kwak-clock connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: KWAK CLOCK connection

Elso Kwak said:
Hi Nick,
The crystal(XD01) and the two small caps connected to it (CD02 & CD03 ) should be removed from the CDP. The crystal can be used in the KWAK-CLOCK.
The ouput of the KWAK-CLOCK should be connected to one of the PCB solderpads of the original crystal. According to LCAudio it is the pad closest to the rear panel.
Also you have to find +/- 5V and ground.:)
----------------------------------------------

Elso

I can't find your email but please stop sending me emails with viruses in them. I got one yesterday which was fortunately filtered by Norton and when I opened it there was nothing inside.

VIRUSES

Hi Fmak,
I am <B>NOT</B> sending you viruses but I receive four ww32.Klez type viruses per day from various unknown sources.
My computer is clean i.e. free of virus.!:cool:
Notice to all users of this forum if you receive a email from a unidentified source with a text for a funny website or the next case of humor or socalled "returned mail" <B>DO NOT</B> open the attachment and delete the email completely and permanently!!!:rolleyes:
BTW FMak you are NOT in my addressbook!

elso
i was wondering you could help me out
i install the clock like the lc audio instructions for cd63
i don't have a scope at home so i use the multimeter to verify the voltage
for +v the voltage is 4.89
for -v the voltage is -5.15
i can't precisely set the voltage yet using lm337,317
external power supply used
when i power on the clock, there is no voltage at the output
i am check the voltage at the clock's output with the clock ground
but when i power up the cd-player then the voltage increase to 2.5 volts only

at different ground point i get different readings
when i check output voltage of the clock to the power supply ground i get 4.75 voltage which is correct
due to this problem my cd player can't recognise any disk at all
should i try the bleeder resistor of 1M and the 3.3uh choke install
i was wondering what is the use of the bleeder resistor i have seen this use in many tube circuits, also what's the use of the 3.3 uh choke
what is the 1k resistor iceman has used?

Kwak-Clock Connection

Hi NickC,
The voltage readings are OK including the 2.5V.
Bleeder resistor is for preventing charging up the input XIN of the DSP. You could also omit the 0.01µF output cap in the clock.
3.3µH choke works for the Sony CDPXA30ES Why.....? Don't know.
1k resitor is only for trying the two pads of the original crystal for connecting the clock. The right one works thereafter you should omit the 1k resistor.;) Don't forget to connect the ground of the KWAK-CLOCK to the ground of the PCB of the CDP.;)

elso

i have install the clock
sounds great when compared to the normal clock used in cdp
however not very sure to install the clock circuit properly as in place the circuit properly. at the moment the cdp is happy with the circuit board floating in the air perpendicular to the pcb of the cdp
sometimes in different position the clock doesn't work at all or most of the time there would be static that come and go
i connected the ground of the clock to the separate power supply i built
is this correct or do i have to connect it to the cd-player ground
the static is annoying really need to get rid of it
anyone can shed some light on my problem?

write about the problem here
i could help you
i spend 8 hours figuring out how to work the clock
write about the connection you have used
the type of power supply you are using (from the cd player or external)
basically everything you did for the clock
that's what's the forum for
could many possiblity of problems
grounding, wrong connections, position of the circuit and parts used in the pcb could be some of the problems

yup i know that now after posting the reply. did some fiddling around
elso
for your clock you used a choke
how did you know to use a choke(reason)
for mine it works in a certain position(haven't mount it properly)
and when i try to install the lid of the cdp the clock doesn't work
plus there is noise now from the cdp
and static burst
would it hurt if i install the choke 3.3uf

i have finish figuring out the clock circuit
it work well on my cd63 player now
however in the circuit elso design the load resistor to the crystal to be 10M this cause a main problem in my cdp(static noise,crystal not starting,hum,etc)
i check my service manual for my cdp
it indicates that the load resistor is 1M so i swap the resistor and most of my problems went away
so do check out your resistor value 10M is quite big and the clock may not start when power is applied
i will email elso to tell about this problem

I'm trying to build a delicated PS for the Kwak Clock. Where should I connect the gnd from the output of the rectifier to? Should I use the gnd of the bridge rectifier as the central ground for the PS or should I use the gnd from the CDP? Where should I place the choke if I want to use it in the PS? Is it better to replace the SBYV27-200 (soft recovery ultra fast rectifiers) to schottky rectifiers? If yes, which schottky rectifers should I use?
Thanks.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

KWAK-CLOCK Connection

Hi NickC,
By a strange coincidence I experienced the same problems as you had with a brand new CD. Suddenly a crackling noise was in the music and even dropouts.
I tried the 1M resistor from the gate of the FET to ground. It did not help. Then I omitted the 10pF cap in series with the crystal. That did the trick. [It was a relict from the old circuit with the bipolar transistor preventing DC-bias on the crystal. The gate is biased to ground; no DC voltage on the crystal here] {This will make Peranders very happy as he consired this cap a <I>death sin</I>} ;)
So simply connect the crystal directly between the gate of the FET and ground!
Jarthel I hope this will improve things in your case too!:)

As for the powersupply with the LT1086 and the LT1033 I am simply using the circuit as in the datasheets with a 10µF cap on the bypass pin of the regulators and two 10000µF(!) at the output of the regulators i.e. at the +/-5V. The bridge rectifier is the one of the digital circuit of the CDP and consists of four 11DQ10 Schottky diodes. The raw supply filter caps are 4700µF elctrolytics.:) Please <B>don't use +/- 10V </B>on the comparator. This most certainly will burn it.;)

elso
10 pf in series with the crystal was to prevent voltage entering the crystal via the bjt. but with the jfets instead of bjt the was no dc bias across the crystal therefore the 10pf was redundant rite,as bjt need a 0.7volt to turn on while fets need almost no turn on voltage rite?There for no dc bias protection rite?

does the sound change ,when you bypass the 10pf cap?

also for a good ps for walt jung design using the lt1033,86
check out melbornelabs website for the schematic. I think is www.melbornelabs.com.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.