John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
anatech said:
I think we do. I've never used one of those services to be honest with you. I also:
a) Don't have John's number and ...
b) Don't know him well enough to simply call the man even if I did.

If a conversation were to take place, it would have to be at both our conveniences. The best place for that would be at "The Burning Amp Festival" which I am hoping to attend.

I honestly don't believe it's a big enough issue to warrant extraordinary steps from anyone really. That offer is open to anyone who feels there is a misunderstanding with me. I have much better things to do than troll around any web sites.

It is, however, a very small world and you never know who you might run into. It pays not to create enemies where there not not be any. Don't you agree?

Sure. Just that you said he was too far away for a direct call on the telephone so I suggested checking out the 1010 services. That's all.

se

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
It depends on whether you listen to people with wisdom and experience.:soapbox:

Listen, yes of course. After that, do my own thinking ;)

A scientist I admire a lot once said:

"There are three wrong reasons to believe something: Authority, Tradition, Religion".

I tend to agree with him. Authorities, Traditional wisdom as well as Religious dogma's each contradict themselves in their fields. That means that one or the other is wrong. Yet, they ALL claim they are right. So, there's no way around doing your own thinking..

But of course listening to the experts gives you a huge head start. I like it here on your shoulders :D .
No need to start from zero and re-invent the wheel over and over again.

Jan Didden

Charles Hansen and I look up to our own tech guru. He is about 80 years old and still is an applications engineer for Siliconix and Interfet. When we have a technical question about fets, we go to him.
He has written a book or two about fet design, and is still very sharp. We have both found his input very useful over the decades. He has wisdom. We also help him when we can, as well.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
Charles Hansen and I look up to our own tech guru. He is about 80 years old and still is an applications engineer for Siliconix and Interfet. When we have a technical question about fets, we go to him.
He has written a book or two about fet design, and is still very sharp. We have both found his input very useful over the decades. He has wisdom. We also help him when we can, as well.

I have one of Ed's books, forget which one. Very old, but I learned a lot from it. I think in Europe we were a bit disadvantaged in that we wouldn't/couldn't just call anybody in the States like you guys did. I mean, it didn't occur to us, and we didn't speak the 'lingo' anyway.

Jan Didden

janneman said:

I have one of Ed's books, forget which one. Very old, but I learned a lot from it. I think in Europe we were a bit disadvantaged in that we wouldn't/couldn't just call anybody in the States like you guys did. I mean, it didn't occur to us, and we didn't speak the 'lingo' anyway.

Jan Didden

Ed who please?
Why the secrecy?
Just wanna read the boobs.

Two fine old books come to mind: Leonce Sevin (TI) "Field Effect Transistors" and Ed Oxner (Siliconix) "Designing with Field Effect Transistors, 2 ed". Old copies of the Siliconix JFET data books also come in handy, as they have the device family characteristics as well as individual data sheets. The family characteristics are useful when you want to use a device for purposes not originally intended, such as using a J110 or PN4393 as an amplifier instead of a switch.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
Why don't some of you check out 'Ed Oxner fet' on Google? It might get you some useful information.

I've got: "Power FETS and their Applications" by Ed Oxner. There is a 50-page chapter on modelling and characterization alone.
Must have bought it mid-80's, at Opamp Technical Books on N Sycamore in LA. Bought a lot of books there. Does that store still exist?

Jan Didden

Status
Not open for further replies.