Jordan Eikona 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Weii, I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of Eikona2's as a (hopefully) upgrade to the JX92S. They arrived yesterday, build quality looks to be very nice as it should be for these prices. I'm going to let them break in on the bench for about 100 hours before installing them in the horns the JX92s now reside in. Unfortunately the frame is a few mm larger so I first need to do some tricky modifications to the baffle ring to get them to fit. In a couple of weeks I should know if they were worth the effort. More to come.

Paul

Another image using Sine Wave and a waterfall after slight correction.

Attachments

• 22nd.jpg
    22nd.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 387
  • Thursday.jpg
    Thursday.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 385
Hi Everybody,

I finally got my Eikona2's installed in my JX92S backhorns. The big pain was the 9 mm larger frame, so I needed to make a jig to allow me to use my router to enlarge the cutout without wrecking the baffle. I all worked out great. the Eikona2s have a better beefier frame, vented motor and venting under the spider, it also sports a phase plug and a foam ring glued to the cone around the phase plug, I don't know if it has a shorting ring or not. After living with the JX92S for about ten years I got to say that the Eikona is definitely better in every way. The JX92S was very impressive, but there was something annoying me in the upper mids, and could be too aggressive on some music. I tried using a tweeter to combat whatever was bugging me so that is why you see a little tweeter on my horn. In the end I found I liked it better without it. The Eikona dropped right in and sounded great using the same BSC filter, stuffing, and zobel as the JX92s. It was a significant upgrade, whatever was bugging me is gone, very natural and open sounding, great detail and fantastic base. The efficiency seems to be the same as the JX92S. I'm driving it with a DIY Sony VFet class A amp that Nelson Pass was so kind to make available, a beautiful pairing and gets way louder than I'll ever need. So I am very pleased, I feel it was certainly worth the coin for this upgrade.

Attachments

• Comparison front.jpg
    Comparison front.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 350
  • Comparison rear.jpg
    Comparison rear.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 346
  • Comparison side.jpg
    Comparison side.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 346
  • jig 1.jpg
    jig 1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Jig ready.jpg
    Jig ready.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Eikona horn 2.jpg
    Eikona horn 2.jpg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Eikona horn 1.jpg
    Eikona horn 1.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 215
It's great, kicks you in the gut, the floor acts like an extension of the mouth and goes very low. Years ago using a radio shack spl meter and a frequency sweep CD I measured in room response down into the upper 20's. But not sure how accurate that was though. Anyway subjectively certainly has deeper base than large three ways that I have. Plus the VFet amp is very dynamic so a great match.

Funny you ask, I've been trying to ignore this little fact, but for me they don't really work well together. The Alpair 7 center sounds thin and lifeless to me.

I will eventually be building a matching Eikona center unit for movie watching...

For music and normal listening I lean toward 2 channel anyways, but its nice to have the full surround for movies.

I have Alpair 10.3 that I keep going back and forth on what to use them in. The Elkona 2 in a 30" MLTL would seem to work best in the location I have available. Then I could use the 10.3's as surrounds. I would prefer to use an Elkona as a center to match the left and right, but they only seem to be sold as pairs. So I was wondering how the 7.3 matched. I would probably use a 10.3 if I can't get a single Elkona.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.