• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

KT90's anyone using'em ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen it said numerous times that the OS EI KT-90s "killed" in triode. If those were based on the EL519 type tubes, would it follow that the EL519-types would also be glorious in triode?

I ask because the EL519-types are easier to come by and being a diy'er we are not tied to specific pinouts that the KT88 types require.

I am thinking that George's PP KT88 project idea that he has written about might be a good place for these types.

EHkt90 in simple se

I have a unique stereo. Plate amps driving open baffle 15" woofers below 200Hz driven by my Moscode 600.
Tubelabs simple se in triode mode above that driving Audio Nirvana 10" open baffle.
I set up my dB meter and checked with a sterophile disc the freq response with both KT88 then my new EH KT90 (in the simple se) really no difference in output (not louder). A few frequencies were up (or down) a dB or so but mostly identicle output.
The only change was when I changed to the KT90 I upped the bias (according to my calculations about 43watts plate dissipation= no plate glow)
Tubes are still a little too young to say if I like them better or not, but this little amp shows clear differences in sound from other various tubes I've tried
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.