KEF Reference Model Three Schematic

Update with measured inductors; need help with discrepancy

First, thanks for the schematic! Very helpful in finding the shorted cap:)

While I was at it, I measured everything else on both channels, the attached drawing shows the average value for the inductors.

HOWEVER - I get a wide (over 20%) variation on L10: 6.5 uH vs. 5.0 uH. It also shows signs of heat stress, so it looks like something is off. Anyone have another data point? Or any thoughts on which is OK? Or if they're both bad, what's the right value?

I did contact KEF in the US, and they have nothing online that they can access. They did say they'd have to search their paper files, but can't get to their offices until the pandemic eases.

Thanks much!

Attachments

• KEF RM3 sp2225 with measured inductors.jpg
    KEF RM3 sp2225 with measured inductors.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 258
6.5 uH sounds like a shorted coil if u=micro. The remedy for it is to unwind this inductor completely and install a new magnet wire of the same length and diameter. We can guess the ball park value of the inductor knowing its total wire length and former measures.

6.5 uH sounds like a shorted coil if u=micro. The remedy for it is to unwind this inductor completely and install a new magnet wire of the same length and diameter. We can guess the ball park value of the inductor knowing its total wire length and former measures.

Yes, u = micro. Thanks for the diagnosis and the suggestion on a rebuild. I was hoping to replace it with something new with a higher power rating, hopefully without too much of an impact on performance - looking to avoid a repeat failure.