John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi PMA?

Controlled crosstalk with good effect:

From
http://www.richardbrice.net/ppm.htm

"[...] So that, when two-loudspeakers reproduce a stereo image from a standard stereo CD for example, the high frequency components of each instrument or voice emanate from one place within the stereo image and the low-frequency components emanate from nearly - but not quite - the same place. The result, to use a visual analogy, is a slight smearing or blurring of the stereo image. [...]"

Here is the simple circuit Richard Brice proposed to cure this blurring effect. It was published in his book
http://www.amazon.fr/Multimedia-Virtual-Reality-Engineering-Richard/dp/0750629878

It is permanenly switched on in my sytem.

Attachments

• brice_simplefrancinstein.jpg
    brice_simplefrancinstein.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 334
SY said:
The do a simple IM test. 60 and 6000 Hz should show up any electronic problem. Nothing mysterious about it.

OK, so this will show whether there are detail lost, very mysterious.

Originally posted by SY
How did you verify that the first amp wasn't being run into overload? Did you have a scope on the output while you were listening? How did you verify that the listening tests were conducted at the same SPL? Did you have an SPL meter or calibrated spectrum analyzer running during the listening sessions?

Well for claimed 200W monoblocks at normal listening levels, I would not think that to be a problem, especially when the second amp was 160W. Are you listening to music, on other people's systems, with SPL meters and a calibrated spectrum analyzer connected?

Originally posted by SY
If you're seriously interested in correlating measurements to audible phenomena, it's not a terribly hard thing, nor does it require very exotic gear.

Yes' I've noticed a few correlating measurements, I guess some of them will be very controversial from a scientist's viewpoint. Then, unfortunately there are a few that I don't have a clue how to measure for, luckilly it is easy to do a listening test.

Andre Visser said:
I want to believe 'nothing is impossible'. :D

It should be possible to back up your reports with other reports.

If you invited other skilled listeners to your home and they had a choice between two amps or two cables that you know sound different in one particular aspect such as sound stage focus, they should be able to confirm your reports.

The test can be sighted, but you should be absent while they are introduced to the equipment and whilst they swap and listen. They are only told that eg "one of these has a defocussed sound stage, just identify it."

alansawyer said:

Jacco, I agree with your logic and observation, but I bet Joshua doesn't even recognise there being anything at all odd about a 65 year old having more accurate hearing than most (or he will argue that his experience enables him to make better use of what he has left). His posts read as instant responses without self observation, that come out of him as attempts to ridicule those that post logical thought. A shame really because he may have useful things to contribute, but until he works out how to participtae he won't get most of us taking him seriously.

One of the things that well grounded engineers develop is a wide range bs detector, and I think that may be missing here.

Ever notice a blind person seems to hear things others don't?
It's not that their ears suddenly improve ten fold.
It's that they learn to notice the sounds that most of us don't.
So it it with some audiofiles.
They don't have better hearing, they've just learned to notice sounds others ignore.

myhrrhleine said:

Ever notice a blind person seems to hear things others don't?
It's not that their ears suddenly improve ten fold.
It's that they learn to notice the sounds that most of us don't.
So it it with some audiofiles.
They don't have better hearing, they've just learned to notice sounds others ignore.

Indeed.
Also, it seems to me that the time I worked as a recording 'engineer' have its' effect on training my ears to note subtle nuances.

janneman said:
.............. If one would want to express sound stage width in terms of electrical signal properties, what would they be?
Has anybody here some info on that? Jan Didden

Only that one of the most spooky stereo imaging I've heard came from a Gretz cassette portable with detactable open back single drivers sitting each side of the mantle piece. Those Germans knew what they were doing...............my ears were real good then.
:)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Andre Visser said:

The SPL matching theory, it is very overrated. A good system will sound good at any reasonable volume, a bad system will sound good only at one volume. :D

The louder the system, the wider the soundstage and the more spacious it sounds. Spaciousness depends on the audibility of the reflections in the sound which are of much less amplitude. Increase the level, and more and more reflections rise above the audibility threshold. Simple.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
fredex said:

It should be possible to back up your reports with other reports.

If you invited other skilled listeners to your home and they had a choice between two amps or two cables that you know sound different in one particular aspect such as sound stage focus, they should be able to confirm your reports.

The test can be sighted, but you should be absent while they are introduced to the equipment and whilst they swap and listen. They are only told that eg "one of these has a defocussed sound stage, just identify it."

You don't know that "two cables that you know sound different in one particular aspect". That's the crux. You want to do a test to find out.
Such a test you describe would be completely worthless, of course. A step forward would be to say: "I have two cables. Do you think they sound different or not?". But just a step, there's still a long way to go before such a test would be accepted by serious investigators.

Jan Didden

Status
Not open for further replies.