• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

KT88 SE Basic or Master Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered this kit, Scott was kind enough to ship it to an address I visited while on vacation in the States where I picked it up and hauled it back to Norway through carefully packed checked baggage. This of course didn't stop the TSA from undoing his careful packing job and making a mess of things. I'm certain that they are responsible for the only damage sustained to the kit which was a ruined KT88 tube. I think also the case was a little bit tweaked on the front edge, but that is easily repaired next time I open the case up.

I'd love to write a full review but, missing one of the key components due to the travel difficulties has made this one interesting "monoblock". So far, however, I am very pleased with the detailed instructions with pictures, carefully packed and separated items. He even includes the hex key needed to tighten the potentiometer knob and the power cord for Norway! It's a non-issue to convert between 120 and 240. The difficulty constructing this kit was much lower than I thought at first glance.

Scott's communication has been fantastic throughout this ordering process. I am happy to be a proud owner of the KT88 SE Master kit :)

I'm attaching some photos at the following imgur album link. I believe that I will finish the capacitors and fix up the sides of the xfmrs, but for now it looks really sharp. My next project will be to make a suitable DAC, and then the speakers. I have a lot of work left, I suppose.

KT88 SE Amplifier Build - Imgur

Thanks Scott!

I've had mine up and running for a week or so now and I'm really pleased with it. Excellent with my 100db speakers, no humming very quiet indeed.

This was my first valve amp build and Scott's instructions made the whole thing a real pleasure to do. Scott is the perfect gent to deal with too.

I just bought my 1st amp kit too! How exciting! This will keep me amused for ages. Now I just got to figure out how to break it to the wifey?...

Hi Tim,

I think you're really going to like the amp. A buddy of mine (Dave Rosgaard) built one of the amps and is very happy with it. So far, every single person that's heard his amp has praised it, and it's certainly not an easy crowd to please by any means!

Best Regards,
Terry Olson

All of the kits have been sold.

Thanks to all.

Scott

No . . . THANK YOU!!!

I'm glad I got mine when I did. You did a great job on the design and the kit came with excellent instructions. The idea of a "first time amp build" was a bit overwhelming at first thought, but the instruction details in this kit were very good.

I completed mine a little over a year ago, and have to say that the sound is superb. :up:

The only problem I've had is that it's been in storage for the past few months, while the "man cave" has been under construction! :( I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up again in the new digs. :D

~Dave

Attachments

• amp_wiring_complete.jpg
    amp_wiring_complete.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 428
  • HT_tube.jpg
    HT_tube.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 421
  • amp_rear.jpg
    amp_rear.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 405
  • amp_running.jpg
    amp_running.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 415
No . . . THANK YOU!!!

I'm glad I got mine when I did. You did a great job on the design and the kit came with excellent instructions. The idea of a "first time amp build" was a bit overwhelming at first thought, but the instruction details in this kit were very good.

I completed mine a little over a year ago, and have to say that the sound is superb. :up:

The only problem I've had is that it's been in storage for the past few months, while the "man cave" has been under construction! :( I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up again in the new digs. :D

~Dave

Dave's amp turned out very nice and sounds great! He's very proud how it turned out, as he should be!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hi Scott,

All of the kits have been sold.

Thanks to all.

Scott

I'd really wanted to try out your Design of this Amp. But the shipping costs to Europe (incl. the transformers) are ridiculous.
Sorry!

Are there more Europeans out there that want to build the same Design?

May be we can find find an extra solution?

I really would like to test it!

Ciao
Christoph

It should not be that difficult to source the parts locally. As you know, the parts list is in the very first post of this thread as well as the transformer specifications.
Here is the link to the schematic and chassis layout:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/175786-kt88-se-complete-kit-13.html See post #126

There are several photos of the interior layout in this thread. The layout and grounding scheme is important. It is also important to use the individual LC filters for the driver tube.

I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Scott

May be we can find find an extra solution?

I really would like to test it!

Ciao
Christoph

I haven't even built mine yet but I'm already excited and hankering, got the 'covets' for a 2 x SE KT88 mono block. Hint hint. Should probably finish this one first. Maybe in a year from now. My build will be slow. This will be my first valve amp. What kinds of speakers are people using? Dave R looks like he has some DIY 2.5 way? How does it go Dave?

Dave R looks like he has some DIY 2.5 way? How does it go Dave?

The TMM in my set up is not a 2.5 way. The (2) 6.5 midwoofers are 4-ohm, wired together in series for a (nominal) 8-ohm load. The crossover from woofer branch to tweeter is a series. I would consider it a 2-way. These are tuned to ~ 41 Hz.

The TMM's are very nice sounding (IMHO of course :p ) . However the hefty impedance swing from 7 ohms to 40+ ohms on the mass loaded peaks make this tube amp struggle a bit on the low end. Nothing a properly adjusted sub can't accommodate, though. If I had to do it over again, I'd look at (2) 8-ohm midwoofers and a single (more efficient) 4 ohm tweeter. The mass loaded peaks would be half, instead of double in that case. The good thing is that the impedance of the TMM's is not an issue for the SS amp.

I have a smaller 2-way bookshelf pair (also vented, and also series crossover) which is a magical match with this amp. It is tuned to ~ 64 Hz, but even without a sub I find it quite enjoyable. One day, I'll re-build the cabinets on these to match the amp case.

Dear Scott,

It should not be that difficult to source the parts locally. As you know, the parts list is in the very first post of this thread

sure, and I think all of us wich are following the thread appriciate that a lot.

as well as the transformer specifications.

That was the purpose of my post: Did anybody in Europe find any good source for the heavy stuff?

Here is the link to the schematic and chassis layout:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/175786-kt88-se-complete-kit-13.html See post #126

There are several photos of the interior layout in this thread. The layout and grounding scheme is important. It is also important to use the individual LC filters for the driver tube.

I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Scott

Scott, the purpose of this post was:
Buy your chassis/Kit,witch i really lik, but without the heavy stuff.
Find some people around here to get a small series made of the coils.

Ciao
Christoph

The TMM in my set up is not a 2.5 way. The (2) 6.5 midwoofers are 4-ohm, wired together in series for a (nominal) 8-ohm load. The crossover from woofer branch to tweeter is a series. I would consider it a 2-way. These are tuned to ~ 41 Hz.

The TMM's are very nice sounding (IMHO of course :p ) . However the hefty impedance swing from 7 ohms to 40+ ohms on the mass loaded peaks make this tube amp struggle a bit on the low end. Nothing a properly adjusted sub can't accommodate, though. If I had to do it over again, I'd look at (2) 8-ohm midwoofers and a single (more efficient) 4 ohm tweeter. The mass loaded peaks would be half, instead of double in that case. The good thing is that the impedance of the TMM's is not an issue for the SS amp.

I have a smaller 2-way bookshelf pair (also vented, and also series crossover) which is a magical match with this amp. It is tuned to ~ 64 Hz, but even without a sub I find it quite enjoyable. One day, I'll re-build the cabinets on these to match the amp case.

On SS, Dave's TMM's sound very nice, however they are totally eclipsed by the DR1s and 2s with tubes, which is an excellent match for the speakers.
Just a note: unlike some of the popular wisdom that unfortunately passes for truth, it's certainly possible to have better bass from tubes, if the speakers are correctly designed with that in mind.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.