Karlson

Freddi
I have an intuitive vision of a small Karlson slotted baffle in a U frame as an open baffle sitting on the K-15. That way you get the frequency balancing and dispersion benefits without the added cabinet resonance. I would try just setting the driver back an inch or two and not slant it back.
I just kind of see these designs and then build prototypes. Remarkably they usually work, tweaking notwithstanding.
- much appreciated - - do you think cardboard would suffice for the baffle? I bet there's cheap drivers which would work work such as some from Electro Maven's -bay store.

yeah - a swiveling K-tube would be good. Hey Suntiger - if you have time give me a quote to make the following little K-type cabinet.

Ideally -I'd like 1/2" BB from Menard's but Home Deot plywood would do. I'm guessing the shelf vent spec-ed by XRK971 as 10" in length could be cut 20%. IT would be good to have a removable back for real tuning via frequency response and Z. Also someone might investigate whether a K-slot shelf vent at the top of a K can smooth response (Nexo's patent).

(I have a table saw at my house but due to health and logistic factors - can't get to use it anymore.)

Does the front cavity shape look ok to you? 206__ make good K-drivers - perhaps a blh-hybird would be interesting for someone. I'm happy with small speakers and a sub.

Attachments

• FE206EN XKI 2023.jpg
    FE206EN XKI 2023.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 123
I have just one 206 - pair of 1772 but like 206 better for Karlson. Aperture upper gap, etc. can contribute to how a K's sound-field is heard - but most of the time does not show in measurements.

Have you experimented with "tighter" apertures than Karlson's traditional ones? That worked well I thought on a K18 and with a little tweeter. I don't know if there's a cone tweeter which would keep up with PRV's 10FR300 or the Fane 12 FR (?)

sometimes a faster opening is helpful - it may tune a bit higher
1673448081114.png

Last edited:
one problem with sim - how to estimate how strong the cavity peak might be? Does a slot vent at the top of a Karlson type mitigate some of the peak? I know a cavity placed directly above that vent "can" and also adds to the effective front chamber volume.

Look at this simplified bandpass sim of the proposed FE206EN XKi

Attachments

• CAVITY PEAK PROPOSED FE206EN XKI.png
    CAVITY PEAK PROPOSED FE206EN XKI.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 84
  • FM2 DAMPED STUB.jpg
    FM2 DAMPED STUB.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 77
FWIW a somewhat cubical 15" K-type might be fun for a midbass module - or bass guitar box. The aperture and back panels 3/4" plywood, all other panels 1/2" plywood.

20 inch height would be good. I don't know if the height could be reduced enough to use Menard's Baltic birch 1/2" or not. (maybe)

Karlson based 2.1 and boombox seem a great way to have fun. I'm pretty happy with the little K3.5 -3FE25 satellites and Kube12/Kappa12a run off a $40 Kinter 3118 3 channel amplifier (4 channel I think with two channels in parallel for the bass). The crossover on the sub is spec-ed @180Hz. At ow levels the bass can be turned up as a loudness control.

Hey Suntiger - what size satellite for a 2.1 K system would you consider for an impressive presentation? - on YouTube and Steve Maxwell's drum channel the little 3.5 plus Kube 12 are pretty good. I think in some cases a K6 or K8 of sorts could de4liver punch if the crossover isn't too low to the point 1 speaker,

It would be fun to pit some little K up against horn systems - cheap solid state power for the K vs fancylad tube for the horn

Attachments

• KUBE 15 PLAN AND SIM W. M151.jpg
    KUBE 15 PLAN AND SIM W. M151.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 88
  • KUBE 15 PLAN DONE.jpg
    KUBE 15 PLAN DONE.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 79
  • KUBE15 SUM.jpg
    KUBE15 SUM.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: 1 user
here's a bit towards the end of the HiFi Workbench show where Karlson and Guss opine on the subject of low efficiency speakers vs high efficiency speakers and the terms flat. vs colored. Also, Karlson announces the introduction of the AP9C Ceiling speaker and its use in restaurants, etc.. to provide wide coverage stereo.

(Hey Suntiger - have you had time to make a quote on the 206 size XKi?)

