Lab12 - Tapped Horn

Measuring is knowing as we say here in the Netherlands. Moving these subs around will be quite te task. Thankfully there a transporttrolly's. Eq will be done when I've got everything in order. There's not much placement options though considering the size of the thing. Basically two, front or back because of my room layout.

I can vouch for these near field, ie back wall behind the sofa. They're so clean and effortless.

Attachments

• Alpine tapped horn mouths facing.jpg
    Alpine tapped horn mouths facing.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 55
By change I came across a potentially nice deal on some second hand jbl cs1214 woofers that are as good as new for 30 euro a piece. Did some sims and they turn out to be better in terms of max spl, more even freq response and group delay. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• jbl cs1214.png
    jbl cs1214.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 59
  • jbl cs1214 hornresp input par.png
    jbl cs1214 hornresp input par.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 57
  • jbl cs1214 diaph displ @ 22V.png
    jbl cs1214 diaph displ @ 22V.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 45
  • jbl cs1214 GD.png
    jbl cs1214 GD.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 54
  • jbl cs1214 maxspl@22V.png
    jbl cs1214 maxspl@22V.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 58
  • maxspl jbl (grey) vs alpine (black).png
    maxspl jbl (grey) vs alpine (black).png
    14.1 KB · Views: 57
The JBL CS1214 venting does not appear to make wind noise, so at least that is good.
Looks like it should work in the TH, though it sounds like the distortion may be a lot higher than other speakers with similar TS parameters:

https://www.beisammen.de/index.php?thread/120161-test-jbl-cs1214/

Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 2.02.06 PM.png

I have not signed up on that site so can't read the distortion curves, but if distortion shows up at half Xmax free air, could be a problem in the TH loading.

@Magician1981

This is the woofer in my neighbor's Honda, though had forgotten it was a ~17 Hz T-TQWT (inverse tapered TH) and as of yesterday still pounding out Tex Mex hip hop? Regardless, thoroughly obnoxious resonant noise to my Classical/Big Band/Country/DooWop/R&R upbringings. :sigh:

Attachments

• JBLCS1214TTQWT.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: 1 users
First of all let me thank everyone who has contributed to this project and helping me out with getting this th build of the ground using different drivers.
After thinking things through I've came to the conclusion that a single large th sub would be preferable. One that goes deeper, has higher spl and smaller overall footprint. After searching various forums I landed on a th design called lilwrecker. It's a single 15'' tuned around +-17hz, but goes as deep as 15hz (room acoustics aside). For those who are interested please have a look at the attached sims. Driver is a kicker cvr124 and costs about 230 Euro's. My amp delivers about 250W 8 ohms in bridge.

Kind regards.

Attachments

• cvr154 hornresp input par.png
    cvr154 hornresp input par.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 36
  • cvr154 GD.png
    cvr154 GD.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 40
  • svr124 maxspl@15hz@53,5V355W.png
    svr124 maxspl@15hz@53,5V355W.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 45
  • svr124 maxspl@18hz@53,5V355W.png
    svr124 maxspl@18hz@53,5V355W.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 46
  • svr124 excur@15hz@44,7V250W17mm.png
    svr124 excur@15hz@44,7V250W17mm.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
@Magician1981

This is the woofer in my neighbor's Honda, though had forgotten it was a ~17 Hz T-TQWT (inverse tapered TH) and as of yesterday still pounding out Tex Mex hip hop? Regardless, thoroughly obnoxious resonant noise to my Classical/Big Band/Country/DooWop/R&R upbringings. :sigh:
1694288960322.png

nice! whats 'thoroughly obnoxious resonant noise'? the sound of that design in the car by chance?

Reactions: 1 user
My bad it's cvr154. In the comment section of hornresp is the correct driver. Regarding ts parameters, those are provided by the manufacturer. The designer of this sub has verified that the cvx154 works well with this design. Someone on that forum used the cvr154 and confirmed that it works also. He included some spl measurements.
Regarding vas that comes very close to the cvx. Q's are somewhat off.

nice! whats 'thoroughly obnoxious resonant noise'? the sound of that design in the car by chance?
Its typical ~ 'one note' booming of the trunk from the outside, i.e. a boom-boom car. Inside it's even more obnoxious with some action movies and associated hip hop? I was in and out pretty quick! Regardless, they're happy and the $40? JBL on sale some years ago has so far been quite the bargain.

Reactions: 1 user
My bad it's cvr154. In the comment section of hornresp is the correct driver. Regarding ts parameters, those are provided by the manufacturer. The designer of this sub has verified that the cvx154 works well with this design. Someone on that forum used the cvr154 and confirmed that it works also. He included some spl measurements.
Regarding vas that comes very close to the cvx. Q's are somewhat off.
Not saying it won't work, just that the published specs aren't even in the same 'ballpark', so please post what all you have as these are cheap mobile audio speakers, which don't include big a$$ motor/low Qts bass horn driver specs. The 'giveaway' is the 27.57 BL, 8.0 Le specs.

Also, they don't post driver 'Sd' specs or even its effective piston diameter, so how did they arrive at it as it's size is even bigger than my Altec's long time record setting 12.75" eff. dia..

Sd is at the bottom of the page:

Sd 839.82 cm²

Good point regarding vc diameter. Could not find it anywhere.
What do you mean with all that I have? All the drivers that are available here?

The problem is that there aren't many suitable drivers available here as for example the usa. On parts expresse there are a ton listed for decent prices. Those ones, if available in the netherland, costs about 40% more making it not a real good deal. So consessions have to be made.

What would your preferable ts par look like?

Looking into T-TQWT on this forum. Found a very long thread. Are there any plans listed somewhere of the final version? Could someone please tell me if distortion is the same with other types of TH in theory?
There are many T-TQWT designs & plans on this forum, here's one:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/t-tqwt-subwoofer.232767/

Given the same voltage input, a T-TQWT has similar SPL output to a BR of the same volume, a TH has greater SPL over a more limited usable bandwidth.
The TH's higher compression ratio puts more stress on the cone, contributing to more distortion per given voltage/excursion, but similar distortion for a given SPL.

Reactions: 2 users