Lab12 - Tapped Horn

Amp upgrades in the future perhaps with higher damping factor and power. For now It does the job. Been modeling this TH with a Lab12C and if I am doing things correct it does 107,8dB @ 18Hz with 20V-100W input to get to xmax of 13 mm. That's not much more compared to that cheap gziw 300 (106,3dB @ 18Hz 15,75V-62W xmax of 9,2mm).

Off course the build quality of the driver is not in the same class but the price difference is huge.

Here is a better gziw driver, the 12xspl-d2. Costs around 180 euro, which is half the price of a lab12c and outperforms it by roughly 3dB. Build quality of the driver looks pretty good. Took an average value for Sd to get to the manufacturer given Bl factor and used roughly 1/3 of the manufacturers given xmax (34mm). 110,7dB@18Hz with 24V (145W) input, compared to the lab12c's 108dB@18Hz with 20V (100W) input.

Attachments

• 12xspl-d2 hornresp input par.png
    12xspl-d2 hornresp input par.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 12xspl-d2 maxspl@24V-145W.png
    12xspl-d2 maxspl@24V-145W.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 41
  • lab12c hornresp input par.png
    lab12c hornresp input par.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 37
  • lab12c maxspl@20V-100W.png
    lab12c maxspl@20V-100W.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Alpine swg-1244 vs lab12c. Costs about 120 euro, but can be purchased from Germany at the moment for around 80 euro. Shipping costs not included.
Same performance and a decent woofer according to manufacturer info. Little bit eq @ 50Hz -3dB and LP @ 60Hz and we are are basically there. Room eq comes later. This probably the best bang for the buck option right?

Attachments

• ts par.png
    ts par.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 39
  • info.png
    info.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 44
  • swg-1244 maxspl@20V-100W.png
    swg-1244 maxspl@20V-100W.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 54
  • swg-1244 hornresp input par.png
    swg-1244 hornresp input par.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 47
  • lab12c maxspl@20V-100W.png
    lab12c maxspl@20V-100W.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 39
  • lab12c hornresp input par.png
    lab12c hornresp input par.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 45
If the Alpine SWG-1244 Xmag of 23mm (the displacement at which the BL product has fallen to 70% of its value at the cone's rest position) is correct, it should outperform the LAB 12C by a good margin in peak output while costing considerably less. That said, the power handling looks a little light for the excursion capability, but a lot of bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The LAB12 has the same 13mm Xmax rating as the LAB12C.
My distortion/excursion testing of the LAB12 showed pretty clean response to Xmax (<10%), than very rapid distortion increase past Xmax, which would indicate Xmax and Xmag being near the same value.

The Alpine Type-R SWR-1223D has 22mm Xmax at 10% distortion, but uses a 44mm deep coil and a lot more magnet.

I still think the Alpine SWG-1244 may have a bit more clean excursion then the Lab12, but not as much as I thought in post #336 ;)

The Alpine SWG-1244 and Eminence use the same formula for Xmax ( Voice coil height minus top plate thickness, divided by 2)(Hvc-Hag/2) to figure Xmax.
The Alpine SWG-1244 Xmax is rated for less than the LAB12, but it's Xmag of 23mm is probably more, my guestimate (based on 10% distortion) is the LAB12 has an Xmag of around 13-15mm.

The mechanical determination of Xmax is not always predictive of Bl at different excursion levels- B&C woofers Xvar is slightly more or less than Xmax depending on the construction.
The Klippel test of Xmag (or Xvar as B&C call it) is really where it's at for excursion, voltage can't control the cone when the magnetic force drops off too far.

Reactions: 1 user
Group delay is more about decay time by 'x' frequency rather than peak amplitude and IME if mostly decayed away by ~35 Hz, don't care how high it is based on its 'tightness'/'heart attack fast' LF, etc., transients of the many low tuned EBS alignments I did way back when I hadn't known there was another name for it. Regardless, the first of many threads around the WWW that made me aware.

Anyway, considering your 60 Hz low pass it seems 'much ado about nothing' to me, especially since a very cheap JBL mobile Audio 12" woofer I did a TH design for a neighbor's Honda Accord some years ago now had much higher GD, but a more rapid decay that allowed a 120 Hz XO with no complaints from me or the others, though of course YMMV, FWIW, etc.. ;)

Group delay is a measure of the rate of change of phase with respect to frequency, and is positive when the phase slope is negative.
Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 3.47.42 PM.png

The phase slope is generally the inverse of the frequency response:

Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 4.45.19 PM.png

Like GM says, considering your 60 Hz low pass, nothing much to worry about.
That said, if you were to push the drivers into distortion, the resonant delay of the distortion harmonics ringing can be a problem. If I'm right about the Alpine SWG-1244 Xmag of 23mm being considerably more than the LAB12s, that ringing would be far less when driven past Xmax.

Danley used damping and absorption tubes in the DTS20 "Tower of Power" to reduce the ringing problem and increase it's usable range.

DTS 20 Pipes!.png

Because of my room layout and available space I'm going for a different port placement. If I am correct te surface area is 379,6 cm squared. Looking at the picture that I've obtained from another forum there seems to be added a small diagonal piece internally. Is this necessary for proper function or can I just make a square exit that has one side slightly diagonal (right side)? Minor trapezoid-ish.

Attachments

• port setup.gif
    port setup.gif
    12 KB · Views: 53
  • port setup mod.png
    port setup mod.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: