Les Sage amp circuit here for analysis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...This tends to produce a kind of HF signal induced class A operation (we would call it shoot thru in the power supply industry!) and although the HF distortion performance was very poor, the amp sounded very good.

Interesting ! - this sounds like the explanation for how the Steven Dunlap KRILL amplifier (also on this forum) works and it uses BJTs in the output stage.

I started this thread in 2005 and it's great to see more info coming out of the woodwork.
The 'new revelations' thread was interesting but it amuses me that there are people who so keen believe the myth of Les Sage's sliding-bias non-switching topology.
I think that enough circuits have been posted to convince people that they were just very good & compact class AB designs.
There is no magical combination of mistakes we could have made when transcribing the circuits that could have removed evidence of the non-switching function and yet still left a workable amp design!
I hope some more of his amps will be de-potted in the future.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the PM!

Will we finally get to the bottom of the mystery? Maybe not, but suffice it to say that Les was a nice guy who made some designs which quite a few people thought performed well, and he made a business out of it too, which is more than I ever managed.

I agree, based on other non switching designs there is nothing in any circuit which suggests this was ever implemented. Only in Les's literature and possibly notes and or dreams.

It is a great shame Les is no longer around to join this debate, that's assuming he would want to join!

My thanks to you for starting this thread and to the other contributors, especially ZeroD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.