Karlson

Karlson's originals were series vented - KR5 (Rocket), APX/Oliver Phase III, AP100 15" woofer and K-tube. There is a plan for a 12 foot klam with IB containment of the back wave. Carl has talked about something he calls a bandpass beater - a klam with two drivers and series venting. Carl's kid made a 10" passive radiator K-sub many years ago.

the little Klam in the middle was the subwoofer - had 2-10" in isobarik plus a diy passive radiator

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
hey doc - have you put your klam up high yet? - a lot of times they were mounted to the ceiling. - just don't drop it! (I had one drop off a porch rail)

I think a pair of the 10" klams were used for Karlson's stereo feeding for a crowd of 5000 people
POWERPROJECTOR.jpg

Last edited:
Does rounding the slot matter at the top? I mean, where its deeper than narrow.
Are we seeing a rounded T-Molding in the Oliver's advertising flyer?

I would usually widen the top of the slot to taste, but maybe I am correcting for
this minor problem of geometry in the wrong way?

Last edited:
that's an interesting orientation of the K-tube's slot. For fullrange helper tweeters, I wonder how short a tube can be made and effective? - did you ever see the mini-klam tweeter lens made by Alan Weiss? - it could be something for comparisons.

Alan Weiss klam-lens for Eminence compression driver - it was used in a two-way 8" satellite and a 3-way theater speaker
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here's mine in paper

Last edited:
Does photo show orientation?

That is one of the arrangements I tried and I quite like how well it projects the sound stage to match my Klams.

The photo shows the tube tilted up. Did you run it like this? I have my tubes centred at ear level they are parallel to the floor. The tubes are at the corners of an equilateral triangle that from the listening position you are looking straight down the barrel of the tube. the orientation of the slot is like you have them in your photo they are cross firing. This is it best configuration I have found so far.
best regards Moray James.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was going down this path and built a model of a Karlson vs a DCR with the same driver and tuned for the same freq. The Karlson is unique and very different in behavior and has an efficiency and ability to throw a flat bass shelf (60 Hz to 150 Hz) very far. It can't reach below 60 Hz but the bass it has is much more efficient that what a DCR has, which sends it bass through two relatively small ports compared to the very large K-aperture.