John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lumba Ogir said:
Wavebourn,
forbiddance by her parents prevented Giulietta Guicciardi from marrying him.
He was completely deaf when he wrote his ninth symphony (1824). Actually, he began to lose his hearing around 1796.

Well, if this guy can imagine a whole symphony in his head, why can't I imagine a capacitor sound in my head? ;)

Seriously, on the hearing bandwidth issue. I have met many people with very acute hearing that can discern suble differences in sound yet who are so (relatively) old that their hearing probably starts to drop off above 12k.

Two weeks ago I attended a NL AES event with George Massenburg, well know recording engineer. He played lots of tracks he recorded (the topic was 'Good sound recording' or something). I was amazed at the subtleties he and other profesionals could agree on they could hear, many that I missed. Yet these guys are all over 50 or even 60. So it seems to me that to appreciate the subtleties of good music does not require you to hear flat out to 20kHz. Even if you can't hear 14kHz you can still have golden ears.
Seems logical (and a relief!)?

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lumba Ogir said:
Jan,
a decline in frequency range does not restrict noticeably the quality of sound perception.

As usual, the confusion about the role of harmonics is total in this thread.

Well there is a limit of course, at a certain point you lose too much and you are officially deaf. So there most probably is some grey area where your bandwidth starts to drop of but you can still hear subtle details. That grey area will probably vary from individual to individual.

I have a friend who has a hearing aid in both ears. These are state-of-the-art DSP based, individually adjusted to his ears. I can tell you that he picks up anything I pick up (which, conceded, may say more about me then him), so its much, much more complex than bandwidth. Those guys at the AES event I mentioned have spend a lifetime listening critically to music. They'll beat 99% of this forums' population regardless of age.

Jan Didden

Since you are not making this pre-amp anymore,why not release the design details into the public domain for others to build. After all this is a DIY forum and you would assume that the DIY aspect of it would take precedence over anyone with any commercial interests.

This has already been discussed numerous times. If you're not going to bother reading the thread, why bother participating, unless you just want to troll?

ostripper said:

Yes , back to that... it costs more and specs @ lower THD , so we are prebiased to think it sounds better or that it's sound (the expensive component) IS the better sound. We are told if we do not adhere to that perception , it is because we are not "refined" enough to appreciate the "vintage wine".

Trevor White said:

And your evidence for this is ?? Or is this part of a misleading and deceptive marketing strategy to make people think that only something that is more complex to construct must be better ??

Let me share with you a recent experience of mine.
On a local Hi-Fi forum, I read very positive user feedback on certain integrated amplifier, Bladelius Thor mk II. So I decided to give it a try.
For all components I can, I never purchase anything before listening to it on my system. (I cannot try phono cartridges, so here I have to depend on other' reports).

Back to the Bladelius Thor. I didn't search for its' technical data on the net. Rather, I called the local agent, who came over to my place and demonstrated the amplifier. This amplifier sounded (on my system) better than any other one I tried. So, after about 2 hours I wrote him a cheque.

It costs here the equivalent of US$5,250.-, including local tax, or $4,440 before tax.
I'm not a rich person. Being retired, I have no income, only some savings to last me the rest of my days. So, for me, this is A LOT of money, more than I can afford, should I think rationally.

After paying for the amplifier, I asked the dealer for its' technical specs. All he knew was its' output power, 2x165W. He didn't have any data on distortion and other parameters. Later on I looked for it on the net. It's 2x165W@8ohm - Less than 0.1% Thd 20-20Khz, Bandwidth dc-200Khz. From the thd figure, I assume it doesn't use GNFB, though, it isn't documented anywhere.

Now, can anyone tell me if and how I was biased in this case?

Sound great.

Attachments

• components.jpg
    components.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 550
SY said:

Yes, you have a human brain (presumably).

If by that you mean that I have my own personal preferences for sound qualities – it cannot be otherwise. That's all one may have. Unless I'm to choose audio gear by specs. In such a case I wouldn't enjoy the music that much.

jacco vermeulen said:

In this case, you'll likely hear the Blurred Brown PGA2320 volume control in your Thor amp instead of cables. :clown:

My luck is that I listened to that amplifier before reading any data about it.
I like its' sound and no written data is going to change that fact.

Joshua_G said:
Less than 0.1% Thd 20-20Khz, Bandwidth dc-200Khz. From the thd figure, I assume it doesn't use GNFB, though, it isn't documented anywhere.
THD specs are always related to a given powerlevel.
In lots of consumer electronics brochures THD is referenced to the onset of clipping. What level is selected, is the choice of the advertisment department.
Some manufacturers chose 0,1% THD, some 1% and some 10%.
The higher the selected THD, the higher the output power the amp can advertised with - of course the amp must survive that power.
So the same part can have different published specs...
Speculations on these incomplete numbers are futile.
regards

janneman said:

Isn't that obvious??

Jan Didden

Do you think I'm biased because of reading 1 review from 1 layman user?

If you think so, you don't know me at all.

Juergen Knoop said:

THD specs are always related to a given powerlevel.
In lots of consumer electronics brochures THD is referenced to the onset of clipping. What level is selected is the choice of the advertisment department.
Some manufacturers chose 0,1% THD, some 1% and some 10%.
The higher the selected THD, the higher the output power the amp can advertised with - of course the amp must survive that power.
So the same part can have different published specs...
Speculations on these incomplete numbers are futile.
regards

Which is one of the reasons I give very little importance to published specs.
I trust my ears.

I have very bad news for most of us. The loss of HF hearing does negatively effect one's ability to discern all sorts of things sonic. It makes zero difference compared to those who also share one's hearing deficit(s) in similar ways. But compared to someone of equivalent "discernment" who can hear the highs fully, we are only getting part of the picture.

In particular, various HF hash and trash becomes non-existant compared to those who can hear up to and past 20kHz. Believe me, that hash and trash is there - at one time I could hear such things all too well.

So, it is a mixed blessing, and a reality.

________________-------------_______________-------------____________

Trevor, still nothing I saw posted regarding the allegations you made toward me... ?? also you might want to turn on an email link and/or make available your website (do you have one?)

As far as comparing the input to output, how do you recommend the test set up for this? Please do post it so that I can try that test? Keep in mind that I and others reading will need reasonably explicit directions in order to set up the test properly. Thanks much.

_-_-bear

Status
Not open for further replies.