Hi Suntiger

I think that's a good thing to try - especially with higher Q midrange drivers..

How does one bast damp the rear chambers in small series vented Karlson type? - as in how much damping materiial and its best placement. Klam projector with sealed rear chamber benefit from stuffing the rear chamber. Dealing with klam front chamber reflections might be something to include in a general discussion.

Vintage Karlson such as X15 have been seen with their rear chamber sidewalls damped with Kimnsul pads. Perhaps that reduces the depth of a notch related to the width dimension. (?)

K15 (debuted 1952) used 3 pads - one at the top one at the bottom and one under the rear shelf / lowpass choke.

another question for Suntiger - is the rectangular opening on your K15- Jensen Imperial hybrid for ease of access to the rear of the speaker?

Might one employ your BLH - K hybrid successfully in smaller enclosures? - Moray James used 1/4 wave rear tunnels with Fostex and other small fullrange speakers. (I have only used the bandpass arrangement.)

How does the angled baffle merge with the horn below ? Is the front chamber about the same "volume" as that of K15?
1675866924506.png

- wonder how this 10" would do in a little 2-way K with internal K-tube? - with the crazy inflated prices I can't stand to look at Eminence anymore. I had good sound from the old Eminence B102 in K12 - and also liked Kappa 12A/ PYM1298 "Pyle" as could absorb ~200 watt peaks with only 1/4" p-p movement on drums.

This is ~$120 - a 2.5" coil -might make it to 1K6 ?

I have a pair of oddball Eminence 10" which aren't in their database - they are made with threaded magnet plate for a compression driver - but lack the little "horn" - they would be perfect to add a co-ax K-tube to create a "Ko-ax" Their magnet - 80oz ! -I've seen and have cool Eminence custom stuff.

1675870774830.png

driver

Last edited:
I see one problem with that driver - its made like some Eminence monitor speakers with only 3mm difference between top plate thickness and coil height so excursions beyond 1.5mm start to compress - Xmax at 70% BL ~4.5mm. It still might be a good performer,
I wish Eminence made a 12" fullrange with 80oz magnet ;^0

Hi Suntiger

I think that's a good thing to try - especially with higher Q midrange drivers..

How does one bast damp the rear chambers in small series vented Karlson type? - as in how much damping materiial and its best placement. Klam projector with sealed rear chamber benefit from stuffing the rear chamber. Dealing with klam front chamber reflections might be something to include in a general discussion.

Vintage Karlson such as X15 have been seen with their rear chamber sidewalls damped with Kimnsul pads. Perhaps that reduces the depth of a notch related to the width dimension. (?)

K15 (debuted 1952) used 3 pads - one at the top one at the bottom and one under the rear shelf / lowpass choke.
Particularly with the smaller (K-12) enclosure I have had the best results with loosely stuffing the rear cavity and using five 1/8" horizontal slots as vents above the woofer. I had no shelf.

another question for Suntiger - is the rectangular opening on your K15- Jensen Imperial hybrid for ease of access to the rear of the speaker?

Might one employ your BLH - K hybrid successfully in smaller enclosures? - Moray James used 1/4 wave rear tunnels with Fostex and other small fullrange speakers. (I have only used the bandpass arrangement.)

How does the angled baffle merge with the horn below ? Is the front chamber about the same "volume" as that of K15?
View attachment 1140237
Yes, the opening is for access. The pictures show the enclosure without the baffle and vertical lower front plate. They enclose the front of the compression chamber, see video. The design might respond in a smaller version but I haven't tried it. A good full range with extended low end would certainly help.

Attachments

• VID_20230208_114743285.mp4
    17.7 MB
would you have an impedance plot of your K15-Imperial cabinet? I think K15's front chamber tunes ~110-120Hz.. (? see attached )

I bet that cabinet / AN15 sounds fabulous on bowed bass such as Gary Karr's "The Spirit of Koussevitzky" CD - my lone 604 was beautiful on that album and I most highly recommend it

Attachments

• K15 FRONT CHAMBER RESONANCE.jpg
    K15 FRONT CHAMBER RESONANCE.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited: