Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The tingling you are feeling when you touch the case indicates that the case is at an elevated voltage compared to you. You day that the problem only happens on one of your amps -- are they plugged into the same outlet? What happens if you swap power supplies? Does the tingling move to the other amp? Try it and see.

are they plugged into the same outlet?

Thanks for your reply.

No. This particular amp is use in the computer room, separate from the rest.

What happens if you swap power supplies?

I did try with another 12V 5A power supply. The tingling seems to have gone but difficult to tell now. Will monitor the situation a while longer.

Last edited:
No ac volts ? It's possible on higher voltage systems to store a high voltage low capacitance charge that quickly discharges through 100 - 500k average ohms the body has. A floating, (isolated) amp could store some charge. You can ground the case of the amp to the case of the computer, but you say the new power supply doesn't leak. I forgot.

I have never liked the sound of a single supply audio amp. I'm wondering if this one has that car stereo or department store stereo sound ? The class D may have a different effect and actually sound good on one dc voltage.

Last edited:
No ac volts ?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, or should I say there isn't a stable AC voltage reading. It fluctuates in the millivolts region.

By the way, I am not experiencing the tingling anymore. The new power supply I am using did solve the problem but I am curious to know why because another friend of mine is having similar problem. He is not so lucky. His tingling sensation feels more like a biting shock.

Last edited:
The meter is probably enough to load the stored charge, but it is still strong enough to give a slight shock. That is why we have an electrical specifiction in the USA that the cabinet of all industrial machines must be commonly connected to earth ground, in case a short circuit or leakage would make one at line voltage.

Firstly, great thread I made my way through a good deal of it and there some great comments and advice,

Anyhow First post so hi all!

I'm looking at getting two lepai 2020+ amps, one for my workshop and one for my pc. Three questions:

1) I have a master on/off power switch for the whole workshop, will it cause any problems to cut(and restore) the mains power to the amp regularly without turning off the on/off rocker switch?

2) I want to hook it up to an FM tuner, I read that some people have issues with interference - any quick fixes for this apart from the usual ferrite clips.

3) The seller I have found on ebay is selling october 2013 batch, badged Lvpin - these OK? or should i get an older Lepai?

Thanks!

1) I have a master on/off power switch for the whole workshop, will it cause any problems to cut(and restore) the mains power to the amp regularly without turning off the on/off rocker switch?

No, it won't cause any problem.

2) I want to hook it up to an FM tuner, I read that some people have issues with interference - any quick fixes for this apart from the usual ferrite clips.

Don't worry about FM interference. I have not encounter it yet.

3) The seller I have found on ebay is selling october 2013 batch, badged Lvpin - these OK? or should i get an older Lepai?

Get the latest version ALWAYS. Every batch has slight improvement over the previous.

homebrew audio - Geezer sermonette...

Ear Persons Of Earth!

(and anyhere ((hear?!)) else you may be reading this bit of harmless fluff...)

The TA-2020-020 is an integrated circuit chip. They are pretty much binary, in that the "whole chip works", or, it is "defective..." Modern life likes ones and zeroes. I am less impressed. I started in the Wonderful World of Binary when I was a freshman at the University of Mininoplace, Minnehoosta, majoring in Philosophistrees, Girls and Brews of Science & Religion Confusimacation Semanticity - or Anything (that pays better than the $0.65/hour (minimum wage) I was getting washing dishes in Maltzen's Café, on Broadway ("They say the Neon lights are bright..."), in Downtown Robbinsdale, MINN 22. 22 was the Postal Zone, grandfather of the mighty nine digit Zip Code... and MINN was the excessively textural abbreviation of Minnesota. Sigh.)

If you are a Freakin' Geek, like moi, no two chips sound the same... but they are all pretty much doing better than anything else in the system they are used in ;)

FurthermoreMoreMORE, the two channels (on each chip) are never exactly the same, nor do they never change, but, again, they are much closer to each other than it matters to many of us ;) Even me, The Pure and Great Guru Master Ultimate Humility, Commander of Time and Being -and still alive after more than 66 2/3 years on this self important bit of dust we like to think of as The Center of The Universe... (FYI, that is twice as old as 33 1/3, an archaic speed for Long Play vinyl recordings... Google "LP" and become an even wiser fool...)

Enjoy your new amps :)

Remotely powering them is just fine. The wall wart is Always On, and turning it on and off keeps the system alert, until it fails, or something...

The On/Off rocker switch, the push buttons and the whirly twirly knobs work, sort of, but are not the coolest part in the LePay 2020A+ audio system: you are. Enjoy!

Happy Ears!

Al Marcy

PS Remember: you cannot make your system better without improving yourself, too. Perfection is in this direction. We never get there, but, it is such a Interesting Path... for some of us, or so it seems ;)

I've read that somebody on the forum asked about using the TA-2020 as a subwoofer amp, and I must say that I have... I have a stock Lepai TA-2020+ and an active car subwoofer crossover (both powered by a 12V DC 10A power supply) powering a Dayton Audio SD215A-88 dual voice coil subwoofer (each coil powered by a channel) in a custom ported enclosure tuned to 38Hz, and to me it sounds pretty good... And for the mids and highs I have another stock Lepai TA-2020+ powering a set of Dayton Audio B625 bookshelf speakers (also powered by the 12V 10A power supply)... It's no ground shaker, but a whole lot better than most small multimedia 2.1 systems available... Now I'm thinking about modifying my Lepai's for even better sound... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.