Krell KAV 250a deader than a dodo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pinkmouse said:
I could certainly do with something that runs slightly cooler! ;)

hmm...dunno about that it was getting quite toasty when I had it on test esp. the pre-driver transistors which arn't heatsinked. Also there are 2 x TO-220 packages on TINY heatsinks on the driver board I would of used bigger heatsinks e.g, like the ones on old comp motherboards or psus. No fans either, and the 10 x TO-3 cans on each channel are very closely spaced! I am musing to what originally caused the major fault I am trying to fix.....and whether it's likely to happen again!

Cheers have a good weekend I probably won't be on here till monday doing other things .....

driver pcb update: scans complete!

Have a google at this. I'm using a mirror image of the solder side scan to complete a diagram of both layers of the board.....easier than keep flipping the board over and getting my wires crossed :scratch:

Attachments

• driver_compside_photo.jpg
    driver_compside_photo.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 761
Hi,
As far as I can see the chip is a balanced input stage, or preamp the bias section is in the next block of the circuit but I haven't started the schematic yet that's just looking at it and making assumptions....check back soon for updates should have it complete within the next couple of days.

Cheers, Jim

enjee said:
Obviously,the basic topology is NOT based on current conveyor:cannotbe: :cannotbe:
The input chip is a 4 BJTs or JFETs,I think:D

The input chip consist two NPN's and two PNP's, perfect for input current mirrors. And if a Krell's CAST topology is used, then we have the basics, no global NF only lokals, just throw in some emitter resistors. CAST connection should look like this...

Attachments

• cast connection.png
    cast connection.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 571
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.