John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• box_002.jpg
    box_002.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,144
Hi, Jacco,

No, you are right... He even had the tantalum unobtainium trimpots exchanged for cermet ones...

Here is a difference between a tech and an engineer. John Curl had the Hell to have his designs stable (without any oscillation) with NO unwanted capacitor added in the signal path. A long crusade from the JC-2 to the Blowtorch that has NO cap in the signal path. I now know what he calls "elegant" design. A straight line from his very earlier works.

A tech would just have sticked a cap or two to tame oscillations ... Et voilà... What was the problem ?? Just fixed soon !

But as I read earlier, I am quite boring people with such stories, eh ? And moderators surely more, as they must read...

So, I will leave the forum tomorrow. Just better leaving than to be banned... :clown:

Will glance at intervals on Blowtorch thread progress... Anyway, I will re-draw the Dennesen servo. Somewhat more complex that the Vendetta one (sorry for, Dimitri ! Really). But really simple in Blowtorch's one regard... But will be only posted tomorrow.

Jbaudiophile

jacco vermeulen said:

I still don't get the RelCap MKP to Roederstein MKT1813 Polyester exchange in the SCP-1 on those pics.
Am i missing something or is Mr Amp8 a witty git who swaps anything yellow for yellow?

Hi Jacco, I made that mistake too once.
Took poly caps from an electronic organ on the street ready to be scrapped.
Woow nice compact caps I thought. Turned out to be mylars...
Now I am sitting on tons of polypropylenes.....

Blues said:
What's in the smaller box? Looks like a very complex circuit.

I'm thinking the aluminum boxes are milled from castings and not from solid Al like the Blowtorch and the Ayre's latest amp.

There is an A/D transient recorder, sample rate up to 10MHz, 4MB RAM, and optical fibre output. The small box is an industrial one, the big one is custom-made, milled from Al sheets 8mm (I made drawings).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jbaudiophile,
So, I will leave the forum tomorrow. Just better leaving than to be banned...
We have talked off line (by email) a little. I see no reason for you to leave. You aren't boring us.

Have you noticed your posts appear quickly?

Hi John,
Don't let the moderators bring you down.
Huh? :confused:
You lost me there. PM might be appropriate if you have any questions. I'll have to leave soon, but I'll be back later and I will answer your questions to the best of my ability.

-Chris

Um, not to belabor the obvious, but it seems to me that if John had them in a format wherein they could be e-mailed, then he could just as easily post them. I suspect it's the hardcopy to electronic transition that's the problem.
Yes, he could enter them into a CAD/simulation program, but that might be a nuisance.

Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.