John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ot

Hi Stuart,

Funny you also know that place. Indeed, nice pub and over 200 different brands of beer. See: www.cafegollem.nl
Nevertheless I prefer Hoppe, mainly because it's frequented by my friends and, equally important, served by skilled, friendly and polite bartenders.

edit: I almost forgot a very important thing: no music! (at least, opposed to 'zit' Hoppe, not in 'sta' Hoppe)

:cheers:
Edmond.

john curl said:
Dutch beers do not taste good in the USA, but very good in Holland. I think it is our alcohol content regulations.

I think that's a myth. There is plenty of artisanal European beer available here exactly as is is in Europe. Reefer shipping has totally changed the landscape. I find many have aquired the "world taste of industrial consistency" on their own even in their place of origin.

john curl said:
No wonder, you are so difficult. Tried AA yet? Makes you a better person, when you are sober.

What? Who is difficult, John? :D
Try to change a belief, try to understand that the alcohol is consumed because of some strange mass-craziness, it is not needed at all, it does not do anything good, it is a poison and CNS depressant. When I was younger than 50 I hesitated questioning beliefs about alcohol consumption, I was thinking, "Who am I to judge 6 milliards of people today, and much more who used alcohol since known historic days?"
But do you know when and why people started using it?
When -- when refrigerators were not available, and microorganisms in water left in vessels poisoned people who drank it.
Why -- because alcohol being poisonous kills microorganisms, but is relatively safe for people.

Speaking of difficulties.... Try not to confront me, or someone else, so rude like you do, you will be surprised. In person you don't say nasty things, but you do that on forum. Think of it.

> Can't speak for Dutch beers, but German beers are pasturised before export, which certainly alters/destroys the flavour. When sold locally, they are not pasturised.

Not only that.

If you go to a small private brewery, and there are many in Germany, you can get beer which is not fully fermented. That means a lot more flavour than beers sold in cans or bottles.

BUT they don't last, and have to be sold within days. So no big brewery would do it. And no export either.

Gives you another excuse to visit Germany in summer.

:)

But let's get back to Audio.....

Patrick

tanh stuff

Okay, back to Natan Carter and his low distortion input circuit.
In post #19567 we saw a DIY version of this circuit based on two groups of 4 matched trannies (THAT300 and THAT320). The problem with this circuit is that the performance depends not only on the correct value of R1, but also on temperature and tail current.
If, for example, Tamb rises from 27 to 47 dgr.C, THD increases from 20ppm to 182ppm.
Apart from temperature compensation techniques, does this mean the circuit is useless?
Not really, as a more conventional input stage with comparable gm and current consumption (see below) still produces much more distortion: ~880ppm.

Attachments

• tanh4.png
    tanh4.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 552
Status
Not open for further replies.