Low . . .

Tells me that the bottom frequency I get apparently is to be considered as about 60Hz when I have the single pole high pass filter at 100Hz. Am I right?

If I am greedy and want the bottom frequency down to 50Hz or further down, should I invest my effort to replace the high pass filter with an EQ (R//C//L) giving me a dip at around 70Hz . . . ?

Spent four-hour flying time,
thinking about this . . .

Regards
jH

Disabled Account
Joined 2002

What I should do . . .

Since the environment doesn’t allow me for room tuning, I should focus myself on stuffing and, if necessary, installing high pass filters or others . . .

In case I need high pass filters,
I sketched a method of high pass filters during last weekend . . .
It’s integrated into BOSOZ . . .

Would like to show it here . . . expecting any question or opinion about any improvement. . .

Regards
jH

O . . .
I exercised some math too, as shown on the next post . . .
The red curve on the chart is a gain curve along the frequencies at maximum output volume . . . Meanwhile, the purple curve is at minimum output volume . . .

Attachments

• bosoz-high-pass-filters.jpg
    bosoz-high-pass-filters.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 619
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nelson,
I was thinking about how to make the J-lows with more SAF, and thought that they might look like cabinets/armoires if they each had a pair of panel doors full height on the front that would be swung open for listening.

THEN: I realized that the doors could have stops to allow them to open out to an appropriate angle to extend the horn mouth. They would double the horn opening size albeit only over the length of the doors (one foot I guess.) Would this lower the bass response perceptably?

In the simple version I visualized, there would be no panels at the top and bottom of the open doors to create a complete horn, but they could be worked into the design if it would help a lot....

Disabled Account
Joined 2002

. . .
Last two years I have never received the things
I had ordered without minimum one week delaying . . .
No exception also for this J-Low box . .
m . . . m . . . m . . .

Waiting for the box . . . I do guesswork . . .

If the bass quality is good at and above 60Hz
and the dynamics is also qualitative . . .
it's promising for me . . .

I think, below 60Hz, my room size will most probably
help to get reasonable quantity of it . . .

Anyhow, the doors . . .
Ah . . . very interesting . . .

I look forward to Nelson's view too . . .

Regards
jH

You will need to make sure that the doors are very firmly fastened when they are open. If they rattle, it will destroy any pleasure you might get in listening.
Assuming that I am visualizing what you are describing correctly, you will also need upper and lower flaps as well.

Grey

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Firm can be done. They can look like cabinet doors, but be thick and have non rattly hinges, and adjustable braces totop and bottom to hold them open...Nelson's huge horns aren't really very thick ply at the final flare and he seems to like them that way...

What you call flaps, I called top and bottom panels.
So you are saying without top and bottom flaps/panels, they won't really work........?

If they are solid, and have top and bottom panels, will they add valuable lower range? Or are they too short? I have some hope for the idea because the final flare is usually pretty open on most horn designs.

Hey Nelson,

do me a favor and screw 1' wide flares to the front of your J lows to try my idea ;)

Thanks,
MArk

Disabled Account
Joined 2002

Yeah . . . yeah . . .

Nelson loves "synecdoche" . . .
And, by actively using it, tries to brush up readers’ spoiled brains like mine . . .
Most time, I like his way . . .
Because he trusts all readers as intelligent audiences . . .

Yeah . . . yeah . . .

It’s folded-folded . . .

Hi Variac
Sh . . . . . . pls . . . my wife is a wild cat . . . sleeping . . .
I should take stealthy movements . . . ;)
Soon, I’ll see what happens, first, with no door . . .

Regards
jH

Disabled Account
Joined 2002

How to begin the stuffing inside the chamber . . . ?
How much . . . mmm . . .

"Hey, come here."
"One . . . two . . . three!"
"A~hhhhhhhhh h h h h h h . . . "
"Again . . . here we go . . . Yi . . . er . . . san!"
"A~hhhhhhhhhhhhh h h h h h h . . ."

Regards
jH

Attachments

• j-low-pic01.jpg
    j-low-pic01.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 661
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have filled in the chamber behind the driver with wool lightly.
And, I insatalled 0.1uF+24k single pole high pass filter at the input of BOSOZ. These are all I have done.

O my . . . the sound kills me softly.
Smooth. Sweet. Warm. Nice dynamics.

I know the sound of tube+Altec A7 and tube+Lowther horn. The sound from the BOSOZ&F1&J-Low combi is different from them. It is really wonderful! I wonder why Nelson has given up his ownership of J-Low . . .

Will write more . . .

Regards
jH

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, jacco
Thanks for encouraging me. I’m thinking to print the name on a gold plate. I hope I could manage the plan materialized.

Hi, Variac
The lovely girl is the same one who I mentioned about at post#1.

Sound wonderful . . . really . . . killing me softly . . . particularly at the first watt.
I feel CD sounds like LP sounds that I have missed long years. I want to bring all CDs collecting dust at home. I want to make them shine.

Low pressure bass coming out thru the four mouths has enuf volume, and well matches with my rather small room size. The original plan I had was to convert my F1 to the original Pass F1. I will, however, reserve the plan until I meet another good motivation for me to do it.

Regards
jH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.