Just another Monty Python argument....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mike,

May I inquire, with no disrespect intended, why you go on so and clearly enjoy insulting people? What purpose? Do you prefer to make enemies than friends?

You have a good mind, why waste it with abuse and invective? You have been well educated, it seems, why not show some classical wisdom to balance it?

Now, please, get back to discussing what we are here for, improve the S/N ratio!

A question: explain, if you will, why a second order compensation scheme is so much better. I've tried it, and can't see benefits.

Cheers,

Hugh

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Slew rate etc

AKSA said:
Mike,

May I inquire, with no disrespect intended, why you go on so and clearly enjoy insulting people? What purpose? Do you prefer to make enemies than friends?

You have a good mind, why waste it with abuse and invective? You have been well educated, it seems, why not show some classical wisdom to balance it?

No Hugh.....i do not 'enjoy' insulting people.......

i just run out of patience with Mr Dieckmann, who confesses on the one hand that he is ignorant of the fact that the first two stages of an amplifier can be run in class-AB.......,

....and then proceedes, without flinching or blushing, to pour scorn on the source, (yours truly!), of his enlightenment on the subject.......ditto....traderbum.

It was for such as he that the word 'stupid' was invented...wouldn't you agree? :)

AKSA said:

A question: explain, if you will, why a second order compensation scheme is so much better. I've tried it, and can't see benefits.

Cheers,

Hugh

if i knew the particulars of the system to which you applied the worthy, and the manner in which it was applied, i would be better placed to opine on your misfortune.

peranders said:

Interesting, I'm wonder if they have permission from Analog Devices because the design is proteced by a patent 5097223
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=5097223&OS=5097223&RS=5097223
attachment.php

I beg to differ.....Alexander=current feedback.

marantz, & MCP=voltage feedback.

not all voltage feed back.........

http://www.ampslab.com/bi300schema.htm

For the Bi300 R8 and R9 form a current feedback loop from the output of the amp (R18 and R19 node for reference) to the output pin of the op amp IC1. The output of the op amp is a low impedance in the open loop and closed loop and the current through R9 from amp output to op amp constitutes current feedback. This in addition to the voltage feedback loop of R10 R11 and R12 and the associated capacitors.

So it actually does have current feedback as well as voltage feedback.

http://www.intersil.com/data/an/AN9787.pdf

This ap notes is pretty basic and references some more detailed ap notes at the end.

Interestingly Mikek has tried it it seems, it offers measurable benefits too, according to him, but absolutely no change in sound quality :eek:

One wonders if Mikek has any understanding of the raison d'etre for producing HiFi amplifiers :bawling:

I mean, why bother if you can't hear the difference, short of some kind of engineering one-upmanship or something to add to the sales brochure. The only other reason I can think of is that the amp is so bad in other areas that it's performance is dominated by other errors that render the measurable improvements unheard.

It's quite reassuring actually, at least I now know that anything Mike posts with regards to amplifiers is unlikely to be of any use to me in my goals to produce better music at home.

Andy.

P.S. Mike, let us know who makes this wonderful amp, so we can all get a demo and hear for ourselves.

unless of course you can 'hear' the difference between program with 100ppm, and program with 10ppm THD+N at 20KHz......

To be honest I WOULD expect to hear it.

Anyway, that's not the point, the point is why bother if you can' t hear it - the goal for HiFi amplifiers is to make them SOUND better, by your own admission you have failed in this goal.

Second question - who makes this wonder amp, so I can get a dem?

Andy.

Re: Try again

ALW said:
Mikek,

Stop trying to distract from the questions: -

1. Why bother to do something if you can't hear the improvement?

2. What is the make / model of the amp so we can judge for ourselves?

Andy.
This was a long thread. What was the issue really?

Andy, item 1: If you like the design process alone, I would go for doing something with small advantage. But you're right, why doing something if you don't get any results?

If you like the design process alone, I would go for doing something with small advantage.

In a commercial environment, which Mikek now claims to be working within, any design input (which by definition has a cost) has to have a tangible benefit in the final product, to therfore provide a perceived benefit over the competition.

In audio those benefits, in terms of circuitry, rather than aesthetic / mechanical design, ultimately have to be sonic benefits. Products are compared sonically by anyone who cares about music, since that's the only result that matters.

If Mike's amp doesn't sound any better for the the extra design input, one has to wonder why he keeps pushing the approach so heavily.

We're talking commercial reality here, not you and I experimenting on a bench for the fun of it ;)

Andy.

Jocko Homo said:
Yeah, I think that I missed the point, too.

Amps with gain in the output stage are a pain to stabilize. And most people know better than to make one. So what is the point?

Unless the point is that anything Prof. Cherry does is either impractical or just plain stupid.

Or both.

Jocko
I have now read the attached files and I am equally confused as Jocko. What is the big question or statement?

Is slew rate limiting normally a problem these days? Don't think so.

Mark your calendars......

PerAnders and I are in agreement on several items today. Maybe we should give the good professor a "DIY tip-of-the-hat" to unifying so many of many of us who usually are on oppostie sides of the discussion. (Like the ones on gate dampers......)

We can all have a big group hug in the SinBin. Which is where this pompous rambling is heading.

So, professor.....we are going to ask again:

Just what is the point of this thread?

If it is to impress those of us who have built electronics for many years, well.......hate to tell you........we ain't impressed.

If it is to impress the newbies, sorry, I'm afraid you have failed there as they have no idea what the hell you are going on about. (Most of the rest of us included.)

OK......so now that you have made big coming out.....and we are all sooooooooo impressed, why don't you drop the pretentious, pompous posturing, and talk like a regular bloke.

Jocko

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Try again

ALW said:

P.S. Mike, let us know who makes this wonderful amp, so we can all get a demo and hear for ourselves.

ALW said:

Second question - who makes this wonder amp, so I can get a dem?

Andy.

ALW said:
Mikek,

2. What is the make / model of the amp so we can judge for ourselves?

Andy.

Surely you know better than that.....:rolleyes:.........have a firms product unfairly exposed to subjectivist and perforce, jaundiced and manifestly bogus 'scrutiny' thus???Never!:rolleyes:

Hey ALW,
You won't get an answer out of Mikek. Either because he's making it up OR because the company he is working for (if this yarn is true) has sworn him to secrecy. It wouldn't do their image much good for customers to know they get design advice from a librarian! :cheeky:

Hey Traderbam,

I’d appreciate it if you’d cease your denigration of the Librarian profession. A real Librarian is someone who has received a specific masters level education beyond the baccalaureate.
A competent librarian would never refer to an article without providing the article itself, or if there were copyright issues, the relevant subset under the ‘fair use’ provisos of national and international copyright laws.
You might feel free to take potshots at someone with this patently unfair characterization, but it only reflects your own lack of understanding. Certainly, like many other professions, the Librarian profession attracts their fair share of eccentrics, and I’m sorry if someone you assumed was a librarian scarred your youthful psyche…..
My wife is a research librarian and is a consummate professional.

Dittos......

A buddy of mine is the bigwig at UCLA's Library School. She would kick my butt if I said something like that.

Well.....she would try........[joke].

No, I suspect that "our buddy" is a frustrated librarian wanna-be. Just as he appears to be a frustrated high-end designer wanna-be.

Which is a disservice to both professions.

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.