Just another Monty Python argument....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Traderbam,

No problemo.... You should have seen my wife's reaction when I showed her that ad for 'Librarian in a Box', an early text indexing program from the mid 70s.

It has been interesting as to what Mikek chose to acknowledge from this exchange. I don't think I've ever seen this level of Narcissism in an adult.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
pmkap said:

I don't think I've ever seen this level of Narcissism in an adult.

nothing wrong with Narcissism if you can back it up........i am sure fred would say....:clown: ....

....i am still waiting for your views...backed up with proof..on two-pole versus single pole compensation...which is the subject being debated here......NIL!:rolleyes:

Humour is wasted on the humourless........

Traderbam:

We got the joke. Sublime as it might have been.

Looks like I am not the only person here who has grown tired of mikey's cheesy act.

Oh....wait....I don't understand a damn thing. That's my problem! Thanks for telling me, pal. I had no clue how dense I really was.

We all bow down to your greatness.

But anyway....as Mr T. would say (sans gratuitous image previously posted):

"Shut up, fool."

Jocko

Shattered Illusions...

..It is relatively easy to gain many years 'experiance' building solid state electronic projects that function after a fashion, without having much in-depth understanding of their workings...This, it would appear, is your lot....

Jocko, have you really been deluding us all this time ?.
Didn't Phred teach you anything (or visa-versa) !.
I guess we'll just have to look for another mentor now.

Eric.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Subjective Evaluation....

mrfeedback said:

Ok Mike, in what terms is two pole compensation better than single pole ?.

better psrr over wider frequency range....lower noise....better tHd+n extended over wider frequency range...lower so-called SID...'cause foward path error is reduced across audio band.....

.....this is because current demands of 2-pole network on diff. stage are greater than an order of magnitude smaller than those of single pole....

mrfeedback said:

Does this two pole technique make for a better sounding amplifier with a range of speakers and speaker cables ?

......makes for a technically better amp. than one with single pole compensation, all other factors being equal.

Mike,

I'd still be delighted to see the PROOF you mentioned is everywhere w.r.t. listening tests and the fallability of the human ear.

Don't forget to provide details of how one can prove something (which by definition requires an objective measurement or formulaic definition) by using a subjective result (listening test).

I somehow seem to have failed to grasp this aspect of scientific endeavour.

Andy.

It would appear that an amp with 'technical' superiority is not quite the same as an amp that 'sounds' better, according to that most untrustworthy, fallacious and unrealiable instrument, the human ear. Hmmm.

It seems Mikek is fully committed to the 'objective' school, with seemingly no regard at all for listening tests.

All this in complete, yea spectacular, contradiction of the economic realities. People buy an amp largely on how it sounds with their favorite music. Sure, some buy on specs, a few more on appearance, but most on price, and mixed in with all of these motives, how it sounds.

Can anyone here see where this is going? It seems onanistic, in an absurdly repetitive way. The favorable comment about 'justified' narcicism really took me by surprise. Mike has his view, most of us have ours, and that's it. Quad est bloody demonstratum.

In the absence of hard data this all seems fruitless, and I sincerely hope some kind moderator puts this thread out of its misery........

Cheers,

Hugh

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
AKSA said:
It would appear that an amp with 'technical' superiority is not quite the same as an amp that 'sounds' better, according to that most untrustworthy, fallacious and unrealiable instrument, the human ear. Hmmm.

It seems Mikek is fully committed to the 'objective' school, with seemingly no regard at all for listening tests.

All this in complete, yea spectacular, contradiction of the economic realities. People buy an amp largely on how it sounds with their favorite music. Sure, some buy on specs, a few more on appearance, but most on price, and mixed in with all of these motives, how it sounds.

Can anyone here see where this is going? It seems onanistic, in an absurdly repetitive way. The favorable comment about 'justified' narcicism really took me by surprise. Mike has his view, most of us have ours, and that's it. Quad est bloody demonstratum.

In the absence of hard data this all seems fruitless, and I sincerely hope some kind moderator puts this thread out of its misery........

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA said:

A question: explain, if you will, why a second order compensation scheme is so much better. I've tried it, and can't see benefits.

Cheers,

Hugh

Mikeks answer:

if i knew the particulars of the system to which you applied the worthy, and the manner in which it was applied, i would be better placed to opine on your misfortune.

...have nice daypeople...:).....i am shattered!!

OH...ALW...i will present list of proof when get time...obviousl you are trying to restart the blind listening tests thread in disguise....that would be an awful waste o time...however much proof je t'presente, you will never...ever be satisfied.....like religion...you see...this subjectivist thing, (as opposed to christianity...which is rational..;) )cheerio!

On the contrary i have great faith in listening tests........of the rigorously controlled blind variety....and nothing but.....period

Could you describe the procedure for one of these to us, please Mike.

All the ones I've seen have been fundamentally flawed, for the reason above (i.e. you can't prove objective criteria by subjective measurement).

Andy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Subjective Evaluation....

mrfeedback said:

The Leach amplifier (a variant that I have heard) is spectacularly load independent, and does not get confused or fussy in the manner that many high feedback amplifiers do.

Eric.

Actually, it can be shown...from first principals, that the Leach amp. in its published form cannot to any degree of exactitude, be described as 'spectacularly load independent'......

.....I trust this view wasn't arrived at 'subjectively'?...:scratch2:......but i digress...

...such a discription should in my humble opinion be reserved for amps. with a sufficiently robust supply, and enough power semiconductors to comfortably drive, (without invoking protection), a 4 ohm, 60 degree load, (at least!), to clip, at any frequency....

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
mrfeedback said:
Mike, I assume your better measured figures are of sinewaves into a resistive load - is this correct ?.

......are you serious?...surely you are not after all confessing ignorance in respect of how THD+N, and IMD are measured?

...you can be sure i did not use my ears...to do THD+N...:)

mrfeedback said:

Do you have a sonic opinion of your amp into real loads ?.

......'sonic'??? Please!

....It will comfortably drive, (without invoking protection), a 4 ohm, +/-60 degree load, (at least!), to rated output, at any frequency....at low THD+N.....:rolleyes:

mrfeedback said:

What advantages or disadvantages ?.

Eric.

At the price? None.

At any rate, i try not to design amps. with handicaps.
:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Subjective Evaluation....

Eric said:

The Leach amplifier (a variant that I have heard) is spectacularly load independent, and does not get confused or fussy in the manner that many high feedback amplifiers do.

Eric.

Actually, it can be shown...from first principals, that the Leach amp. in its published form cannot to any degree of exactitude, be described as 'spectacularly load independent'......

.....I trust this view wasn't arrived at 'subjectively'?...:scratch2:......but i digress...

...such a discription should in my humble opinion be reserved for amps. with a sufficiently robust supply, and enough power semiconductors to comfortably drive, (without invoking protection), a 4 ohm, +/-60 degree load, (at least!), to clip, at any frequency....

I trust you are now satiated?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.