John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
janneman said:
OTOH, if I see what those IC smiths turn out in 2009, ICs get very competitive. As long as you can live with +/-15V supply, that is. For higher levels, there's still no substitute for discretes.

There are a few +/-40V opamps who, while not directly intended for audio, have quite interesting specs. OPA445 (in DIP8, JFET input, 20nV/rtHz noise, distortions in the ppm range), OPA452/453 (in TO220-7pin, JFET input, fast, 50mA output). They seem to fit pretty well a line amp application.

scott wurcer said:

BTW as one would expect this list is very US centric. I would certainly consider Willy Sansen, or Rudy van de Plassche.

I would strongly recommend the reading of his book:
Analog design essentials

This is the perfect follow up of Gray and Meyer and is a real gem.

His book on non linear distortion is on my plate but I am not sure that it will bring practical aspects for audio because it treats only weak non linear distortion.

Shoud Erdi not be on the list ?

JPV

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
How long has Bob Widlar been dead? Do you know how many years? What have you, Scott Wurcer, added to IC design that was not essentially known by Harris in the 1970's? Please provide evidence, and listening feedback. Please don't say that you invented low Rbb'. We known about that since 1966.

You know John, it is a bloody shame that you still feel the need for such messages. Just lash out, right, and the hell with interpersonal relations.
How would you feel if we asked you what you have invented in audio design that we didn't essentially know after your long tailed pair in 1964?

Jan Didden

SY said:

I did. On this point, they don't.

They do, please look again:

Attachments

• oscilations 1.jpg
    oscilations 1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 367
janneman said:
A whole class of those can be found among the DSL differential line drivers. Not designed for audio, but eminently suited.
Check them out.

Jan Didden

OPA847 - bipolar, 3.9GHz bandwidth, 950V/uS slew rate, 100uV offset, 0.85nV/rtHz noise, 18mA supply, probably 10mA output stage bias, distortions ppm in the MHz range.

THS4631 - JFET input, 325MHz bandwidth, 1000V/uS slew rate, unity gain stable, 7nV/rtHz noise, 12mA supply, certainly over 5mA output stage bias, distortions ppm in the MHz range.

Do it with discretes.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
Jan, I am not mad at Scott, but he is being misleading about IC's. It is important that others are not given a inappropriate summary of what IC's offer. It is just like American autos. They have changed in the last 35 years in some ways, BUT are they really better?

He's not inappropriately given IC info. You are. You think nothing has changed in 35 years, while IC's have been leaping forward. Where have you been hiding?

Jan Didden

syn08 said:

OPA847 - bipolar, 3.9GHz bandwidth, 950V/uS slew rate, 100uV offset, 0.85nV/rtHz noise, 18mA supply, probably 10mA output stage bias, distortions ppm in the MHz range.

THS4631 - JFET input, 325MHz bandwidth, 1000V/uS slew rate, unity gain stable, 7nV/rtHz noise, 12mA supply, certainly over 5mA output stage bias, distortions ppm in the MHz range.

Do it with discretes.

I'd be more interested in comparing sound with discrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.