Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cheap volume pot replacement?

I have the version 3 2020+. Love the amp until the right channel started going full volume at lower settings...wiggling the volume knob sometimes fixes it - for a while. From reading on this thread it looks like the volume pot is a likely target here...

I'm handy enough to desolder and solder a new one in but not so great at reading the diagrams....

Could someone possibly pls recommend a specific model number or reference number to look for so that i order the correct type of volume pot?

Looking on Ali Express but realize there are different knob stem sizes and pinout configs for these....

Could someone possibly pls recommend a specific model number or reference number to look for so that i order the correct type of volume pot?

The value of the volume pot is 20K ohms. If you decided to use the stock plastic volume knob, you should get one with a 20mm long stem. Do keep in mind the height of the pot is far more crucial. The clearance between the stem and the base should be exactly 9mm. No more, no less.

Take the thing with you to an Electronics shop, where they will sell you an appropriate part and likely give the small instruction you need to substitute the thing.
Part should ~1 or 2$. It's not a precision part :)
Don't go too nuts though, these Lepais have long History of just 'dying' unfixably.

Hi,

I have build a small multi room audio system with a Linux box and five lepai amp for smaller rooms (restroom, kitchen,..).
To turn on a zone I only power up the amp with a relay on the power cord. This works great with two version 2 amps.
But the other three version 3 amps produce a loud turn-off pop… How to eliminate this? How does the speaker protection work?
For me it seems that the relays does not disconnect fast enough. Or do i have to fix / measure the dc offset on pin 10 & 13?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

But the other three version 3 amps produce a loud turn-off pop…

This symptom is common for earlier versions of Lepai amp until Rev. C dated 20130828PCD. The latest batch of Lepai amps have "minimized" the switch on/off pop. Please note the pop sound is still audible but much softer.

There is a way to eliminate the pop sound but I couldn't be bothered with it. By the way, it is harmless to the loudspeakers.

Last edited:
I don't think you are likely to find a replacement unless you cannibalize another unit. I would see if I could get at it with a small file and/or exacto knife.

Thanks, and that's what I was afraid of hearing, for now I just don't have the knob pushed in all the way but it's still not hard to get caught up. The knob isn't simply catching on a burr or piece of flashing from the molding, it kind of looks like the entire bottom was melted and pushed inwards.... Also I probably could remove this section and replace it with a flexible piece of lexan just for structural integrity.

However...
If anyone has a broken Lepai amp I would be more than willing to pay for shipping plus paypal fees and whatever for the plastic led piece. It's very simple to remove and you don't even need to take the amp apart to remove it.

The knob isn't simply catching on a burr or piece of flashing from the molding, it kind of looks like the entire bottom was melted and pushed inwards.... Also I probably could remove this section and replace it with a flexible piece of lexan just for structural integrity.

What you can do is to find a plastic bottle cap with the same diameter as the original piece. Drill two small holes for the LEDs and a larger hole in the center for the volume pot stem. This will solve part of your problem.

If this proves too troublesome, just change the volume knob to one with a smaller diameter such as THIS.

Last edited:
ummm, not a structural piece, just a bit of "Style fluff"...

Also I probably could remove this section and replace it with a flexible piece of lexan just for structural integrity.

Relax. Take out the clear piece and put the nut back onto the nude pot and enjoy.

You will suffer no ill effects. The clear piece does not keep "Evil Insects" out of the box, nor add any structural integrity to the "Mighty Matchbox". It is just a cheap ornament. If it interferes with the knob, just chuck it :)

Happy Ears!

Al

PS A little vent is a Good Thing. The LP-2020A+ package hugs heat, as if it were not the most potent destroyer of components in the box... anyone who thinks heating the box improves the sound is delusional. Intel flatly states that every 10F lowered in the environment DOUBLES the life of an IC. Engineering is real. So are marketing trinkets. Who you gonna Trust?

I like the bottle idea may give to a go if I get some extra time... and I know all about heat and how it relates to ICs. .. avid bitcoin miner (tons of heat and potential to kill graphic cards) and electrical engineering student. But really I just want the piece on there for cosmestic purposes for the leds because I kind of like the look it has, especially about night.

Can somebody please tell me exactly what capacitors I need to order to mode this amp and from what store.

Depending on which version you will get. The latest version is Rev C a.k.a. 20130828PCB, the electrolytic capacitors list is as follow:

2200uF 16V x 1 (power supply reservoir cap)
220uF 16V x 1
470uF 16V x 1
2.2uF 50V x 2
1uF 50V x 2
470uF 16V x 2
100uF 16V x 2

For the older version (Rev A and B), the list is as follow:

3300uF 16V x 1 (power supply reservoir cap)
220uF 16V x 2
470uF 16V x 1
2.2uF 50V x 2
1uF 50V x 2
470uF 16V x 1
100uF 16V x 2

Take the amp apart to look at the main PCB for version reference.

As for shops, you can try RS, Mouser or Element14. If they don't accept PayPal, I can obtain the parts for you.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.