Legis' Horny Tales

Nice Rush track make me add to last post its as digital is played via a amp that is biased hotter pushed more to class-A than analog is, or as in old days when one could bias the tone head on some 1/4" tape or cassette tape recorders, sense it gives hotter sound with more bite to sound stream and improve notes and instruments is better divided so overall stands clearer where lighter bias settings typical gives more airy sound. Still sense dynymics a bit greater on digital but a quick dirty visual look at MS mixer show they looks nearly same except rising speed on digital bursts seems bit faster rising. Analog or digital overall sense from clips its very pure nice sound.

If you find CD player to sound better than foobar think experimenting with buffer settings into foobars preferences then change in sound is nearly same as tweaking the bias settings mentioned above, if feeding stream via Windows sound system driver think there is only one buffer setting inside foobar ("Playback"/"Output"), but via WASAPI there is a couple more settings added under "Advanced" and if via ASIO there is also the ASIO control panel buffer settings.

This video was recorded couple of days ago with the new Sony A7 + Rode Stereo Videomic Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc7sX2YLNG0

I was testing different stuff on that video, changed the gain setting of the mic and detached the external mic's cord to see if the internal mic would take over on the fly (but it did not). :)

Even though this combo sounded vastly better than my cellphones camera and mic, I decided to return the Rode mic and ordered a Zoom H6 PCM recorder, which is much more versatile and better sounding than Rode with the camera. But I have to say the vocals did sound nice with Rode, but it hissed somewhat and the high frequencies were splashy and had compression artefacts since the camera cannot record lossless PCM stream, only 256kbps. With PCM recorder that thing is solved. In short, I was not fully satisfied with this combo.

I will receive the H6 maybe on next week. I'm looking forward to it, it's supposed to be quite good sounding, silent, clean and with good onboard interchangeable mics. The thing can also be used a sound interface with a computer, I will try if the Zoom better than my Esi Maya22 USB.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:

Thanks wesayso, you found it. The problem with my Rode was the compression artifacts and low quality (on audiophile standards) mic input in the camera. If it were put on a pcm recorder's good mic input and recorded in lossless format, it would have also sounded nicer (but maybe not as nice as that Rode ;)). NT4 sounds very nice on Kenrick's videos. If I were to buy a separate mic that would be the first one's to consider, the reference to what others are compared against.

Hey Legis.

Slightly OT but would you mind sharing some details or links on how you calculated your room modes and built your round corner traps.

Cheers mate
Dean

Hi, I did not tune the traps for certain narrow (high Q) frequency range but as a wider (low Q) resonators that effectively cover approx. one octave up and down from the tuning frequency. This is achieved by filling the air cavity completely with (rock etc.) wool not too tightly. I have 6pcs of pipe resonators tuned to ~40Hz and other 6 resonator tuned 2 octaves higher (~160hz). This way they have some absorption from 20Hz to 360Hz, the whole modal range. I used PVC pipes as "extensions" in the lower tuned resonators to achieve such low tuning freq with a decent total hole/port area.

Their effective size (800-950 litres total) and the area covered by the resonance holes/ports is too small for them to make this really bad room very good, but they definitely help.

I used this Helmholtz panel resonator calculator, applied to pipe construction (litres are what matter): mh-audio.nl - Acoustic

Quick comparison of Sony A7 integrated mic and Zoom H6 with included MS-mic (not XY). Zoom was right next to the camera, I set both to record almost at the same time. Zoom's audio is just attached to the video, not synched nor adjusted in level (I need to think some better tool than Windows Movie Maker).

Sonys sound more live and fuller, but quality is inferior. With different music the differences are dfferent/more pronounced. I tried uploading Madonna (Again and Again) but Youtube told me the video was blocked globally. :D No uploading Madonna then...

Sony A7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVvwEk5SALk

Zoom H6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbhnJHvQH5s

I will also need to try to attach Zoom to A7 with 3,5mm --> 3,5mm plug. Sony compresses the audio when done this way but I have to see how detrimental it is compared to Zoom's uncompressed audio.

Last edited:
Thanks upload, sense very big difference those recordings.

A7 think sound more as expected, a lower grade than H6 but a coherent sound stream domain that include the room sound that microphone can't filter out as human brain does.

H6 have more clear recognition of speech and note, but think HF area especially cymbals sounds as is in another domain than mids and the weak bass. HF area for both H6 recordings think sound bit unpleasant as if digital alias is passed through, but not shure if that is right or it just is the high weight of HF power compared mid and the weak bass. Room is not easy to hear and think this little weird even we listen Synergy horns.

