Krell KSA 50 PCB

Holy Smokes,

I ordered all passives from DigiKey yesterday evening, and today guy calls me back that parts will be delivered to my front door in monday morning!!! :bigeyes: Man that's fast, when considering distance between Finland and U.S. and the fact that there's weekend in between.
DigiKey must have plenty of slack in their prices since they don't even charge anything for shipping. Though I bought enough parts to make 10 channels, but I reckon that it's good to have some spares for future. Only downside is, I have to pay 30€ customs and VAT, I should have bought the parts for my company...

Guys

I have searched around and I can find NO information on how to use the BrianGT PSU PCBs with the KSA.

Is there any circuit diagram? Anything else I can go on? A BOM would be useful also.

Cheers

PS. I have received my PCBs from BrianGT and Bob Groger on Tuesday this week. Not too shabby.

I recommended the BrianGT board to henryve as a good "universal" Power Supply board. Henry, all you need is 4 TO-220 16A fast rectifiers, 4 heat sinks, and 8 10 or 15000uf filter caps. Just follow the KSA50 PS schematic more or less. Most people here have not implemented the inrush limiting or speaker protection of the original Krell. These boards are still available AFAIK from Brian, just ask him. IIRC they were about $8 when I got mine. Great for quick breadboarding and clip-lead amp construction :D
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/aleph-pcb/ps_pcb

Bob G.

Bob

I have those PCBs from BrianGT. I ordered the same day that I ordered the KSA 50 PCBs from you, and I received both sets on Tuesday.

So now I must just get my BOMs sorted. With regards to the caps; I thought I would have to use screw type smoothing caps, but as you say I can use smaller ones in parallel as per the BrianGT PCB.

I will see who can supply me with 22mF 63V caps for that board, if possible. 3 times 22mF should give me 66mF per rail per monobloc, which sounds OK.

KSA 50 PCB

I am interested in purchasing 2-4 KSA 50 PCB. I have been lurking on DIYAudio for some time, but this is my first post so I am under moderation and can not email Bob directly and have some questions:

It appears some boards are still available, can someone confirm this? Is Bob the correct contact? Do I just wait for him to see this post and respond to my request, or is there another way to ask him?
I have read through the http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Building+guideand it appears the parts list in post#4237. Is this the latest BOM for the boards listed on the Wiki? Are these the boards Bob has?

I am trying to work on getting sources for components while I wait to find out about the boards.

Thanks,
Jack

My ksa50 's progress report

i have not some transisiters(miniwatt)

Attachments

• δÃüÃû.jpg
    δÃüÃû.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 952
Purchasing 2-4 KSA 50 PCB

Ryssen, I am still in moderation since this is only my second post and can not contact you through the member list. I am interested in your PCB's.

You should be able to e-mail me directly with some details on the boards. What components are placed, what condition the boards are in, what is your asking price, payment method, etc.

If you know of another way I can contact you please share.

Thanks.
Jack

Excuse me for veering off, I just purchased recently a pair of ESLs and am about to start seriously investigating this subject and am interested what is the groups wisdom on replacing MJW1302 with 2SC5200 (don't seem to be able to get the MJW while 2SC5200 i can grab anytime, any qt)

I will also have further dumb questions later because I was stuck with a couple of small Fostex horns and a SE tube amp with EL34 for about 15 years...

Thnx in advance for any opinion or help.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have a Krell clone around the 2SC5200/2SA1943 and read Pavel's link where he attributed the Symasym oscillations to the 22uf feedback cap. I don't see the feedback cap on the Krell KSA-50 schematic. Is there one? I see the 22k resistor only.

I have had no problems with mine. My favorite amp so far. But I never hooked it to an oscilloscope to see if there are any real problems. It doesn't get too hot (monster sinks) at 680 mv (1000ma) bias setting.

Have plans (when time permits) to build a couple more with MJ21194/93 and another with the 2SC5200/2SA1943