Krell KSA 50 PCB

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi all, JOHN65B, I also built the 1996 JLH ( not the high powered version ). I liked it a lot, very musical, bit fiddly to set up, I'm sure you will love it. Also have you looked at J Hiraga 20 watt class A, that's nice too.
Alan.

Hey Alan,

Finally finished the Hi power JLH. Mine are a pair of 2SC5200/side per channel, 2.3A quiescent bias, and +/-26VDC rails, but otherwise pretty spot on Geoff's schematic. I have it driving my Tympani IVa and is handling it quite well. Initial listening impressions is it slightly lacks the deep bass of the Krell, but definitely has some of that Class A mid and HF magic that few amps have. I really like it. I have it loaned out to a friend that has very, very nice Levinson equipment for an opinion...

ed062178

Too bad I moved away from SLC in 2008, or you would have been more than welcome to hear my KSA50. I lived on South Mountain in Draper, and now back in Chicago. I plan to retire someday to Park City tho...I told my wife that I was going to open up a Victoria's Secret Supermodel Polygamist camp out in the Utah desert someday...she gave me the rolleyes.....

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
KatieandDad,

I have both - a (DIY bias unlimited) Aleph 5, Krell (and now the JLH) and I SLIGHTLY like the Krell best. The Krell does have some incredible bottom end...You should build one for your own edification before saying such things, tho....I bet you would be impressed.

Not to take anything from Pass, but the Krell is a bit more complicated, at least to my simple mind.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Oh, an original Krell KSA250...I am far too cheap to buy a real one.

The High Power JLH (40 - 50 watts) is also very good.

I did buy a real Aleph 5 to compare my DIY Aleph 5 (with Aleph 60 front end) and I could not tell the difference...very nice amps with everything one could want, but a little bass shy, that's all.

Next is the Aleph JX... Just need a little time tho...

Hello
I like a lot some of Pass Aleph amplifier like AX, I built Aleph30, I'm in the process to build a Aleph2 and A40.
They are great amps but that not mean some of Krell amp not as good.
Krell 50 is a great amp, probably with better-deeper bass com pare to Aleph30.
But before someone jump on me I have to write diferent taste diferent wine!
I'm very grateful to N Pass for made it available his amplifiers DIY-ers like us.

Greetings gabor

Hello
I like a lot some of Pass Aleph amplifier like AX, I built Aleph30, I'm in the process to build a Aleph2 and A40.
They are great amps but that not mean some of Krell amp not as good.
Krell 50 is a great amp, probably with better-deeper bass com pare to Aleph30.
But before someone jump on me I have to write diferent taste diferent wine!
I'm very grateful to N Pass for made it available his amplifiers DIY-ers like us.

Greetings gabor

The Aleph 2 is GREAT but is only about 25W.

If you want a bit more dynamics you need to move up to the Aleph 4 or 5.

The front end is very similar but uses different PSU rails and more output devices.

I found the Aleph 4 perfect even if I did have to match over 24 IRFP244s.

Attachments

• Aleph 2 review.jpg
    Aleph 2 review.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Yeah, that's it what the review quoted by me formulates poetically.
If I would can in English, neither I would be able to formulate this more nicely.

I want to talk nobody out of Krell amplifier construction of course.
Indeed, I will be unfaithful to Papa once possibly.

Last edited: