Leach Super Amp Pcb Re-Design (LSAPRD)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Except for those pesky language translators on line. But very clever even so.

Terry asked,
"Forgive me if this is a stupid question. If you are going to do separate boards, what is the advantage of redoing the signal board?
Is there something wrong with the one that Dr. Leach designed?"

Still, not one accurate statement has been made about anything that is wrong with the original boards. Except of course that it does not accomodate the plastic transistors of your choice.

BTW, the debate is not about TO3 cans in favor of TO-247 types.

From
jacco vermeulen,
"> With solderpads for attaching powerlines from active
regulator boards to the Leach front end pcb or just regular
powerlines.
> An output board for 6(?) TO247's.
> An output board for the 2(?) double barrels.
> All three boards with jumper connections for
signal in/out/power/ground/feedback.

So far i have not read a posting disagreeing with some of the Extended Leach's features, other than the possibility of a smaller pcb and smaller R's.
Me, i find the Extended Leach board Top of the Pops.
Just that one with connections for output boards that take either TO3's or TO247's would make me a very satisfied kid. "

And others can agree this is a good idea. A universal board that allows the builder to make his/her own choices about the wisdom of TO3 or TO247 and other requirements to build this classic amp.

Prosit

I started this thread to redesign the great super leach amplifier PCB layout, and possibly make some improvements to get rid of e.g. the wires needed on the original version for transistor mounting. I saw this as a fun project. Things have changed due to the constant and annoying comments from acenovelty. This is where this project stops for me, I’m sure acenovelty will volunteer to make the artwork for the project, and allow us all to use it freely.

I sincerely thank everybody that have contributed positively to this thread, and hope that you get the amplifier of your dreams build.

It seems an impossible task to make everybody agree on a layout plan, therefore I think I will continue with the layout myself, and make it the way I think it should be, anybody interested in this are welcome to contact me when I have presented my solution.

This is not fun - over and out

\Jens

Did it ever occur to anyone that Marshall Leach may well NOT have been the one who made the layout for the Leach amplifier !

Professors have busy lives.
It would surprise me if he had the time to do the layout work himself.
Normally a teaching assistent, a student assistent, or a regular student willing to make a buck is asked to do something like that.

Professor Leach may have aproved the initial component layout.

Someone else made the pcb layout by rubbing traces from a roll of tape on a transparent, placed over the component layout.

I remember the punch cards needed for making computer calculations when i went to university.
It was not untill the mid 80s when pc's were introduced at university. Working with DOS, making a single calculation took hours. Ten years later i went to the university to hear Bill Gates speak on his world tour.

Likely, another student used pcb software to copy the handmade version, the software used must be ancient nowadays.
Why bother doing this yourself if there is a hurd of students to assign the job for grade points.

Companies nowadays spend fortunes developing the right layout for a pcb.
Often several layouts are made and tested before the final layout is chosen.
Having a professional pcb designer as Jens make a pcb layout normally costs serious cash !!

Very likely that someone built the same amplifier over and over again with the same pcb layout in the last 20 years, based on the layout of a student who's name will never be known !!!!!!

nå nå nå, mener du nu også det ?
Nou, nou, nou, meen je dat nu echt ?

Well Jens, they put the man into the cross...sometimes things not fair.

But to make you relax Jens, i was remembering that someone (undeterminated, undefined , and, on purpose hidden subject) told me that you needed your brothers, Jans, Jins and Juns to help you to climb stairs to put your portable (and really pretty and very well made, some reference related good construction) Leach Amplifier in your second floor room.

I remember that it broke the floor and fall down inside the WC, and smashed the cat that was sleeping over a soft WC carpet and broke some watter tubes under your house.

Well, they told me that....not sure if true.

Since guys told me that, i always remember you when i see some building under demolition or some giant bass shaking my appartment glasses...today my car exaust was pulverized by dust...and the deep bass sound remember me the leach amplifier too.

Yesterday i found a good fan to use over your portable unit...the picture is attached.

Next time i will show you the Scania Vabis powered generator that you can use to supply your amplifier with energy when go camping.

Relax.

It is impossible to satisfied all the guys, and you seem turning a little bit nervous.

