Karlson

I don't know about modeling turbulence...

Another adjustment to make to the Karlson boxes would be to reduce the movement of some of the box's panels, particularly the back panel and the wings. Those are the least dampened panels which can store energy, dampening the impulse response and releasing the energy slightly later - increasing the speaker's distortion.

Retsel

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I asked a question in another thread some time ago.
I asked a question about the field coil speaker.
the reason was to understand if it is possible to use it in an experimental way (simply adjusting the supply voltage) to find the parameters needed to make it work well inside the Karlson casing.
this is because after much reading I understood that it is not easy to find the right driver for Karlson, it is true that there are simulators like hornresp but it is not the same thing to use software and test the transducer directly on the cabinet.
I limited myself to asking only about QTS but it is clear that there are other parameters to take into consideration. I'm clueless as to whether I can find a cheap old field coil speaker on the used market. what are you saying ?

I think that a field coil speaker in the Karlson cabinet is a great idea to provide a level of flexibility for altering the speaker's frequency response. Another way to do that would be to change what amp you are using. A higher output impedance amp would lower the system Q and reduce any tipped up response. I use EVM15L drivers which are low Q drivers and I end up with a frequency peak at 300 hz. I did not seem that have that problem with class AB sand amps, but the Hypex Ncore amps I use now seems to make the problem worse, - I like the increased transparency of the class D amps. I think that drivers with a Q of 0.3 might be best with the Karlson boxes.

I am considering building a new set of Karlson speaker boxes where I could adjust various components of the speakers, such as the shape and size of the opening of the back and front shelves of the speaker, and the shape and size of the opening between the back and front chamber of the speaker cabinets. I could then see how varying the various box parameters would affect the frequency response. A guy using the moniker xrk971 developed a detailed AkAbak model of the Karlson speaker which would be great for testing different speaker parameters.

Of course, you can always adjust the speaker output using crossover adjustments (although it is "better" to have the ideal speaker driver with the boxes to avoid additional complexity and reduced transparency of passive crossover components. Also, how you position the Karlson boxes in the room will affect bass response due to room modes.

Retsel

I'm clueless as to whether I can find a cheap old field coil speaker on the used market
For some reason, everyone wants the big bucks for these. There must be some audio stigma attached and I dont think it's because you can vary the FC current and hence change Qts or "the motor strength" to tune it to a particular application.

Perhaps static magnetic fields arent the same, just like conductors / capacitors arent the same when it comes to Audio.

I dunno - for all I know when the VC pushes against the magnet, that magnet's flux crushes some, just like the B+ in a tube amp collapses some with power - and that imparts a sound. The amount and behavior of the flux crush between the various types of permanent magnet and - certainly - the field coil magnet are all different and, toeing into the realm of the unchallenge-able, people say they can hear a difference.

I've yet to see a DIY where someone bashes out the ceramic, re-aligns the pole piece on a winding former and proceeds to wind their own FC. Maybe I just havent been around where that's actually happening.

Well, in my time it was plus there's no thermal power distortion with increasing power, ergo follows the signal much closer than an AlNiCo and in another league compared to traditional 'mud' motors; especially nowadays with much wider BW dynamic headroom with Class A/B amps the traditional compromise and now plus Neo motors in recent years.

Maybe one day I will be able to get hold of a low priced field coil speaker.
waiting for that day, I'm very curious and I can't help myself from asking this other very important question: in addition to the QTS value, what are the other parameters that can be adjusted with field coils and which of them are important for Karlson?.
in my opinion it is essential to understand if changing the small-thiele parameters through voltage regulation is exactly what Karlson likes, I'll give a random example:
I don't know if with the regulation of the magnetic field intensity, all the thiele-small parameters increase or decrease all together depending on the voltage regulation. maybe karlson needs one parameter to increase and the other to decrease.
I hope I have explained myself.

@Retsel - - a silly thing to try - take a standard mailing envelope - or stiff piece of paper that size - poke it as an inverted "U" at the top front slot area - I think that will tune the front chamber a bit lower - whether that would help with your 300Hz peak = ?

The first few inches of slot have a large influence on how K "sound"- at least up close. I'm not sure if it would even show on a mic. So when yhou re building a new K-type- experiment with the wings starting gap and flare.

On my little Kappa 12A "KUBE12" bandpass box, a large portion of the aperture is a rectangular diffraction slot.

@Retsel

300hz bump could be tuned down easily with any EQ available that offers that frequency on smartfone or one like Behringer 1502 solid state EQ.

If not, many rooms have a dip at around 200hz and some dB more in that region of a speaker fills that up.

Try a far field measurement if the 300hz bump is really a problem.

I like the Karlsson type enclosure it certainly has its timeless merits.

In my eyes these are: placement of the driver close to floor and/or backside giving horn like room coupling. And nice acoustical lense making horizontal dispersion better.

A bump in the response only means more efficiency at that frequency - a passive LCR filter could linearize, too.

yeah - Retsel could use RTA, a "parallel" (LCR elements are in parallel with each other) filter in series with his EV 15L and dial out that bump.

My 41.5" tall K18 sounded very nice on vocals- measured well too other than one sidewalls dip. I don't like its aesthetics and think if built again would 36" tall by 22-24" wide by 16 inches deep.

With new builds a damping stub such as Ken Lehman used could smooth response and soak up "echo".

btw, I don't think there have been any 15 inch driver Karlsonator other than one made by Toopy. That would be an interesting K-project. Karlsonator 12 as drawn by GregB is tuned to 37Hz. Karlsonator 8 tunes ~41Hz - I think that's too low for some 8 inch drivers. A Karlsonator 10 could be interesting and tune perhaps around 50-55Hz ?

would anyone here like to give useful input on making a new klam? (comments like "burn it" - "fill the front with cement" are not useful - lol- well - "maybe")

I think the last klam12 turned out ok -quite heavy and I've just about lost use of both of my arms. - need to put it back into my world- a klam15 was pretty good. Klam8 and a klam10 - too many intense reflections. The late Marty Poppe insisted on having some open "nose" area. I'd like to keep a new klam12 length and size about like Karlson's K12. System resonance on the klam12 below (left) was near 100Hz as the 12CX had free air resonance around 70Hz and a decent motor. (80oz magnet - 2.5" edge-wound coil).

I have an old Eminence C12CX - with 80oz magnet and protruding horn which would go into the klam. ("clam" as in the Jess Oliver "Magna-Clam" - same as Karlson's AP100)

1713376155633.jpeg

Attachments

• PHASE 3 PROJECTOR PAIR 1080.png
    PHASE 3 PROJECTOR PAIR 1080.png
    541.1 KB · Views: 14