Jordan 92S TL + ESg2 ribbon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These older threads have facinating information on them. I'm learning so much new when reading these. Thanks.

navin said:
i am a budget audiophile ...anyone know how do the TB al cone drivers sound v/s the jordan, bandor, fostex, lowther et. al.

what i was thinking of (too keep things simple) is a 1.5 way (MCM+TB). this dodges 2 issues.

1. XO in the vocal range
2. XO where the C-C distance of the 2 drivers being XOed is larger than the wavelength - this phenomenon can cause lobing.

say you have a 10cm fullrnage and a 1" tweeter ona 3" face plate. the c-c distance is 3.5" (9cm). now if one was to XO at 5k you'd get lobing after 343/5000 m where 343m/s is speed of sound (in warmer climes like India in the US it is closer to 330m/s) which is if the c-c was more than about 7 cm.

one way out of this is use a 3" fullrange like the W3 871 or W3 315sc and a tweeter with no flange like the Vifa D26NC even then the c-c distance is about 6cm menaing that lobing could occur above 5700Hz or so.

This caugth my interest. I was planning on building some unordinary high x-over 2-way speakers. So, what's this lobing you are mentioning? What does it do? Isn't this a problems of every full-range + supertweeter design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.