John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigurd, I think your latest characterization of the BF861 is fairly accurate. I asked again about the number of 80nV/rt. Hz regarding the BF862, and my source backed down a little and told he thought that it was what it measured at 1Hz instead of 10Hz. He was just quoting from memory, but he DID find that they were way out of line for low frequency use, in general. They are really RF devices.

john curl said:
Mike, the last guy who criticized me about this, previously said that I didn't know anything about low noise design. Was this accurate, was this fair, was this in the spirit of cooperation and respect?
I quote from post #5925: "I know a former visiting professor of electron device physics and modeling at Stanford and TAMU universities occasionally reading and posting on this form, that based on your contributions here, would not give you a pass mark."
Now what would you call this? Constructive criticism? If I knew the professor, I might be able to answer back, but I don't know who it is. Read the entire post for yourself and please tell me what is fair and equitable?

You proved your knowledge and understanding of noise phenomena around here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1306338#post1306338

If I missed any of your contributions to low noise designs, beyond paralelling 2SK170 in the 70's, just let me know.

I happens that prof. Willy Sansen was my postdoc studies coordinator at K.U. Leuwen in Belgium and I can certainly recommend you start reading his books between the Introduction and the Conclusions. Using a pen and paper during reading is also highly recommended.

I think that it is an honest appraisal of (...your contribution...) here and it is the most direct and honest answer that I could give.

How's the taste of your own medicine?

Mike, I personally own perhaps 500 ea of the devices that Scott Wurcer used. There are NO equivalents available today, except on the black market, to you or anyone else out there. You can't just put up a circuit that can't be built, today! Of course, you 'could' buy a few from Erno Borbely. How many euros does he want for each one? Is it worth spending the extra money to make the second stage as quiet as the first? Would it not waste a precious resource? I ask for your consideration of these questions.

You know Willy? Get him on board. I would LOVE to be criticized by someone of his stature. He might actually teach me something.
Thirty five years ago, I studied under D.O. Pederson and R.G. Meyer. I am probably a little out of date, but does noise change that much? Get Willy to ask R.G. Meyer about me, and my contributions to one of his projects. (and I got paid for my tutorial as well):headshot:

Status
Not open for further replies.