John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think it is important where the money is spent on an expensive connector. I figure the mfg is getting the most return on making mission critical connections that are reliable under extreme abuse and where the customer has a high cost of failure. I don't see a $200 connector using that cost to get better "sound". As with many things there is not a direct connection between cost and all interesting properties.

I just saw on the web all my Cramolin outdated years ago.

Before we started making commercial interconnect cables, we listen tested every RCA plug we could find. In an extremely high resolution system, the Eichmamm solid silver Bullet plugs came out on top, followed by the Eichmann copper Bullet plugs.

We had hoped the new WBT "Next Gen" plugs would win out as they are even more aligned to out theories, but they were quite a way down the list - until we tried them without their metal outer locking cover. Then they became almost as good as the silver Bullets, but impractical to use that way.

But the Eichmann's are poorly constructed and easily melt during assembly if you are not careful.

The best audio connector IMO/IME is the LEMO range - a la ML/JC of the first productions. We now use the plastic bodied version of the LEMO called the Redel as our balanced connector of choice on our top balanced equipment, with XLR, and RCA for paralleled unbalanced connections.

Regards, Allen

www.vacuumstate.com

Thanks Allen, for some 'real' input. Eichmann connectors score very high with my associates, too. WBT is lower on the list. So much for show, and bulk. I have stuck with Vampire, because I have used them for decades, and they work OK. Send me an e-mail with your personal e-mail address, and I can send you a PDF of an article that will knock your socks off, AND prove a few things, with measurements, denied here. I think it was originally sent to me by someone here, I will have to check.

h_a said:
As connectors came up: does somebody have a suggestion for well made RCA/Chinch connectors?

I would prefer military silver BNC, but I can't replace them on all devices I see! ;)

Also, as soon as the law demands grounding through outlet, I would go with balanced interconnects everywhere in audio path. XLR is fine, but some military sockets would be better, as well.

Te.. ugh

Te -Cu is a b&^%$ to get any plating to adhere metallurgically to reliably....

especially on high precision machined components that can't be etched to oblivion:xeye: :bigeyes:

I'm surprised someone hasn't investigated the sonic benefits of quartz vs. glass valve envelopes, tin vs. nickel pin plating on toob sockets... type of tungsten in filaments.. grid /plate materials... etc...

maybe a new market?? :D

John L.

Status
Not open for further replies.