Krell KSA 50 PCB

Hi Guys,

I know that this thread has become mostly about the new and improved boards, but may I ask a question about the original design. I already have some MJ15003/15004's. How many of each does it use per channel? I have a new set of heatsinks from a Hafler P500 that form a tunnel and use a 4" fan. They accept 6 T-03's per heatsink, a total of 12. I'm thinking of using these with the original boards I have just purchased. Will this heatsink combination work for this? Are 12 output transistors enough for two channels?

Thanks, Terry

K-amps said:
IIRC the original used 2 15003/4 pairs per channel. Normally 2 pairs of 15003/4 are more than enough for a 200 wpc class-AB amp running 300w into 4 ohms with +/-68 vdc rails.

Well, I see on the new boards they are using three outputs per rail. Is that because they aren't T-03'S. I don't see why my heatsinks wouldn't work with just two transistors per mounting surface. What do you think?

Blessings,Terry

Terry,
with an extreme vent/heatsink combo you could do a KSA100 in full bias on 4 MJ1500* , a KSA50 will be a piece of cake.
Because of their high power capability and TO3 thermal resistance, the MJ's handle nearly twice as much heat as some TO247's.
But why not make life easy for them, if you have an extra couple ?
You live in the US, bro, behave like one !

As Mark said, with the emitter resistors values of the driver devices, you better cool those transistors properly.

pinkmouse said:
Jacco, even people we put in the sinbin get better food than that.

Oh no Gov, please not the sinbin, Gov, i'll behave !

We want Boards, we want Boards !!!!

Hi

real interesting project the Krell clone.

I have the little problem, that i can´t get the following transistors in Germany:

MJE 15033
MJE 15032
MJL21194 and
MJL21193

give it equivalente types or perhaps can anyone tel me, where i can get these in Germany as privat person ?

Thank for your help

Dirk

K-amps said:

It is my belief that they "sound" the same.... Toroids usually induce less hum and are smaller, otherwise both will "sound" the same, go ahead and get an over-rated E+I.

EI transformers are much maligned, they have an inherently narrower bandwidth than toroids and are generally electrically quieter. The major concern is the magnetic field they generate, which is where toroids are superior. You can of course buy narrow bandwith toroids, but they are ludicrously expensive. You can also add magnetic shielding to a toriod for a fee.

If you can find them in the configuration of your choice R-Core transformers are a great comprimise of bandwith and EMR.

Regards

Anthony

jacco vermeulen said:
Terry,
with an extreme vent/heatsink combo you could do a KSA100 in full bias on 4 MJ1500* , a KSA50 will be a piece of cake.
Because of their high power capability and TO3 thermal resistance, the MJ's handle nearly twice as much heat as some TO247's.
But why not make life easy for them, if you have an extra couple ?
You live in the US, bro, behave like one !

As Mark said, with the emitter resistors values of the driver devices, you better cool those transistors properly.

Hey jacco,

First of all, the heatsinks I'm talking about only accommodate 6 TO3s per channel. I'm not sure if you mean 4 MJ1500* per rail or 4 total per channel, 2 "P" and 2 "N". I have plenty of the MJ1500* to fill all 12 spots. I suspect that I would have to add some additional components for the extra two transistors. Correct?

I don't understand what you mean by "behave like one". One what? Am I asking stupid questions again? :cannotbe:

I still plan on buying the newer version boards as well. I just though that this would be a good chance to use the DH500 heatsinks. I have some large flat heatsinks for use with some TO247's. Those are planned for the newer boards.

Blessings, Terry

small_boy said:
Hi

real interesting project the Krell clone.

I have the little problem, that i can´t get the following transistors in Germany:

MJE 15033
MJE 15032
MJL21194 and
MJL21193

give it equivalente types or perhaps can anyone tel me, where i can get these in Germany as privat person ?

Thank for your help

Dirk

Hi small_boy,

Have you tried http://www.onsemi.com/?

They carry the transistors you listed. I believe they will ship to Europe.

Blessings, Terry

still4given said:
One what?

Terry,

if you have enough of the MJ15003/15004 and room on the sinks, why not use them ?
Why leave 2 horses in the barn, and have the other 4 pull the wagon.

A European will make a calculation to the last decimal, isnt it better to have a little slack?

Land of the plenty>>

Attachments

• clinton.jpg
    clinton.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 542