John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: tanh stuff

Edmond Stuart said:
Okay, back to Natan Carter and his low distortion input circuit.
In post #19567 we saw a DIY version of this circuit based on two groups of 4 matched trannies (THAT300 and THAT320). The problem with this circuit is that the performance depends not only on the correct value of R1, but also on temperature and tail current.
If, for example, Tamb rises from 27 to 47 dgr.C, THD increases from 20ppm to 182ppm.
Apart from temperature compensation techniques, does this mean the circuit is useless?
Not really, as a more conventional input stage with comparable gm and current consumption (see below) still produces much more distortion: ~880ppm.

You should be able to re-optimise at 47C and give some variable a simple TC to get a first order compensation. PTAT currents are easy to make (a 1.25V reference impressed on a degenerated transistor is very close).

This would couple BTW to that differential VAS with no further major distortions, a PIM free op-amp.:)

Hi Scott,

That was precisely what I did a couple of hours ago. :)
and it did work with a ......1.25V reference. :D

edit: see pic below

Attachments

• tanh5.png
    tanh5.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 850
Edmond,

I don't see how that circuit can work. I agree with Bear, I just see the output connected to two current sources between the rails. Or are the current sources a function of the strange looking rectangular bar with a + next to the top of it. This is beyond what I'm familiar with, could you explain the current sources?

Johnloudb said:
Edmond,

I don't see how that circuit can work. I agree with Bear, I just see the output connected to two current sources between the rails. Or are the current sources a function of the strange looking rectangular bar with a + next to the top of it. This is beyond what I'm familiar with, could you explain the current sources?
Exactly. It is such a virtual ideal CCCS made for simplicity of virtual reality simulations. It is very different from my SVCS that works in the physical reality, though is called similarly.

Humor me some more please - what real world implementation is a CCCS with a "- 1" (inverting?) that runs off the same rail as a "+1"? Am I to presume it reduces current with drive? :scratch2:
Or? Perhaps it takes a negative going input and makes it positive or vice-versa?

Don't think I've run across these CCCS thingies so far - a new one on me!

And, ok, I'm behind the curve - I admit it - is this whole circuit all current gain until the 1k output resistor? :dunno:

_-_-bear

(I ought to read the patent... :tilt: )

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bear:
If you lived in the world of spice sims these would be familiar (the symbols are always different-so much for standardization).

The current controlled current source is used here so that the impact of the rest of the circuit drops out. A cccs is a "perfect" amplifier, being just numbers. The real world implementation is (as they say) left to the reader.

Sims like this are great for testing ideas, I use a voltage controlled voltage source to test eq and feedback since its independent of the amplifier circuit. However its only a simulation. The real world transistors bring a host of problems that don't show on the simulation, even if the models are good. We were discussing transistor match on IC's earlier, something that highlights differences between real discrete design and tricks that work well on IC's. Plus extra transistors are essentially free and "frictionless" on an IC and bring cost, labor, matching real estate and additional failure rates in the real world.

I tried to live in the world of simulation, but as with virtual reality, it was difficult... still could not get into the VIP room no matter what... (oh wait, that was last night's dream...)

I use LTSpice, but I guess that is somehow a "junior" version, and not the real thing? A little OT, but are there non-:$: versions with these sorts of things installed? Or do I have to go and find the "model" and grab it to put it in... oh so many questions!

_-_-bear

bear said:
......I use LTSpice, but I guess that is somehow a "junior" version, and not the real thing? A little OT, but are there non-:$: versions with these sorts of things installed? Or do I have to go and find the "model" and grab it to put it in... oh so many questions!...........

No need for $$$
Your LT Spice can do that as well.

Just look out for a component (as NPN, NJF, ...etc. ) called "f"

F. Current Dependent Current Source
Symbol Name: F
Syntax: Fxxx n+ n- <Vnam> <gain>
This circuit element applies a current between nodes n+ and n-. The current applied is equal to the value of the gain times the current through the voltage source specified as <Vnam>.

It's just that we have to figure out which CCCS refers to which <Vnam> in Edmonds circuit.

Tino

Status
Not open for further replies.