Carlos

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 968
Take a breath man, because when you jumped to TO-220

Or even other transistor model....when you exaust all possibilities, will appear someone to ask why you did not use
TO-3.

Remember JD that always told us that is impossible to satisfied everybody, because we are all fanatics.

In some thread, Jd changed dozen times his board to satisfy many guys asking this or that..... and he did..... i am afraid, when they decided to buy boards, if they make justice with JD hard work... i do not know the result....i felt so frustrated to see him working hard and people asking change here!....change there...

Well...if is not perfect with them, our forum friends, will be worst without them, our forum fellows, as we are precious on earth....there are not too many people alike us to start some conversation.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 971
Fun

Oh boy .This is turning into soap opera.I even forgot what the whole idea was.I wanted to build both types original and modifed by jens to see how the two sound on the same speakers.I ordered some boards from the professor and am gonna build 6 channels of the low-tim , put in spidf and use surround preamp.Thats if I can get all that in a case and still lift without a forklift.I may have to use a small refrigerator as case , and use door as heatsink .I just want to say lets keep this fun.Work provides enough stress for all.And as they say keep it simple.

Good!...keeping the spirit high!

I am loving to see some stranger language words here.

I always intended to use Portuguese too.

As Jens is very respected in this forum, and he is making part of that, maybe moderators will turn more flexible related the use of our own languages here.....only sometimes..... and only small sentences, and with english version together to ensure us that those Ya Yêh...has not unconfortable meanings.

Carlos

Carlos, well said. I agree completely :)

Jens, I think we all appreciate your efforts to update the PCB, so don't be disheartened by the odd bit of criticism. I think with your abilities, and the earlier constructive comments of other members, you will achieve a great result. I think you're probably correct to close down the discussion aspect at this time, and get on with a layout. I look forward to seeing the layouts, then hopefully we can have a constructive and revitalised debate to achieve perfection. :)

Caveat Emptor

I am not a buyer, i need not be aware.

From my Christian upbringing i remember a line about being aware of people bearing gifts.
They could be Charlatans dressed as do-gooders, offering aid.

Yet contribute nothing but continuous links to the same pdf files and spend their time with viscious attacks on other people, or typing sophisticated words and latin sayings.

I feel sorry for such persons.
Life is grand if each and everyone is treated with kindness.

I already have difficulty with reading the English Carlos types, could be we would all understand his Portuguese words.
Bom dia, Carlos, are you naked again ?

hohohô...giving time to Jens take some breath...because sometimes is hard.

Sometimes we go full of good intentions...we work hard, and people did not understand completely our intentions.

This turn us a little disturbed...and this is normal...but time will fix all those problems.

Nude?....Oh!....No!....or...Yes!...

Here, in brazil, temperature is high, around 30 degrees celsius, and i am living in front of the beach, were wind is strong an gives some relief.

We do not use shoes inside our houses, to avoid dirty and scratches in our glass covered ceramics (skid also)

Also, inside our homes, we do not use Shirt, because will be wet!...too much hot....i am having 5 shower each day.

My English is an enormous mass, but it is not bigger than my courage to expose myself to the shame to write in English when i never had studied that language.

Também não sou barrigudo, eu enrolo o objeto entorno da cintura para evitar tocar o chão!

I have also not so big stomach as people thinks, i used to make some reel around the stomach, to avoid something touch the dirty floor.

I am not responsible of your imagination....not determinated object....the polution is in your head...i said nothing! hehe

Carlos

Last night I sat down and wired my driver board to my T0-3s. What a rat’s nest! Looks just terrible. It's bothering me so much that I will probably unsolder all of it and start over. I used the recommended 18ga wire. Sure takes up a lot of room. I wish I had used Ace's layout instead. His layout makes room for computer connectors. That would have made things easier i think.

I have large enough heatsinks to accommodate the boards that Jens designed for the Low TIM so they probably would have been large enough to handle the boards he is designing for this amp. Part of me wishes I would have waited. This has been a good learning experience however. I'm still looking forward to hearing it. Maybe by next weekend, if I can steal enough time this week to put together a case and the PSU.

Thanks for all the help. Really looking forward to seeing the new design.

Blessings, Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.