Krell KSA 50 PCB

Another view.....

Attachments

• ceramic pads 007 copy.jpg
    ceramic pads 007 copy.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 582
Waiter, there is a mouse in my curry !

"THERE was a table set out under a tree in front of the house, and the March Hare and the Hatter were having tea at it: a Dormouse was sitting between them, fast asleep, and the other two were resting their elbows on it, and talking over its head. "Very uncomfortable for the Dormouse," thought Alice; "only, as it's asleep, I suppose it doesn't mind." "

Attachments

• alice25.gif
    alice25.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 522
Well, Thermalloy does list them as covering at least three types of case styles and I have founf thermalloy pretty trustworthy over the years....
Here are the specs....

Mark

Insulators
Aluminum Oxide Ceramic RoHS Compliant
Insulating Covers RoHS Compliant
Bushings RoHS Compliant
Aluminum Oxide Ceramic

Aluminum oxide insulating washers have a dielectric strength of approximately 21.7 x 103 volts/mm for .76mm material (550 volts/mil for 0.030 inch materail) and 16.9 x 103 volts/mm for 1.57mm material (430 volts/mil for 0.062 inch materail). The thermal conductivity of aluminum oxide is 15.06 W/mK at 75° (167° F) [8.71 BTU/hr-ft° F].

Aluminum oxide has unique thermal conductivity qualities and features low loss factors at high frequencies. It has high compressive strengths, high volume resistivity, low thermal expansion and it resists radiation.

Note: Hole diameters are +/- .13mm (.500"), angularity is +/- 1° and flatness is .05mm (.002") TIR unless otherwise specified.

For TO-218, TO-247, and TO-3P

Part Number 4180*

*Thickness:2.03mm +/- .25 (.080" +/- .010")

pinkmouse said:
a Dormouse was sitting between them, fast asleep

"In Britain they are protected by law and may not be killed, injured, disturbed in their nests, collected, trapped or sold except under licence."

Never cross the border, Al !

Given the level of the thermal resistance of the plastic part of a casing, an insulator size that covers the metallic section of the footprint should be sufficient.
A somewhat smaller insulator than the device it cools can be a bonus, imo.
Think of placing devices close together.
Or in case of using L-shaped brackets that hold the output devices, plenty of room for the transistor legs bending under a 90 degree angle towards the pads on the amplifier board.

Thermal grease on both sides too, when using aluminium oxides discs the grease can easily be wiped off the edges. I found using TO3 aluminium oxide insulators for Hitachi Mosfets a joy.

Project update

At last, I managed to finish the driver stages. As you can see I'm still strugeling with Jan's boards (can't let them go to waist). Next step will be the drilling of the heatsinks and figure out the layout of the complete amp. Still a long way to go :(

Regards

Attachments

• boardfinm.jpg
    boardfinm.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 559
Nice

I cannot believe you fit the Dale's onto that board! I tried but gave up and went with smaller resistors. Wow, I was mad about being unable to fit Dale resistors for about 3 days. Nice job on the board, don't know how you struggle, but to make you feel better your heatsinks are about the same size as mine and don't have the ugly hacksaw marks. Hmmm....I suspect you will get the same temp from your drivers as I got and posted previously. Don't go with the newest fad (new boards), stick with the classics! Keep it up and hope it works!

I cannot believe you fit the Dale's onto that board! I tried but gave up and went with smaller resistors.

I really don't understand why so many people had problems with the Dale's, O.K. they were a bit of a tight fit that's true. I used the RN60D types from Welborne.

Don't go with the newest fad (new boards)

Don't want to sound stupid, but what is "fad" :confused:

Cheers

GeWa said:

I really don't understand why so many people had problems with the Dale's, O.K. they were a bit of a tight fit that's true. I used the RN60D types from Welborne.

Don't want to sound stupid, but what is "fad" :confused:

Cheers

I guess if I had tried harder I could have got those to fit, makes me kind of question my diy skills.

Fad- see wikipedia definition, I was kind of joking, those new boards look nice.

GeWa-

Beautiful board so far! Great attention to detail.

All GB'ers-

I called AND emailed Welborne labs to get an estimate on when they will complete our order. Still no response from them.

I will not be using Welborne in the future. Absolutely pathetic service. And to think I WANTED to support a hi-fi company instead of Mouser and Digi-key.

I will be making a second order for Krell kits from Digi-key and Mouser after I ship out the first ones. Again it will be non-profit, and hopefully no out of pocket. I cancelled my bike trip to Kerrville, TX with MOOT to cover the extra expenses incurred on this GB. No worries, I really didn't have the time to go anyway.

Lastly, ANDYLASER-

"Are the boards for this project still available? And the same regarding the proposed component package."

Mark has boards, and at last posting he did have a few available.

I will be ordering more kits... But I still haven't gotten the first ones out... (Due to parts shortage from supplier.)

Al-

No need. The expense is minor(in the grand scheme of things). I just keep bringing it up bcause I feel sooooooo bad that I STILL haven't sent out the kits.. Welborne has let me down, and I'm the one responsible to everyone for all the kits.

I would have shot myself if I were actually charging to kit these parts!

EDIT: I do live in Texas and I do own a gun.... :clown: