John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
scott wurcer said:
I have another serious blowtorch question. I have a plumber friend and I can get some cut-offs of thick wall copper pipe in big sizes. Would these make a good enclosure? I was thinking of soldering a cap on one end (with a blowtorch of course:clown: ) and screwing a cap down tight on the other end. If it could be made tight enough I might even fill it with inert gas like the wine preserving stuff. I could call it "pipe bomb" or something else clever.

... a tube amp ? :D

Jan Didden

I could call it "pipe bomb" or something else clever.

Good luck selling them mail order :eek:

So will the range of "Fuse Wire" and "Detonator Caps" be following? :D

The following may be of interest,
US Patent 4999602 Resistor for audio/video signal circuit STAX IND LTD (JP)

"A highly accurate resistor for audio/video signal circuits is disclosed, and includes a substantially cylindrical substrate composed of dielectric material, such as ceramics, and a film layer of resistive material, such as tantalum with high purity. The film layer is arranged exclusively on the outer peripheral surface of the substrate such that the dielectric material is exposed on both end surfaces of the substrate. Undesirable eddy currents are prevented or suppressed from being induced on the end surfaces of the substrate as audio/video signal current is supplied to and conducted through the resistor, realizing a significant improvement in the high fidelity or definition of the reproduced sound/picture image."

Nude resistor showed up in Japan years ago
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They call them Skeleton Resistors, with non-magnetic end caps too.

Regards
James

I use the TX2352 (naked S102:s) as default resistor, and I use them everywhere (where power is not too high for them). I love these resistors!

Not sure I will try the VAR from Vishay as I am very pleased with the service I get from Texas Components. They have a new resistor called TX2575 (Z-foil) which might be even better than the TX2352 but only listening tests will verify that.

Then there is the Z-201....

So many resistors so little time.....

John,
I do not find the TX2352 fragile. At about 7 USD each I do take good care of them.

Sigurd

john curl said:
Unfortunately, many here have not tried different resistors, so they don't know what they are criticizing. Some Vishay resistors actually sound relatively lousy, yet have great specs. These resistors look like 'naked' Vishay resistors and they are supposed to sound very good, but they are very expensive and delicate. They sound even better after being cryoed.
Many here have little or no idea what we do to get good sound.

PMA said:
There are so many mistakes in design and production against EMI/RFI rules. These mistakes are VERY obvious. Nobody cares. Everyone cares about resistors and wires used. Strange world, unable to find real reasons, blaming on everything else, snake oil theories. Strange world of strange audiophiles, without any background.

Well said, I once had some very interesting actual network analyser results from some sensitivity to RFI tests on I to V stages at a show and Small (of Theil/Small) told me I was deluding myself (5532 and R/C is all anyone needs).

Status
Not open for further replies.