Krill - The little amp that might...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello I have been following this thread since the begining and I am very interested, but with not working (tuff times), I am low on funds , So has anyone had the time to finish thier builds, could you give some listening impressions, how does it compare to other amps you have ? THANKS for any info - dean

hallcon83 said:
hello I have been following this thread since the begining and I am very interested, but with not working (tuff times), I am low on funds , So has anyone had the time to finish thier builds, could you give some listening impressions, how does it compare to other amps you have ? THANKS for any info - dean

The completed ones have appeared in the Krill construction thread with some reviews.
Mine is done (not with steves boards or output transistors) and I'm pleased, its substituted for my lecson AP1 poweramp in my system and is I think a bit better mainly in the base.

Alan

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Steve Dunlap said:
Hi Thomas,
I know this is a sensitive issue with some of the more knowledge people here, but how do they sound?
Could you re post the stuffing guide you did for the boards? The paper copies I have been working with aren't clear enough for some people to make out everything. Thanks.

Hi Steve (and da rest of Ya)

Sad to say I've been to busy with Susan to get anything done with the amps. Long story short - after seeing seveal different flavors of Dr's (all very good) she is getting a Pacemaker installed this coming week. Plus I've been wanting to put the amps into a case before I put 'em through their paces. Figuring the case will help to cut down shielding and interference problems. Perhaps I'm being a little to cautious about that - but I'll see if I can get back to things.

Man - finding case and chassis in USA is hard to do - looks as if I'm gonna wind up doing a Hammond box and add some wood and faceplate pretty up's to get things looking decent. That's not quite what I wanted to do and I might still go with modding a HTPC case. Time to get to work I guess!!!!

Oh yeah - the other problem - my old PC was getting sick (hey - I'm a PC) so I loaded up a newer one and the stuffing guide is over on the old PC. Give me a chance to load up some software and do a file xfer and I'll post the guide a little later today.

Hi Thomas,

Sorry to hear Susan is having more health problems. Take care of her first.

Don't forget the on line metals source. They cut to size at no extra charge. There is a limit of two cuts per piece, but that usually works. I think I know a place locally that can help with the finish work and drilling. :D

Hi Steve,

I think that on the schematic the voltage rating of C3, C4 should be 63V instead of 100V. BOM is ok.
Not so important, but a little bit confusing.

Hi Thomas tell Susan not to worry. Pacemakers are like identification chips these days. And the most important is having a DIYer husband she doesn't have to worry about the PSU ;) (joke of course)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello All - esp. Steve and Marinos and JK

Thank Your for your kind wishes and prayers. Susan and I are most confident with her Doctor's and the procedure. After my 5 way by-pass last year this is a walk in the park. :rolleyes:

Marinos - the solid state amps will only hurt you for a little while - the tube amps will BITE you goooooood :skull: I got nailed by 600VDC B+ back around 1970 and it's a good thing that I had my wrist in contact with the metal chassis (good safety trick) so it only got me in the hand. That was the 1st and only time I got nailed (whew) and that was because the ship was rolling around and I lost my footing for a second. Getting around the 100Kv stuff can make the hair on your arms stand up tho - :att'n: Hmmm - I wonder if putting in some better caps will smooth out any 2nd or 3rd harmonics on that Pacemaker thingie?? :scratch:
:cheers:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Steve Dunlap said:
Hi Thomas,

Could you re post the stuffing guide you did for the boards? The paper copies I have been working with aren't clear enough for some people to make out everything. Thanks.

Attached stuffing guide - PM me if Ya want a 1meg "supersized" one.

:D

Attachments

• stuffing guide v2-9b 16 march 2009 gif.gif
    stuffing guide v2-9b 16 march 2009 gif.gif
    91.4 KB · Views: 2,482
Hi ferynov;

I have pretty much avoided saying anything about the sound for a number of reasons. The sound that people like is very subjective. Some people prefer different sounds. Some people claim all amps sound the same.

I personally think my amps sound very good, but then most designers do.

I will E-mail you the schematics and BOM for both amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.