Krell KSA 50 PCB

Troy,

Please don't be concerned about the delay. We are all getting a great deal, you are doing all the work for us and we understand that this is all completely out of your control. You are kind enough to keep us updated and that is all we can ask. I'll echo Pinkmouse's comments: I don't want to see you out of pocket in any way so if you find yourself in that situation gives us a shout and I will certainly make sure it's taken care of.

Philip

Finally I am ready to build one KrellClone for me So, I have a question - I'm looking for PCB Does anyone has a spare two PCBs and can share it with me? Thanks a lot

Sure, there are still some PCB for the KSA-50 available so ots no problem. Let me know how many you need. They are $14.00 US each plus 9.95 shipping by Priority mail(maximum of 8) and 3% PayPal fee on the total. Just drop me an e-mail.....

Mark

Hi

I have been listening to my Krell clone for some time now. Last night I switched back to my original KSA100 and became aware that the clone bass is not so fast as the KSA100. My PSU is a 25-0-25 transformer with plus minus 100.000 uf per channel.

The question now is: Do I import better mains caps - thinking of Mallory or Vishay caps from Mouser or do I go for a stronger transformer - say 30-0-30 ?

If I import high quality caps I am also thinking of getting 75/100 volt versions. Krell uses 80 volt caps. Initial estimates suggest that this exercise could easily amount to $200 in cost. My experience suggest that higher voltage capacitors always sound better than the same value in a lower voltage rating.

Any suggestions will be welcomed re what is the preferred option.

Jozua

Jozua said:
Hi

I have been listening to my Krell clone for some time now. Last night I switched back to my original KSA100 and became aware that the clone bass is not so fast as the KSA100. My PSU is a 25-0-25 transformer with plus minus 100.000 uf per channel.

The question now is: Do I import better mains caps - thinking of Mallory or Vishay caps from Mouser or do I go for a stronger transformer - say 30-0-30 ?

If I import high quality caps I am also thinking of getting 75/100 volt versions. Krell uses 80 volt caps. Initial estimates suggest that this exercise could easily amount to $200 in cost. My experience suggest that higher voltage capacitors always sound better than the same value in a lower voltage rating.

Jozua

I think you easily would see this "bass" performance enhancement by going with a larger transformer...

or do I go for a stronger transformer - say 30-0-30 ?

I think you easily would see this "bass" performance enhancement by going with a larger transformer...

A normal KSA50 channel has ~37v rails. This requires 2 secondaries at ~26v AC, or 52v center tapped. A minimal transformer for two channels would be about 400va, you'd want more for driving low impedance loads.

26VAC is still the recommended, right?

Jozua said:
Hi

Jozua

Mallorys do not necessarily have better ESR... Some Panasonics and Most Rubycons do. You might try paralelling some of those little ones before ordering big Mallories. Also going to 100v caps may not really add much value, but will probably put a big dent on your wallet.

Someone asked me about how to add an active DC offset circuit to the front end of the Krell, unfortunately i misplaced the email.

Thought this might be interesting for the ones who opt for constant current sources. Without the CCS's, the output of the opamp could connect after trimpot R105 in the Krell schematic.

Steven posted the Malcolm Hawksford based circuit on some thread.

Attachments

• active offset hawksford ccs.jpg
    active offset hawksford ccs.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 484
Hi Jozua,
I note your comment
clone bass is not so fast as the KSA100.
not that the bass was less extended nor that the bass was weak.
Could the bass of the KSA100 have a small amount of 2nd harmonic giving the impression of fast bass just like some small speakers give due to the manufacturer deliberately building in this fast bass characteristic?

If slow bass is due to this then maybe it is the KSA100 that needs modifying.

An alternative could be adding some fairly large film caps to the PSU rails and also to the decoupling on the Klone amp and driver boards? This may speed up response. A cheaper way than replacing all that capacitance and maybe worth experimenting with.

With regard to over specifying the working voltage, recent reading on reforming electrolytic capacitors I found that unused insulation resistance gradually degrades down to the actual working voltage. So does that mean your 100V caps eventually become bigger 38V caps given enough time?