Jordan JXR6 HD Designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some more feedback on the JXR6.

I've been playing around some more, trying to match them to my JX92 MLTLs for bass. The 6s turn out to be a wee bit too efficient. Fiddling with resistors, 3-4 ohms in series seemed to balance them out. So ... I reverted to mono and wired both JXR6s in series, to give an 8 ohm speaker. This gave a much better match to the JX92.

I got to playing some more and tried a faux dipole arrangement, with the JXR6 cabinets back to back, still wired in series. This gave a much more natural sound, rounding it out in the lower mid. Not an original idea, but it's the first time I've tried it and it seems to suit the JXR6. Sounds like the little blighter would benefit from a BSC circuit (or I have to buy a second pair).

Hi guys!

I'm new to full-range stuff as I usually don't like it but this JXR6 looks very nice :)

I was thinking of partnering it with a sub at around 250Hz..

Anyway a few questions if you don't mind!

Has anyone tried this driver in a di-pole configuration, or is it not damped highly enough?

Should I expect any issues regarding high frequency dispersion? I think beaming should set in around 7KHz. Is there any way to get wider HF dispersion?

With that in mind, does anyone have off-axis response graphs for this driver? High directionality is okay, as long as the off-axis response is even.

If crossing over at 250Hz, what sort of SPL can I expect from a single unit?

I was considering a Fountek NeoPro5i ribbon crossing at 1.5KHz before, but I like the idea of crossing over much lower. However, is the treble and refinement good enough on this JXR6? i.e. comparable to the Fountek ribbon?

Thanks a lot!

This driver seems like it might be a bit of a god-send!

By di-pole, I assume you mean open baffle? Not recommended with this driver, it needs the sealed box to provide the suspension.

Re frequency dispersion, they are designed to be directional at HF to provide the stable imaging which is one of the characteristics of Jordan drivers. Another characteristic is high resolution, especially of small details, so yes, they are definitely a good alternative to a ribbon driver.

For SPL, prob best to check the spec on the Jordan website.

Hope this helps.

Colin said:
Hi - I'm currently using a pair of JXR6s in 2.4 litre sealed enclosures. Sound impressive for their size, even used on their own.

At present I'm experimenting with the GM MLTL JX92s to add some bass, though if anything I think the 6s might be more sensitive than the 92s. (Looking at the spec, this could be because the 6s seem to be more of a 4 ohm speaker.)

Any news?

I'm thinking about a single pair version of a wall-mounted unit like this http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/systems/jxr6_systems.html and a pair of subs crossing over about 200Hz. Is that a sufficiently low xo not to disturb the imaging (which I'm expecting to be spectacular)?

Or I might stick them in the same box as the LF. Early days.

If the xo is any higher I'm scared that I'll hear two sets of boxes, while if it's lower I won't be able to use a 1st order crossover (it will all be active, whatever frequency and slope I choose). Or am I expecting too much of the JXR6's LF handling, there being a lot of energy between 100 and 200Hz in most music? I'd like to be able to use a 30W class-A amp, though if it needs more that's not a problem.

I have Tannoy HPD385s in 200 litre reflexes at present and would like to hear something at least as good image-wise, though I know I'll never hear bass like that again...nor will my neighbours, but that's another story.

The Jordan factory is closed for holiday right now by the way, in case anyone is awaiting a reply to an enquiry.

Here is another thought... Check out these http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=ALPAIR6RECT as an alternative to the Jordan (this driver is made by the same company who built the JXR6 or at least the 4 that I have). If I am not mistaking Mark Audio's drivers have a spider and perform just as good if not better. I think they will play lower than the than the JXR6 too.

I didn't ever try the JXR6 in an array so I can't really comment on that design. My experience with the driver was favorable and it performed really well (wide sound stage) in a two way desing, but I wasn't ever really able to get it to work below 200. Mating a sub to the JXR6 only proved hard.

Thanks for the pointer to Brian Cherry's work, but having searched quite a bit on this site and throuh google, alas I can't find anything.

If anyone has any pointers to threads on actual designs, that would be much appreciated!

Other comments appreciated as well, but I am not looking to get the low end from these drivers and am looking for the tightest spacing possible, ergo the JXR6 HD.

Re: Jordan JXR6 HD Line Array?

mdikovics said:
Has anyone seen a design for the JXR6 HD in a line array configuration? Any other interesting configurations would also be of interest. I have searched the site but nothing comes up.

I want to find out if I will need more than 4 per side while they are still on sale at Jordan USA

There's a design on the original Jordan site and probably on EAD. You just place them together in a vertical line and in a box 8 to 12 L.

I assume you're talking about the original, MarkAudio manufactured JXR6s? The new EAD ones have a slightly different spec (2L recommended enclosure each) and I believe have a spider fitted. Presumably designs will appear to match them to the new JX125NG bass drivers.

So if spiderless, the units still need a sealed enclosure?

The TA site talks about the dual voice coils matching driver to a range of cabinets. The only ones I'v come across before (a long time ago) were Focal bass/mid units in the old Daline design by Falcon Audio. They used separate crossover sections on each coil, I believe.

Clearly I'll have to go off and Google.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.