• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ju-Jutsu: The Ultimate Monoblock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember recording studio in Irkutsk, Siberia, in 1974. It was made as an anechoic chamber, all walls and ceiling perforated, with 2 inch thick carpet on the floor. When ladies coming from the room behind the thick aquarium glass touched microphones they carefully touched microphone stands before by fists to discharge static electricity. That carpets generated it. :D

It was all nice, strict and clean, like in IC laboratory. :D

I remember recording studio in Irkutsk, Siberia, in 1974. It was made as an anechoic chamber, all walls and ceiling perforated, with 2 inch thick carpet on the floor. When ladies coming from the room behind the thick aquarium glass touched microphones they carefully touched microphone stands before by fists to discharge static electricity. That carpets generated it. :D

It was all nice, strict and clean, like in IC laboratory. :D

This has its advantages and its disadvantages.

Somehow I think you may have missed out on the 70s just a little....

American Recording Studio...

article-0-0204C1AA0000044D-695_468x469.jpg

Russian Recording Studio:

0_6db69_42672570_XL-530x298.jpg

:D :D :D

That lady in Russian recording studio is watching for American guitarists approaching high over horizon after a dope. :D

I remember a story, when one Russian soldier drew soldiers on a wall prepared to fight. Their faces were of Beatles. The guy looking like Paul was holding Kalashnikov machine-gun in left hand. The guy who saw them served in 1980'th, but that picture was way older. :D

Last edited:
Pyramid-VII-M-1.gif

I have to admit I really like the subdued strip-bar lighting effect here.

Makes both amps and girls look a lot sexier and attractive, especially after a few beers.

I'm liking the 'fridge drawer' effect, with the combination of aluminum trim and fine grill stock for the platform.

I'm jealous of those 'cold indicator' tubes.
What exactly does the circuit do with them?
Do they flash with the music, as VU meters?

Your preamp seems complex. Is that a tube-splitter?

The most tasteful and understated logo is a plus.
Simple sans-serif thin and widely spaced, quite nice for an ad.
Its clear the maker is not hiding this flagship model.

The mirror back is graceful.

He replied that a great deal of his music would be heard on an 8 track player in a car, and he wanted to hear his mix like the final listener would. .
Younguns here won't know what you are talking about:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But 8-tracks in somebody's /66 Chev were just about all the music we heard
apart from records played on dad's stereo,
or trebly and shrill ethereal 'motown' coming over transistor radios at the beach.

My buddy's first car had an 8-track,
which caused us to spend hours sitting in it, summer or winter.

That was when a box of 8-track cassettes took up as much room as your girlfriend did in the passenger-side.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

By the way, look at the playlist in this photo above!

Let's see Foreigner X 4, Boston X 2, Foghat X 2, Fleetwood Mac, Styx, Kansas, Doobie Bros.....Sounds a lot like my 8 track collection. Add Moody Blues X 5 or 6, keep the Cheech And Chong.....Substitute Firesign Theater. They catered to a smarter class of stoners:)

Many of the second and third rate studios I visited were operating on pot, cocaine and acid. A mirror with lines on the edge of the console....common. On the other side of the glass....anything goes. Often there was a 2 track running at 3 3/4 all the time just so we could go back and eavesdrop....or snatch an unreleased song for out friends at school. Criteria was a bit different. At least the drugs were not so obvious since it wasn't just a rock studio.

I'm jealous of those 'cold indicator' tubes.
What exactly does the circuit do with them?
Do they flash with the music, as VU meters?

Yes, they flash with the music, as VU meters. But it is not the only indicator: as soon as the amp hits 80W per channel optical compressor engages and bright red light flashes crying: "Hey, pull down the fader!" :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
There are some prominent stoners in this forum Naz, they won't say but they are. It's not against the forum rules, I believe. You just have to get used to being deleted now and then. No biggie. One thing I'd recommend though - don't quote in vain. If I'm talking about mirrors don't reply me about colors.

Hi Naz,

You may of missed this post? I thought it summed up the DIY side of this really well.

Nazaroo,

This is just my opinion,
I think that what is missing here is a build type section in this thread.
I know that there are probably many here that would like to build your amp and listen to it.

However as most people including myself do have limited time to spend trying new "unproven" <<to me ideas. To quantify this statement, I have not been able to listen to it!
I will give an example, Lets say I want to build this amp in a modest way<<ie medium power (Invest some money on what should be a great experience). There is no single post in this thread with a complete schematic with component values. So the assumption is the builder is going to "design" the circuit hoping that they have the correct parameters to achieve this level of sound. If they make a bad job of this your theory is going to be dashed on the rocks...If you provide a build post in this thread you will get far more support.

Surly the whole point of this thread is to get positive feedback from other peoples builds..I could be wrong! :) and you may just be presenting the idea..

Regards
M. Gregg

Thanks for your input CSlee.

But it will become obvious that there is nothing special in this build,
that would cause one to doubt its performance as a topology.
I have already analyzed it pretty thoroughly here,
and the operating principles and performance factors are only science and engineering after all, not magic.

The same DIY building techniques apply, like taking adequate care for layout and shielding, using reliable (not over expensive) parts, choosing operating points sensibly.

During any build, it should be obvious what will be the problem,
if results vary from expectations:

(1) Wiring mistakes. (i.e., misreading pinouts on sockets, bad solder-joints)

(2) Bad layout practices. (poor isolation, bad shielding, wires too long)

(3) Faulty components. (bad caps, faulty connectors, shorted windings, tubes that fail in audio circuits but pass quick tests)

(4) Unforeseen external issues (like working under a broadcast transmitter).

(5) Bad power sources (faulty grounds, poor cabling, wavering voltages, brown-outs)

These are the cause of 99% of failed expectations, once a design has already been proven by previous builds.

M.Gregg's post wasn't regarding good construction practice for the DIYer, it was regarding there not being a full schematic for the DIYer to build this amp themselves.

Surly the whole point of this thread is to get positive feedback from other peoples builds..I could be wrong! and you may just be presenting the idea..

If this is the ultimate mono-block then it would be really interesting to build and compare to other designs, until then it is only proven by yourself to anyone that has heard it and agrees.

I guess one important point is this:

I've provided more than enough information for anyone
reasonably skilled at building high voltage power amps
to pick their own tubes and set the values to taste.

Does anyone really want a complete newbie to start
working with 800 - 1000 volts alone on their non-insulated test-bench,
because they want to build the best amp in the world as their first DIY?

I'll tell you what.
I will lead people through a real build,
marking out all the dangers that I know about,
and others can add their safety thoughts as I go,
and then I'll post a complete schematic afterward.
That way there's at least a chance some 15 yr old know it all
won't kill themselves accidentally building a certainly lethal electronic device.

Status
Not open for further replies.