Remember xrk971 told on his older Zoom recorder he can pick different simulating microphone profiles, and wonder if H6 is set on a profile that is not linear wideband but a one with raising HF area and a high in frq low cut first or second order filter, xrk971's Zoom have SM81 emulation, that one should be a fair linear wideband profile.

Last edited:
I tried Audiophile Linux and I'm quite liking it's sound quality. I'ts a light Linux enviroment mainly made to play music files. CPU usage is around 3% constantly and almost all of the RAM is free, so it very light with only the necessary background processes to make the job done.

I made some videos with different kind of music. Do you hear some/any difference between Windows 10/foobar2000/wasapi/ram buffering vs. AP-Linux with ALSA (similar to wasapi) and Deadbeef music player?

Sony A7's own mic was used to record as I did not have motivation to play around with Zoom's mic with so many videos. The mic was slightly more closer to the back wall and 30cm/1ft above listener's head.

Audiophile Linux:
Ayreon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwnkNY-2aY0}
Dire Straits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Xqy6le1Rc
George Duke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwk0gaUcvOk
Septicflesh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvp7VPrHF9k

Windows 10:
Ayreon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUhsYsWvx_U
Dire Straits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnpWnu-j10
George Duke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9MPUD5aPsQ
Septicflesh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br-KJ-G5jxc

After Cattylink scammed me for over 13k€, I finally got the amplifier (not from Cattylink but from local dealer!) I have wanted for some time, Line Magnetic LM219IA. It sounds SO good...

I already made a soft start switch to the side, which protects the tubes during start up if you wonder what switch is that.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Low light conditions exaggerate the tube glow...

After two successful transaction with Cattylink in the past of smaller amounts (1500USD and 3000USD), the third time they decided to commit a fraud against me big time. The received items were totally different and much, much lower value than ordered items (Amari LP-62, LM219IA, LM129B, LM129 + 18A MM/MC RIAA). They even send me 3 heavy slabs of granite so the weight of the package would look believeable. Cattylink went mute right after my reclamation, they do not answer any of my emails. I have made police report to Hong Kong police about them, have to see how it goes.

So CATTYLINK cannot be trusted, they (he?) are opporturnists. I'm very disappointed also for out-monetary reasons because their email customer service is very good and they would still be my go-to china/HK seller if this would not have happened.

If you have been scammed by cattylink, please send me a private message with some information. I plan to do a list of Cattylink victims, which will be sent to chinese/HK officials.

Last edited:
System nowadays.

I realized I might have not made a single frequency sweep after the first week of 2016. This is really disturbing :D. At least I have something to brag about in the weekly Anonymous Sweepers' control meeting ;).

"Charge Coupled" crossover bias supplies and 400VA isolation transformers for pre amp/riaa in same housing(s). XO's are the lower boxes. Bias voltage for XO is around 75 volts. Bias supply has CLC-filtering for "just to be sure", it is also fully detacheable from the xo circuit with a switch on the back. Bias voltage stays there for a very long time even without the supply circuit keeping it at fixed ~75V.

Last edited:
DIY'ed 4pcs of Entreq style grounding boxes and (bought) a new pre amplifier, which I also happened to mod a little ;) (mainly more&better filtering caps for the filaments, better cathode resistor bypass caps, RC snubbers for the regulators, Kiwame cathode resistors etc.). Full Music 101Dn "mesh plate" tubes are fantastic sounding light bulbs (appearing only in the last pic, low light conditions exaggerate the glow).

DSC00559.JPG

DSC00561.JPG

DSC00597.JPG

DSC00581.JPG

DSC00583.JPG

Before:
DSC00586.JPG

After:
DSC00630.JPG

DSC00635.JPG

DSC00636.JPG

Full%2BMusic.JPG

Last edited:
Long time no see!

I tweaked the Synergy horn's injection ports into a smooth "horn shape" rather than just rounded edges. The basic idea was to try to make the acoustical impedance transition point as smooth as possible. Also painted the throat slightly more rough.

Result: 2,7khz diffraction peak reduced slightly (the peak can be measured at the mouth 0deg like in these measurements, but not far field, but I can hear it) and allround slightly smoother response.

Very satisfying, it has been very long time since I have touched the speakers at all.

The new throat is the top one:
M8zuzLSZ0a--0uPoV3ujJvt1fgwHyXP_H6Tw9hY9cmmYRUOgZY3Pk1qp2yYHcJ6XoVvag2MLkiwGog=w7680-h4320-no

Black is the new throat:
XvBH0hLi3MgH-G_gQBIXwNBCE2DjzWHQpp80gVw5R7RhGJTmFztopCztNB5bGhdPoRiyPKQf6sVE3A=w7680-h4320-no