Just picked up these DIY Wilmslow 3-Ways of flea bay... sound awful, help please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Could you tell me more on this?

I always prefer the gentle approach ;) and preferably with a minimum of effort :D ... and it always ends with some kind of 12db variation

I use this xo is for my bass guitar speaker

Attachments

• BASS 3way new xo no pic.png
    BASS 3way new xo no pic.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 152
The sound quality of the mid is still bothering me, the dome sounds great but getting it to integrate with the rest of the speaker is a nightmare (i.e. sounds great on it's own but less good when connected with the woofer/tweeter). I should point out that it still isn't sealed, and it only has one screw holding it to the baffle, as the person who build these was incapable of drilling more than one hole with any accuracy (!)

You really must chamber the mid before doing anything else. Otherwise it's acting as a passive radiator for the woofer, which will drive the mid's coil outside of its Xmax and make it sound incredibly bad, if not damage it. And of course you lose any acoustic support to the mid that the chamber might provide.

Really looks sealed by this.....
Really couldn't hurt by enclosing it with 2-3 Liters worth. If it does have a pole-piece vent hole beneath that felt !@#$ , no wonder! All that pressure setting the dome in motion!

______________________________________________________Rick...........

Attachments

• d75mx31-mid-b-500.jpg
    d75mx31-mid-b-500.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 148
  • VIFA BACK.jpg
    VIFA BACK.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I should probably mention, an additional project of mine at the moment is a 4-channel power amp, which would be pretty ideal to driver these speakers... is there such a thing as a 'cheap' high fidelity digital crossover? The plan would be to run the tweeter and mid from one amp and bass from another, I'm also thinking this on the basis it will definately improve overall sound quality, any of you who disagree please let me know and advise!

thanks

... Ok, so I can only find the sealed seas chamber in the US, and the cost of delivery (about $40) means they're not gonna happen, I'm currently thinking to use a 2 litre soda bottle as a former to build my own chamber unit, just wondered if anyone had any suggestion of how best to do it? (i.e. what material to use, if I should keep the plastic bottle or just use it as a mold etc) or even if there's a simpler way to make a 1.7 litre chamber...

I'm currently thinking to use a 2 litre soda bottle as a former to build my own chamber unit, just wondered if anyone had any suggestion of how best to do it? (i.e. what material to use, if I should keep the plastic bottle or just use it as a mold etc) or even if there's a simpler way to make a 1.7 litre chamber...
Plastic bottle is too thin, it will flex by woofer action and pump air inside the dome midrange. Use thick plastic flower pot instead (do not forget to seal the bottom hole!).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.