• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato Tweakers Thread...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A question if I may please. On the main TP site there is a seperate wiring diagram for the dual mono IVY III application. I am currently wiring up a dual mono Legato, but cannot find a specific way of wiring it. As something of a beginer here I do not want to make a mistake when wiring. Do I just use the seperate L & R sections from each legato to the relevant Bal & S/e side, or do I need to run from each as the ivy does?
Any help / information / diagrams here would be much appreciated.
Cheers guys.
Steve.

I have studied the output wiring diagram for the dual mono IvyIII and applied it to the dual Legato, but have become somewhat stumped on where to put the ground from pin 1 on the xlr from each side.
While the Ivy has a different board layout - I am uncertain as to which ground point to send these to on the Legato. Any ideas guys please?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have noticed the same difference between the IVYIII and Legato boards i.e. there is no central header at the "output-end" of the Legato board. I guess you can connect to any of the Bal or SE ground points. They are all connected to the same ground plane anyway....

Nic,
Thanks for the reply. I had sort of assumed that it would be ok to do that, but I am trying to keep ground planes seperate in the final build - so if they are all the same point it *should* work perfectly. At my stage of learning this I just dont like making assumptions that could just as easily be incorrect.
I do wonder why the specified ground plane uses the input headers on the IvyIII diagram as opposed to the ground on the outputs used - hence my confusion.

Thanks again for the reply - it's appreciated.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm sure that Russ/Brian picked this point for the dual-mono ground as it is central and happened to be there on the IVYIII (I think the header is for connecting to the Opus or COD dacs). On Legato this header is not there so we will just have to pick another ground point....
I'm using a set of Ventus for I/V conversion and wondering if to take the ground to XLR connection from the Legato or one of the Ventus...
Probably makes no difference at all so it is all about making a unqualified decision...

I'm not sure if it's placebo effect but when I connect both outputs (balanced to my preamp & single ended to my headphone amp) the Legato seems to sound better, there is an explication?

It may not be your imagination, as mine behaves that way too. With my system, if I connect balanced only to my headphone amp, the system has no signal 0v to ground connection, ie it is floating. When I connect the SE output to my amp, the amp has a signal ground to earth connection. I have concluded that one needs to connect the signal 0v to the supply ground somewhere in the system.

I will likely a toggle switch to the Buffalo with a signal ground to supply ground (via say a 20ohm resistor), to allow me use either option when connecting up, since a permanent connection would mean a possible earth loop when connected to my amp otherwise.

Regards

There should always be a power ground connection but ideally only one low resistance path between each piece of gear, unless full galvanic isolation transformers are used for every interconnection.

I am starring from the Placid Bipolar to each board and to the chassis with heavy gauge short connections. All balanced audio and digital pin 1 connections are taken directly to the chassis. For least noise and potential problems these ground connections should not be brought all the way to the audio boards. The unbalanced outputs are returned to the individual Ventus boards to keep the loop as small as possible. Everything sounds great and is completely silent.

It may not be your imagination, as mine behaves that way too. With my system, if I connect balanced only to my headphone amp, the system has no signal 0v to ground connection, ie it is floating. When I connect the SE output to my amp, the amp has a signal ground to earth connection. I have concluded that one needs to connect the signal 0v to the supply ground somewhere in the system.

I will likely a toggle switch to the Buffalo with a signal ground to supply ground (via say a 20ohm resistor), to allow me use either option when connecting up, since a permanent connection would mean a possible earth loop when connected to my amp otherwise.

Regards
A balanced conection (XLR) has 4 conductors. Signal +, the inverted -, a third wire for ground and the fourth is the outter shield, ground too.
What did you do with those two grounds?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
In my experience it is best to keep chassis and signal grounds separate if possible. Chassis connected to safety ground from the power plug.
The XLR shield connected to chassis and the ground wire to the floating signal ground. In this way safety ground works like a shield around the entire circuit and interconnects - without having the signal ground galvanically connected to hair-driers, washing machines, microwave ovens etc.

In my experience it is best to keep chassis and signal grounds separate if possible. Chassis connected to safety ground from the power plug.
The XLR shield connected to chassis and the ground wire to the floating signal ground. In this way safety ground works like a shield around the entire circuit and interconnects - without having the signal ground galvanically connected to hair-driers, washing machines, microwave ovens etc.

We agree on that :)

What I conclude from his post is that he is not using any ground at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.