• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

John Linsley Hood Ripple Eater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Next lot of dispatching will be done on Monday morning (when my Post Office re-opens). I'm not around to answer emails etc until then, but do go ahead and order. I'll get up early on Monday and make sure any weekend backlog is cleared. These are going like hot-cakes, folks. Don't miss out!!!!

Cheers

Jon

Hello,
I'm new in this thread and I need the tech info of this regulator about max output voltage, differnce input/output and maximum output current.
Thanks for your help.
Ciao
Guglielmo
Italy

The vast proportion of the existing JLH ripple eaters are used following a LM317/LM337 based psu. Basically the JLH 'cleans up' the output from these regs, and lowers impedance. I use several, some at 20V (@ 200mA), and an original dual board following a +/-15Vdc LM based regulator. I'll also be using one on a 5V supply feeding a DAC I'm playing with, and there is at least one in existence which is being used on a 55V supply (all depends on the components installed) The JLH will have the same effect following a lm78/79 based supply, and from my own experience is a worthwhile upgrade if using these types of supply. As Jon says, there is far more detail in the build manual, and there is even a copy of JLH original article on the 'net if you go looking ;)

Last edited:
Can I ask you if there is any improvement putting it after a switching psu?
Thank you!

I've not heard of anyone using one after a switching supply, but that does not mean that it can't!
It depends on the level of noise present on the voltage coming out of the supply. In his original article, John Linsley Hood measured the noise from his bench power supply at 300uV, and his circuit reduced this to 4uV, across the same bandwidth of measurement, so you can see that it reduces the noise present on the voltage supplied into it. What I would say is that if the switcher does not have any form of current limiting in it, then the current limiting section of the circuit should be used to reduce inrush current.

The mention of the LM78 and 317 type regs is because many have found that you can literally make 'a silk purse out of a pigs ear' by using the JLH after these simple PSU's instead of spending lot's of time and money on more complicated PSU's.

If you do try one with a switcher, please do tell us how you get on.

I've not heard of anyone using one after a switching supply, but that does not mean that it can't!
It depends on the level of noise present on the voltage coming out of the supply. In his original article, John Linsley Hood measured the noise from his bench power supply at 300uV, and his circuit reduced this to 4uV, across the same bandwidth of measurement, so you can see that it reduces the noise present on the voltage supplied into it. What I would say is that if the switcher does not have any form of current limiting in it, then the current limiting section of the circuit should be used to reduce inrush current.

The mention of the LM78 and 317 type regs is because many have found that you can literally make 'a silk purse out of a pigs ear' by using the JLH after these simple PSU's instead of spending lot's of time and money on more complicated PSU's.

If you do try one with a switcher, please do tell us how you get on.

Thank you very much, W. !:)

At Jon's request I assembled a couple of the new PCBs today.
My initial report may be seen in the RG Support thread.
As the 2 x 4,700uF capacitors will need time to form, I have not done any in depth testing, but will do so when these capacitors have had time to fully form.
I expect this will take close to 72 hours, due to the size of the capacitors and the very low voltage involved . (<600mV)
Alex

Post 7.
Rock Grotto Audio Forum - For Headphones - Headphone Amps - Amplifiers - X-Can V2 - Musical Fidelity - headphone Discussion - Amplifier Discussion - DIY - Amplifier Kits - Projects - SCHA - Sennheiser - Beyer - Grado - Audio Technica - Headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.