Jordan JXR6 HD Designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Colin,
As you probably know, Wilmslow Audio are handling Jordan sales in the UK now. The JX92S and the JXR6 are already on the website. I enquired about the JX125NG, and apparently these are going to be on the site soon, and available around the end of May. Nice to see EAD have got these back onto the market. The numbers for the '125 sim rather large cabinets, particularly for ported alignments, but about 30l sealed looks OK, albeit with a Q on the wrong side of 0.8. Aperiodic loading, either DIY or a variovent, would probably allow a Q around 0.7 or so and -3dB at about 50Hz.
I tried using the old '125 crossed over to a tweeter at 3k or so several years ago in a concrete lined box. Didn't quite do it in the upper mid, but the 'speed' and definition in the upper and mid bass still haunts me- and a number of friends of mine that heard them- to this day. The friend I sold them to still uses them. Still very nice too, when I heard them again recently, but the midrange (and low bass limitations) were still as I remembered. I'll shortly be trying out cutting my JX92S at 200Hz or so and see how they do with a pair of subs...

I was told these do work in a vented box

Ted Jordan says the JXR6HD should be used sealed to reduce risk of damage. The sealed box supplies some of the suspension.

Besides, they are so small they need to cross to a bass driver, like the AL160 or JX125.

Toaster - I also tried the JX125 and JX53 at a higher freq but thought they were better at 500Hz. I've heard the Townsend system (JX125 and ribbon tweeter) in a plaster/concrete ported box and wasn't keen. The 125/53 sounded better in a sealed cabinet. The cabinet was built using veneered chipboard/insulation board walls and, biamped with twin DNM power amps, sounded very quick.

BTW: I've measured Bandor 150 cone and its thickness varies chaotically from 0.21 to 0.47mm, spun on wooden jig. Isn't Jordan spun on metal jig? - it looks smooth. Samples cones from Bandor doesn't look good (see below). Have you noticed Bandor is using a soft foam under spider?

Attachments

• Bandor.jpg
    Bandor.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 356
I assumed the same but the makers are saying yes, as multiples in a carefully designed vented box- the reason I asked is down to the accoustic crossover point (to a single sub) not being quite low enough.

If I was going to the expense of 8 x JXR6s, I think I'd budget for two subs and cross over higher up. My little sub here will go up to 250Hz. Two would fit in quite well with the JXR6 array in a closed box.

Thanks Woody. I'm aware of that design, but AFAIK the Goldwoods aren't available in the UK. I do have a Hawthorne Audie 15 here, but time hasn't been with me to try that combo yet. At the moment I'm enjoying an all OB speaker using the Augies with Hawthorne's 10" Sterling coax drivers. Not quite as refined as the Jordans, but still surprisingly civilised- and the subjective dynamics are certainly a lot better than a Jordan in a box. They go quite a bit louder too!

If I was going to the expense of 8 x JXR6s, I think I'd budget for two subs and cross over higher up. My little sub here will go up to 250Hz. Two would fit in quite well with the JXR6 array in a closed box.

Ok, now I'm thinking to make a compact TL or aperoidic enclosure with 2x jxr6's. I'm not sure if an AP would offer any real benefit but it looks interesting. PMC and a couple of other companies make very compact TL's and I'm wondering if anyone has been crazy enough to try the little JXR6 in a similar design.

Ok, now I'm thinking to make a compact TL or aperoidic enclosure with 2x jxr6's. I'm not sure if an AP would offer any real benefit but it looks interesting.

PMC and a couple of other companies make very compact TL's and I'm wondering if anyone has been crazy enough to try the little JXR6 in a similar design.

well, why not be the first (at least to post it here)

One of the instances of this kind of thing is what i call a midrange aperiodic TL. And example of this can be seen in the Tysen thread.

dave

I feel a bit happier now- I can see so many benefits of a compact TL for small fullrangers inc
low end driver control / flat impedance / less coloured sound /controlled and extended bass

its just the cost/time to make the quite intricate cabs which is why I was also looking at a smaller aperoidic which offer similar benefits (but I lose bass extention).

PS Looking at this new H-PAS technology but cannot find much info.. supposed to be the Holy Grail of Bass, masses of controlled extended bass from a tidly drive unit and cabinet etc - something to do with Clements compression lines I think, not that I know what that is either LOL

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.