Krell KSA 50 PCB

fake or Real?

wim said:
Thanks Elso, later today i will have a look at my transistors and tell the results.

I know for now that they did not deliver second cource parts, on the orderbillthey write:

2SC3955-SAN,
2SC2240-TOS
2SA970-MBR

Tiill later on

Hi Wim, What they write on the order bill is meaningless. MBR stands for multiple brand? No Toshiba for sure.:confused:
BTW can you order directly from Nedis? I was under the impression that was only a privilege for companies or OEMs?

Hi All-

I am currently getting a new quote for the PCB with two scored sections containing the output boards. So each main PCB will have the 2 associated output boards. Hopefully the cost can kept in the < $10 range.

Will let every one know shortly.

Thanks again Jan for the excellent work.

Hi Stuart-

As of now the wiki has not been created.

We are still awaiting the Gerber files for the output board. I will then get an estimate with the one main board and 2 output boards manufactured on the same PCB.

Once I have the firm price for the boards I will start accepting orders and have the PCB's made.

PS- If anyone knows how to create the wiki I would be very appreciative. I can edit it, but have not figured out how to create one yet. I will buy the creator a free set of boards if anyone is interested.

Hey Jan-

It's the holiday season and we all have a million things going on. But I think people should remain in the holiday spirit and be patient.

The boards will be delivered in January. Whether it is the first week or third week is not as important as getting a good product at a good price. Besides, I want a product that will last for a while.

As the saying goes:

1. Good quality
2. Inexpensive
3. Fast

Only 2 of those are available at a time.

Fast and inexpensive = crap
Inexpensive and good quality = time for proper engineering
Good quality and fast service = will cost a fortune

Planning the PSU of the Krell-clone i was thinking of project 15 from Rod Elliot's site (capacitance multiplier supply).

I build it earlyer for another DIY-amp, and it work fine. Is it an idee for the Krell-clone??

If not, on pictures of the original PSU of the Krell i see capacitors 70V.

If i use toroids of 30-0-30 V, then 63V capacitors are good I.M. Is that good??

wim said:
If i use toroids of 30-0-30 V, then 63V capacitors are good I.M. Is that good??

Wim,

the maximum voltage on the primary side of the transformer is allowed to be 10% higher(NL).

http://www.gpx.nl/pdf/netcode.pdf

With a 30Vac transformer the maximum will be 33 Vac.

Added is the regulation, for a 300VA toroid transformer regulation is 5%.
33 Vac + 5% = 34.65 Vac.
Top voltage + 1.41 = 49 Vac.
After the rectifier : 49 - 0.7 = 48.3 Vdc.

You can even use 50 Volt caps !

The voltage rating of capacitors have a spread too, 63 V rated caps may collapse at 60 Volts.
Usually only a small fraction is sub rating, the majority withstand higher voltage.
Apart from the safety margin, it is pressumed that an operation margin enhances durability, some disagree.
On the production side i can imagine that a designer uses a wide safety margin as voltage variations may be much larger in some countries.

Thanks Jacco, for your clear explanation. Reading your post i think i go for safety, and take 80V types.

By the way, i bought second hand 2 unused 800VA 30-0-30V toroids for this project, and i am searching for the caps now.

Again, thanks for your quick reaction.

Companies often order sample products, even transformers.
The person i bought the toroids from had ordered them with the idea of making powersupplies.
The toroids were custom wound, according to him pretty expensive.
The idea never reached a production phase, he is mainly in the telecom cable business now, he sometimes cleanes his storeroom at a friendly rate.