LC Audio story on current woppling?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I started this thread and I'm inclined to give Nelson absolution from any sort of censorship because of the great gifts he has given us all. Where else can you find a world-class manufacturer so willing to share their intellectual property? Is there any other individual who has so altruistically contributed so much to the DIY forum?

I'm sure Nelson doesn't need me to defend his integrity. But it does irk me when someone questions it.

Regards,
Dan

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
hail to the king

dantwomey said:
I started this thread and I'm inclined to give Nelson absolution from any sort of censorship because of the great gifts he has given us all. Where else can you find a world-class manufacturer so willing to share their intellectual property? Is there any other individual who has so altruistically contributed so much to the DIY forum?

I'm sure Nelson doesn't need me to defend his integrity. But it does irk me when someone questions it.

Regards,
Dan

???????

absolution from any sort of censorship because of the great gifts he has given us all

That is a dangerous way of thinking. So if I contribute a great way to the DIY community I get absolution from any form of censorship ?? Is this some man-deity confusion ??

This forum is about audio, we're not talking about the work of mother Theresa.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: hail to the king

dantwomey said:
[snip]Is there any other individual who has so altruistically contributed so much to the DIY forum?[snip]Dan

They're all over this forum man. You only read one man's post? This really is an insult to all the Peter Daniels, SY's, analog_sa's, Christers, and a hundred others!
If you have the irresistable urge to tong-shine someone's shoes, pray do it somewhere where we can't see it.

Jan Didden

Jan, my personal feeling about this (speaking strictly as a member, not as a mod) is that I welcome the sorts of things that Lars and Nelson are doing, given that they are quite open about what they do for a living and that they're competitors. The criticisms are technical and not personal. There are indeed agendas, but they're not hidden, they're out for everyone to see- and judge for themselves.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Let me see if I can follow you here. If Nelson's believes that based on his knowledge and experience a competitor's design and or claims are questionable. He is not to comment? In fact, it was I that indirectly asked his opinion. By what measure was he not to offer his opinion on a specific question regarding amplifier design? If it makes anyone feel any better I can repost a very specific question without any references to any particular company.

Regards,
Dan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: hail to the king

janneman said:

They're all over this forum man. You only read one man's post? This really is an insult to all the Peter Daniels, SY's, analog_sa's, Christers, and a hundred others!
If you have the irresistable urge to tong-shine someone's shoes, pray do it somewhere where we can't see it.

Jan Didden

IMHO. I fail to see how applauding any one individual's contributions diminishes the contributions of others.

Regards,
Dan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
dantwomey said:
Let me see if I can follow you here. If Nelson's believes that based on his knowledge and experience a competitor's design and or claims are questionable. He is not to comment? In fact, it was I that indirectly asked his opinion. By what measure was he not to offer his opinion on a specific question regarding amplifier design? If it makes anyone feel any better I can repost a very specific question without any references to any particular company.

Regards,
Dan

Dan, you don't get the point. Did you read my post with the example of the mother who is asked her opinion whether her baby is beautifull or ugly? Some questions you don't ask, out of respect to the other party. You don't ask one competitor on his opinion of another competitor's design on diyAudio, because you put him in an impossible position.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: hail to the king

dantwomey said:

IMHO. I fail to see how applauding any one individual's contributions diminishes the contributions of others.

Regards,
Dan

If you say "who else but ..." you DO. That's basic, sorry. I don't know what you do for a living, but do this ONCE with your co-workers or employees, and you've had it.

Jan Didden

Joined 2002
Paid Member
janneman said:

Dan, you don't get the point. Did you read my post with the example of the mother who is asked her opinion whether her baby is beautifull or ugly? Some questions you don't ask, out of respect to the other party. You don't ask one competitor on his opinion of another competitor's design on diyAudio, because you put him in an impossible position.

Jan Didden

A good point but I myself would be more inclined to agree with what Sy said. Before I got off track I was thinking about how to articulate, just as Sy did, that I would rather hear Nelson's opinion and let us be the judge of its validity.

Regards,
Dan

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Just different approaches that can be judged by others.

Exactly what I think about it too....

IOW, as long as you know what you're doing as a designer, you can make both ideas work.

BTW, a Dutch high-end company once touted their amp having a multitude of PS caps in // in order to reduce ESR...I can only assume they knew what they were doing, right?
This was many years ago and I've no idea whether or not they still adhere to the same philosophy but from a Dutch/ecomical POV it surely must be cheaper to buy in lots of smaller caps than just a few big ones...
In those days low ESR electrolytic caps weren't all that common so it would make sense.

Anyone with a little understanding of electronics will see the risks of such an approach. What works here won't necessarilly work there etc.

Either way, I fail to see the big issue here...

Cheers,;)

P.S. There was a Belgian high-end company that did the same thing too...I think there out of business for a number of years already now....Ouch.

Well I guess if enough people build it and actually hear an improvement, in an AB test there must be something to it.

Lars,
Why is it that the ZAPsolute Mk4.1 and ZAPpulse use this type of power supply and The End Millennium \ XP does not? Would a class AB amp not be able to benefit from this power supply technology?

Leve

New life in the ol' thread ....

Leve: It surely would!

In the days where Millennium PSU was designed, we just didn't know about this phenomena, so we designed several amps with many small caps, to get the ESR down.

All had the hard midrange, and the slightly fuzzy top. Until we started using the V4P power supply. In fact this PSU was one of the major upgrades between ZAPsolute 2.0 and 4.0. But the same system can be used in almost any Class A or A/B power amplifier, and for just a few $ improve your sound quality emmensely.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
fdegrove said:

BTW, a Dutch high-end company once touted their amp having a multitude of PS caps in // in order to reduce ESR...I can only assume they knew what they were doing, right?
This was many years ago and I've no idea whether or not they still adhere to the same philosophy but from a Dutch/ecomical POV it surely must be cheaper to buy in lots of smaller caps than just a few big ones...
In those days low ESR electrolytic caps weren't all that common so it would make sense.

That must be a Belgian POV in economics because in the Netherlands several smaller caps are more expensive than just one big one ;)

In the United States buying the small caps are less costly then the big cans, at last for the ones I looked up DigiKey and Mouser.

Lars,
Do you have a favorite rectifier you recommend? As you know I ordered the parts for the Millennium. That’s what the supply is for. I see from your site you like schottky barrier rectifiers in full plastic packages when you can use them.

The best I can come up with from DigiKey and Mouser is FYPF2010DN it’s a dual schottky barrier rectifiers in a TO-220F package rated at 100V and 20A. I have to be careful being a dual diode with 3 pins (I will only be using 2) they sometime double the current rating, that doesn’t look to be the case here, but it’s hard to tell. According to your web page the supply I need is 45Vdc. At $.87 the price is certainly right. If the ratings are to low I’ll guess I’ll have to go with something else.

Leve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.