Krell KSA 100mkII Clone

Fix said:
PCB test mounted on Heatsink, Emitter Resistors soldered.
3200102930_b1e7eb023c_o.jpg
[/B]

What is the white once? (I have black)
I need to replace them on my original Krell KSA 100 MK2

If you are refering to the white resistors they are 1 ohm 5Watt.
The colour (color) does not matter. Having said that I know one manufacturer that crimps the wire in the resistor to the leads for white resistors and welds the wire to the leads for their black resistors. There is also an option for low inductance wire wounds.
I doudt that you can hear the difference.

Fix,
have you resolved your "heat" problem?

Harry3 said:
If you are refering to the white resistors they are 1 ohm 5Watt.
The colour (color) does not matter. Having said that I know one manufacturer that crimps the wire in the resistor to the leads for white resistors and welds the wire to the leads for their black resistors. There is also an option for low inductance wire wounds.
I doudt that you can hear the difference.

Fix,

Fix,

I've never had any real problems with heat, just that I wanted to be sure how Hot my heatsinks could get before getting critical.

When I look at the original design, I would be amazed if they have a temprature lower than 70c degress on there heatsinks. First they have limited air intake in bottom. Air outtake on top is less than mine... So it would be interesteing to measure on an original amp.

I have ~54.5c degress on my heatshinks now, and it tops ~57.5c when it's very hot outside.

Been playing +60h now without any problems.
Sometimes 5-7h at once.

I'll give it some more hours before starting to measure BIAS and DC it for final settings.

I must say the design is great, and it plays music in a most amazing details, deepbass, very open soundimage...

To lower temprature on the heatsinks, I would today make those heatsinks 13-15cm long instead of mine that are 11cm depending on how much space you have on the case.

Heatsinks come in 1m length so divided by 8 = 12.5cm
Then maybe you could get down temp by 1-3c ?

I've also read somewhere that if you Anodizing the aluminium would get better heatdispasation.. Prefered color is Black. Maybe that also could lower the temp by 1-2c ?

Coping with heat

Fix

I suggest lowering your class a bias to 70 watts in class A. I cannot hear a significant difference between the 70 and 100 watts class A bias setting.

It still winter where I am and my KSA100 is running hot but not scorching hot compared to when it was biased to 100 watts class a.

I am still looking for heatsinks like yours- if all fails I might still place a order with you.

Regards

Jozua

I've never had any real problems with heat, just that I wanted to be sure how Hot my heatsinks could get before getting critical.

When I look at the original design, I would be amazed if they have a temprature lower than 70c degress on there heatsinks. First they have limited air intake in bottom. Air outtake on top is less than mine... So it would be interesteing to measure on an original amp.

I have ~54.5c degress on my heatshinks now, and it tops ~57.5c when it's very hot outside.

I've also read somewhere that if you Anodizing the aluminium would get better heatdispasation.. Prefered color is Black. Maybe that also could lower the temp by 1-2c ?

I had the original Mk. II's a few years back. As far as the airflow goes, I could feel a gust of warm air blowing up the grill a good 40 " above the amplifier, all this with very little fan sound... seems to me airflow design was very good. I do not remember measuring the HS temps but I'd guess them to be in the mid 50's

I've played with the amp for lots of hours since last post...
So I can now say that the whole thing is stable... :)

And sound extremly good...

I now have ~53.5c and I guess this amp can get ~60c without something will break.

So this is not an issue.

It's important to have good air flow through the amp. Placement of the amp is quite important to obtain this.

When the amp got ~58c and airflow and the hotair couldn't get out the BIAS automaticly droped since the other heatsink got quite hot.

And when the BIAS droped to ~525mV from ~625mV ( due to heat ) I could hear difference in the music... The 3D and Deep warm bass disappered...
I thought it sounded crap... And I decided to measure the Bias and Temprature. That how I found out...

How everyone else doing ?
Anyone else completed the project ?

The amp ROCKS !! - And I'm very happy that I've build it..