John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
john curl said:
Much of the research has been done originally by Otala, dismissed by Cordell, and shunned by the AES. You are too late Joshua_G, you have to look back at the OLD knowledge of 30 years ago. :wiz:

I did not dismiss any of Otala's IIM work. Most of it was good stuff. I simply DISPROVED one of his assertions/conclusions, i.e., that high open-loop output impedance reduced by negative feedback leads to IIM.

Otala did a lot of good work, but he shot himself in the foot by drawing wrong conclusions from some of that work. He had a serious blind spot when it came to scientific discipline in drawing conclusions and testing them.

Cheers,
Bob

john curl said:
Joshua_G, you are going to run up against a 'dead end'. This is because the 'models' are only partial, and they won't show you much. Of course, a PURE inductance or capacitance will make almost any amp cry for help, but you can't model everything in between. We, real amp designers, have addressed this for decades. The biggest problems are protection circuitry firing too often, current limiting, and breakdown because of operation in a forbidden region.

I know that such models are only partial, at best.
That's why I'm not going to rely on such model – I only asked those who suggested it about a working one.

Bob Cordell said:

Hi John,

You are quite correct about the loudspeaker and how it acts. Indeed, I covered this in detail in my IIM paper long ago - using SPICE to model the loudspeaker, no less. The high currents that can be generated under certain conditions are real. We don't disagree on this.

Where we do disagree is in regard to the correction signal that is required to keep the output node from wiggling in response. That signal going back does not create a problem, at least insofar as Otala's definition and measurement method for IIM. I have measured real amplifiers for IIM and also shown theoretically that IIM does not increase when the NFB is responsible for the low closed-loop output impedance. I think your intuition is just getting the best of you here.

Did you measure that amplifier with a real speaker?

Look Joshua, it is like this. But engineers graduated in electro-acoustics are not welcome in this thread. Electro-mechanical transformation. Mass to inductance, compliance to capacitance, friction to resistivity.

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 418
Status
Not open for further replies.