• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ju-Jutsu: The Ultimate Monoblock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
The SRPP output stage is not new. Note the schematic included in the Mullard data sheet for the EL86,

This is a modern version with the EL84.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 481
Hi nazaroo,

you mentioned that it is difficult to find/make an amp with this quality at this cost. So what was the cost?a total or the components cost(everything except chassis).

My problem with tubes always is what do I do if I need in the future to replace them. After say 7 years. Where would I find stock with fine tubes?Not cheap (chinese) fake replicas....

I guess many folks want a BOM and schematic with the parts values inserted.

Otoh, this is a good place to go and do some reading, get out ur scientific calculator, and try to figure out what values will need to go in the various places based on the schematic presented AND also the likely B+, bias point plus current draw of each tube.

Since there are quite a few sources cited for analysis of the basic circuit, it should be possible to get "in the ball park" pretty fast.

Then you make up a breadboard prototype version of 1/2 of 1/2 of the circuit (it is mirrored x 4) and test to see what the numbers look like, tweak the parts values.

That ought to actually work for the most part.

A scope on the signal would tell you a bunch too... someone with a sound card and an FFT program could look at the harmonics WRT parts values and operating points...

If a few folks go this route, you can all share your results in a build/reverse engineer thread and become famous/renowned in the process!

Seems like a fun way to go to me.

_-_-bear

PS. I am curious to know what the ratio of 2nd to higher order harmonics wrt power levels on this amp turns out to be. Also the value of that first resistor off the cathode where the OT connection is made.

Whew. Maybe he has a big "junk box" for inventory?

I would think the prices on tubes, sockets, wire, resistor and capacitors are easy to figure. Power supply parts too. Chassis, depends on what you use, what he used. There are some very pretty chassis from China these days... Now the only maybe custom part is the output iron.

Maybe you should ask him what output iron he used, and what specs?

It's not hard to communicate, but one has to ask a question that there is a way to answer.

Maybe I missed something in the schematic - is there anything exotic or difficult to source?

Anyway, why not PM the OP, doubt he will want to quote his cost of parts in public, given that he doesn't even want to tell anyone his parts values? Makes sense to me...

:p

_-_-bear

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
His teasing ways, whether you like them or not, seem to work: a couple of folks already want to marry his amp.

He's behind bars again, indicating a fluctuating temper. So, no more jokes from me. Actually, I'm feeling a bit sorry for him.

I believe it is a very specific question.

Yes, it is. But you're not going to get an specific answer. This is not a shopping mall.

Status
Not open for further replies.