• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

John Linsley Hood Ripple Eater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
try reforming all the electrolytics to their rated voltage before fitting them.

You can reform all at the same time. Individual limiter resistor to each cap from a common supply voltage. Then leave them to soak as the leakage current reduces. A few 500k pots could be useful here to bring all the caps to their own rated voltage.

try reforming all the electrolytics to their rated voltage before fitting them.

You can reform all at the same time. Individual limiter resistor to each cap from a common supply voltage. Then leave them to soak as the leakage current reduces. A few 500k pots could be useful here to bring all the caps to their own rated voltage.

This sounds like an excellent scheme. Thanks for the pointer, Andrew. Any chance of a Dummies' Version, please? I.e. a set up to form caps for 15VDC. I suppose you could use the SCHA PSU for this task....

On another subject, I can confirm that ALL packages are in the post, as of a few days ago. I am getting reports of packages taking much longer than the prescribed 5 day airmail delivery target for ROW and 3 days for Europe. I have already looked into compensation for a UK package that was late, but eventually arrived. The Post Office form requires that a period of time elapse before compensation may be claimed. I will be asking if there are any outstanding packages in 14 days time, and will start follow up action at that time.

Cheers

Jon

Hi All,

Has anyone not recieved their boards, please?

I admit to one admin ****-up that has resulted in one order not being processed - Sorry Nicola! :(

I'm dealing with that - and trying to get PayPal to unlock my account, as they seem to think I am a charitable organisation. I am NOT HAPPY! :mad:

Cheers

Jon

Hello Jon

My two packages have been received_Thank You!

Yours Sincerely
John

PS
A bit strange the length of time taken for the delivery.
You're right the packages did take longer than normal_I've
had quite a number of packages sent from the UK and all
of them have invariably been delivered within a week.
I've found Royal Post to have been excellent overall.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Has anyone not recieved their boards, please?

I admit to one admin ****-up that has resulted in one order not being processed - Sorry Nicola! :(

I'm dealing with that - and trying to get PayPal to unlock my account, as they seem to think I am a charitable organisation. I am NOT HAPPY! :mad:

Cheers

Jon

BTW, the censored **** referred to a male hen, not anything particularly rude!!

The good news is that I now have a functioning PayPal account again, and will be starting the final steps to get the donation made. I'm aiming for the latter part of next week, due to the time it takes to get monies transferred into my bank account.

With this in mind, are there any missing packages out there, please??

Cheers

Jon

Slightly happier now! ;)

Last edited:
Donation Made!!

Hi Everyone,

I can confirm that I took a cheque to my local Cancer Research UK shop this afternoon.

I gave them a cheque for £729.02. Jason kindly agreed that the DIYA donation of £10 should go to the Charity.

Thanks very much for your kind support!!!

I'm off for a lie down!!! :D

Attachments

• Receipt1.jpg
    Receipt1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 251
Can I bypass the Current Limiter if I use LT1084/5 on my PSU board?
Thx

I haven't tried it with these devices, which have much higher maximum current limit specifications than the LM78xx/LM79XX and the LM317T/LM337T. The current limit with the LT1085 could be as high as 4A,
and the LT1084 as high as 6.5A ! Personally, I wouldn't try it, especially when using higher supply voltages than 12V or so.
I am however using a non CL version with a MC78T12 12V 3A Voltage Regulator that supplies a WD TV Live .
Alex

I haven't tried it with these devices, which have much higher maximum current limit specifications than the LM78xx/LM79XX and the LM317T/LM337T. The current limit with the LT1085 could be as high as 4A,
and the LT1084 as high as 6.5A ! Personally, I wouldn't try it, especially when using higher supply voltages than 12V or so.
I am however using a non CL version with a MC78T12 12V 3A Voltage Regulator that supplies a WD TV Live .
Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm using LT1085 to supply my Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod Dock that needs 1A, do you think I can bypass the current?

Thx

Hi
My concern with the LT devices was is that they can pass a much higher initial (short term) start up current than the other voltage regulators.
If the supply capabilities were unlimited, and no CL was used anywhere, the JLH could try to draw up ro 200A briefly as it tried to charge the large .5 to 1FARAD simulated capacitance. You will not have any problems at 5V, even if the supply is capable of delivering more than the 1A needed for continuous operation of the device.
Alex

Hi
My concern with the LT devices was is that they can pass a much higher initial (short term) start up current than the other voltage regulators.
If the supply capabilities were unlimited, and no CL was used anywhere, the JLH could try to draw up ro 200A briefly as it tried to charge the large .5 to 1FARAD simulated capacitance. You will not have any problems at 5V, even if the supply is capable of delivering more than the 1A needed for continuous operation of the device.
Alex

I guest just for precaution, I'll put Rcurrent (R12) to limit to 1A only, is 0.5R/2w enough?

I guest just for precaution, I'll put Rcurrent (R12) to limit to 1A only, is 0.5R/2w enough?

The original design by JLH was never shown with current limiting of more than 100 mA , although there was reference to up to 300mA.
I have used it with up to 600mA current limiting , but you may have to play around with the value of the base resistor in the current limiter section.(reduce below 1K8)
There is then the question of the saturation voltage (VCE) of the transistor actually used in the current limiter.To obtain+5V using the CL you would need to adjust the voltage out of the LT1085 to compensate for the added voltage drop across the .5R resistor and between collector and emitter of the 2SA1930.
In other words, it is fiddly, and you are likely to be better off relying on the internal current limiting of the LT1085 at much higher currents than the original design.
Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.