King Rex Tech T20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hmm, nothing on the last question. perhaps it's my breath.

anyway, I went ahead and got the upgrade caps. I was all ready to install them this weekend but I couldn't get the old caps out. I was expecting to de-solder, but it didn't look like there was any solder on the connections to remove. It looks like the leads have been punched through the contacts. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well - they should be soldered! Never seen one that isn't.

The Kingrex PCB uses lead free solder, so you may need to apply a bit of heat.

If you have the 400V Auricaps, they will not fit side by side on the board - the 200V will. So the trick is to place the rear one flat (like the Bennic) and the front one staninding up on end. Be careful with the leads on the front.

The Panasonic tank caps are pretty easy to do, just be sure to double check polarity! :hot:

Thanks pan, I'll crank up the heat. I guess there really is solder in there. They do a neat job of using it sparingly. And since nothing was melting I got a little confused.

If I apply heat to the tip of the lead that is poking through, should enough heat transmit through to loosen up the connection?

I have seen a picture of the Auricaps installed (maybe at the beginning of this thread?). I plan copy.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.